Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter The Iron Oath - turn-based strategy RPG with awesome pixel art

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by CryptRat, Jan 3, 2017.

1. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/312751524/the-iron-oath-dark-turn-based-tactical-rpg
    Steam Greenlight: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=939157197

https://www.theironoath.com

Show Spoiler
    IndieDB : http://www.indiedb.com/games/the-iron-oath
    Twitter : https://twitter.com/theironoath
    Tumblr : http://theironoath.tumblr.com/
    Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/theironoath

From IndieDB :

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2019
    • Brofist x 16
    • Interesting x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • nice x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Siveon Bot

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Jeez, so many indie PC SRPGs in development. I'm not complaining, but this goes to show that there's an definitely an audience out there for this kind of stuff.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • incline incline x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    what the fuck is srpg now?!
    Soviet-rpg? :D

^ Top  
  4. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Strategy RPG or Tactical RPG, I can't make a definitive choice.

^ Top  
  5. Siveon Bot

Siveon
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    While there would be a huge difference if we took the textbook definition of 'Strategy' and "Tactics", the way people use these terms make it seem interchangeable. So, it doesn't really matter.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. sser Arcane Cuck Developer

sser
    Interesting. Hopefully the battles open up a bit more than what's shown in the animations. I'm kinda surprised there aren't more games like King's Bounty, just indie-ized with pixels and what not. But speaking of pixels, really wish people would stop using them for text. It's not easy to read text that's all blocky and jumbled.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Also, many more games are adding strategic layers. When you have something with both types of gameplay, then it's not appropriate to call them either one.

^ Top  
  8. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    Having to fight in 3 hexes would piss me off. Seems more like Final Fantasy than FFT, unless that was just one area? Also FFT style is one thing, but what made FFT so special to me was varied classes and how they worked. Stuff like the Calculator was cool, and it felt really satisfying when the (Knight?) would fly into the air and come down on an enemy and slash it to bits and then stand next to it for the next round. It also had cool battle areas that were so finely tuned, it could be really hard to win. Games that bust your balls can be so addictive... Also the maps werent very big but they were big enough that you could try different strategies, with splitting your party into 2 or sending one guy away by himself etc.. all of which had big consequences. Anyway good luck, need more strategy games.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. ArchAngel Arcane

ArchAngel
    What, people are now trying to invent and shoehorn games into Strategy RPG group as well?!
    What separates a strategy RPG from a Strategy game like Starcraft 2 or just plain RPG with stronghold mechanics? Don't say turn based combat because that is not a requirement for a Strategy game.

To expand, Sc2 had hero management, base management, resource collection (both for specific mission needs and campaign needs) and lots of cinematic storytelling Mass Effect style (which is considered RPG) in its campaign.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    Strategy is the big picture, and usually things you deal with before a battle. Tactics are smaller scale and focused, what you do in a particular battle.

^ Top  
  11. Lhynn Arcane

Lhynn
    Cool, pixel art. I was afraid that people stopped making those.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    As a purist in these matters, I can definitely appreciate the 1:1 pixel ratio (no mixing of resolutions). But just like in Serpent in the Staglands, the font suffers from either being too small, trying to have too much text on low res screen, or simply not having a very well-designed bitmap. I mean look at those 8:s in the UI.

EDIT: Ooops. Looks like they use glow effects that break the 1:1 rule.
    Well then I don't see why they'd stick with a pixel font.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. mercyRPG Arbiter

mercyRPG
    World map: change font to a better readable one please.
    Combat: Light the scene properly, so no combatant remain in the shadow.

^ Top  
  14. Xeon Augur

Xeon
    Combat doesn't look like either XCOM nor FFT. Looks like an encounter battle instead of a map battle or something.

For a second I thought it looked like Brigandine from the world image.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Does it feature tastefully done rape?

• Shit x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • decline x 1
    • meh x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. sennin Curious Panda Games Developer

sennin
    Hey folks, I'm the artist for The Iron Oath. I stumbled across this thread and figured I would address a few things you have brought up!

The battle areas will definitely vary and open up more than whats shown. When I first made the tileset for that dungeon, our combat was vastly different(basic Final Fantasy) and didn't require more than 2 rows. It's definitely a little cramped now with the new system, and I'll either be tweaking or remaking that tileset in the future.

That font in the world mockup is definitely hard to read. We do have a custom pixel font which is more legible but I think we're going to just go ahead and use a normal font :) The other poster has it right, we're already breaking a few pixel art rules, so we might as well do it with the font!

Ya admittedly those aren't the best comparisons since our combat is encounter based.

We recently launched our website(http://theironoath.com) and have a Devlog over @ TIGSource (https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=58955.0) if anyone wants more info.

• Brofist Brofist x 13
    ^ Top  
  17. Mustawd Arcane

Mustawd
    Love the pixel art!!

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Mazisky Erudite

Mazisky
    any news? the game seems interesting

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    I check their tumblr sometimes. They're currently working on a proper gameplay trailer, I guess it'll give us some info about the game.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. sennin Curious Panda Games Developer

sennin
    We've been meaning to start posting some updates here and were planning to wait until we got the video done before we did that. However we've decided to delay it a bit though and do another polish pass to make sure we give a good first impression, so it will be a bit longer still. Would you guys mind if we started our own development thread in a few weeks time? Perhaps I'll message a mod just to make sure it's alright :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. CryptRat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Developer

CryptRat
    Gameplay trailer :

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Excidium II Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Qt sprites.

How they're all power stancing like

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Don Peste Arcane

Don Peste
    Why everyone is so fit?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. sennin Curious Panda Games Developer

sennin
    Was gonna post the trailer this morning but looks like you beat me to it haha, thanks!

Power stancing has proven to be effective in the face of evil! :)

Still have 8+ classes to design, I'll have at least one larger guy in there heh.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    • 'k 'k x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)