Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
So a bunch of cartoon games where they can easily do exaggerated expressions, which is completely unlike doing realistic or even semi-realistic human expressions, and a game that is the 4th in its respective series so the developers have access to all the ready made tools developed for them by EPIC, and they had the backing of Microsoft from the outset, and it's a linear shooter so they can put more effort into the details of the few human faces in the game (using full facial mocap most likely provided by microsoft). Yeah that's totally the same thing as Obsidian's situation.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
why not just use it from dialogue
*finds a hard lock and tries to interact*
'damn, too difficult. I think Atton can do it!'
'Want me to swap with Atton?'

Save the players trouble lah.
Not very immersive to have your character thinking thoughts not thought by you.

Sentinel

Arcane
So a bunch of cartoon games where they can easily do exaggerated expressions, which is completely unlike doing realistic or even semi-realistic human expressions, and a game that is the 4th in its respective series so the developers have access to all the ready made tools developed for them by EPIC, and they had the backing of Microsoft from the outset, and it's a linear shooter so they can put more effort into the details of the few human faces in the game (using full facial mocap most likely provided by microsoft). Yeah that's totally the same thing as Obsidian's situation.
Exactly. A bunch of cartoon games that showcase how UE4 is not an excuse for shitty 2008 facial expressions. And they were done in half the time TOW takes to develop too! amazing!

1) Gears 4 is the first game not made by Epic
2) What tools ready made by Epic? According to you and your goons UE4 has shitty facial animation tools, and thus the job all falls on the poor developers who have to waste big amount of development time because mean epic doesn't provide the appropriate tools. Decide which one it is because you can't have both.
3) Obsidian has the backing of Take Two, the company that has its name on the two biggest product launches in the history of entertainment as well as multiple fastest selling records
4) TOW is already established to not be open world, so that excuse of "well the other games are linear so it isn't fair!" flies straight out the fucking window.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Being a high-budget linear shooter, GeoW4 most certainly utilized facial capture tech.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
I'm currently playing the most recent Call of Cthulhu game, which is also using Unreal Engine 4 so I guess it's safe to say that there will be some graphical similarities between this and TOW.

It does have a certain Gamebryo/Creation vibe in the way your character moves around and interacts with the world, and the NPCs' faces are rather expressionless and Prosper-y at times. The environmental effects are nice though.

FCIVInZ.jpg

hVJidST.jpg

t647PuK.jpg

T8oSRJz.jpg

At least, unlike Gamebryo/Creation, UE4 will allow the game's world to be inhabited by more than 6 NPCs I guess.
that has nothing to do with engine limitations. There's plenty UE4 games with good facial animations.

m5sXBzk.png

FOQBcFz.png

The Real Fanboy
While I already think The Outer Worlds is such an iconic lewk, future Obsidian Xbox games will obvi be using this tech:

The Outer World 2’s fotd’s will be flawless!

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Tim: None of our villains ever feel like they're just, 'I'm evil and twiddling my mustache for the fun of it.' They always think they're being good or they know they're being evil, but there's ultimately a good goal or they feel like there's no other choice but to do this

We need more psycho villains

...as protagonists.
...as romance options.

That we already have. Women are psycho villains by default.
:negative:
I know!

Black Angel

Arcane
I'd say they should've stick with Source engine instead
15507.jpg

Fucking Valve :argh:

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
My uncle is Tim Caen and he said he's going to put a Codex Troll in my copy of TOW. Enjoy your diversity guys, I'm going to play with a bunch of troll supremacists.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And nowwwwwww for something a bit more on-topic. Kate "anything for a" Dollarhyde has a reddit account, and here's something she said a couple of days ago https://www.reddit.com/user/kdollarhyde

kdollarhyde commented on Serious question... why is there so much lesbian representation but so little about gay men?

I'm sorry you're being downvoted. I think you have a valid point, and this is something I will work to rectify in my future writing. I know it's not always easy to speak up, and I appreciate you doing so.

I'm asexual, a frequently misunderstood and marginalized identity.
Asexual representation is absolutely another thing we can do better. Like I told OP, this is something I will think about and try to rectify in my own writing.

No doubt big bear Tim will put a rubberstamp on all these loud and proud gay and ace men she wants to include. The Outer Worlds is going to look like a pride parade by the time they're through.

By the way, it's "I appreciate your doing so," Ms. Writer.

laclongquan

Arcane
And nowwwwwww for something a bit more on-topic. Kate "anything for a" Dollarhyde has a reddit account, and here's something she said a couple of days ago https://www.reddit.com/user/kdollarhyde

kdollarhyde commented on Serious question... why is there so much lesbian representation but so little about gay men?

I'm sorry you're being downvoted. I think you have a valid point, and this is something I will work to rectify in my future writing. I know it's not always easy to speak up, and I appreciate you doing so.

I'm asexual, a frequently misunderstood and marginalized identity.
Asexual representation is absolutely another thing we can do better. Like I told OP, this is something I will think about and try to rectify in my own writing.

No doubt big bear Tim will put a rubberstamp on all these loud and proud gay and ace men she wants to include. The Outer Worlds is going to look like a pride parade by the time they're through.

By the way, it's "I appreciate your doing so," Ms. Writer.
I am sorry Roguey but who is Kate and why should we care about a twobit supposedly-writer LGBT-bias attention seeker?

Butter

Arcane
Patron
"i need you to rescue my husband from the alien bandits! yeah thats right im a male npc and im asking for you to save my HUSBAND. is that a problem?"

"im a female npc on this outer world outpost and i sure miss my WIFE who is at home with our kid. yeah im a female and i have a WIFE."

some leaked dialogue from the outer worlds
Fake news. No Obsidian NPC just cuts to the chase like that. Where's the florid description of somebody's table linen and the smell of burnt holly?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom