Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
c2f.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
that has nothing to do with engine limitations. There's plenty UE4 games with good facial animations.
Tools are a factor when it comes to how much time you need to spend to make good facial animations. Valve put a lot of work into their facial animation tools for Source, Epic not so much.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Tim: None of our villains ever feel like they're just, 'I'm evil and twiddling my mustache for the fun of it.' They always think they're being good or they know they're being evil, but there's ultimately a good goal or they feel like there's no other choice but to do this

We need more psycho villains

...as protagonists.
...as romance options.

mondblut

Arcane
The creators of The Outer Worlds on learning to make better RPGs

So they are an equivalent of a bright kid who's got all As at his first grade at the elementary school, but then began skipping classes, hanging out with wrong kind of company, and by the end of the primary school was a glue-snuffing deadbeat delinquent?

They could use a little less learning of this kind.

mondblut

Arcane
Tim: None of our villains ever feel like they're just, 'I'm evil and twiddling my mustache for the fun of it.' They always think they're being good or they know they're being evil, but there's ultimately a good goal or they feel like there's no other choice but to do this

We need more psycho villains

...as protagonists.
...as romance options.

That we already have. Women are psycho villains by default.

Oracsbox

Companions are a tricky one
Firstly the fuckers need to get out my way when I need to get out a door or go down a narrow corridor.
They need to shut the fuck up when they've said the same thing more than twice(max).
"Stealth"will they stealth or run in like jihadists the minute they see someone.
Will they target something I tell them too ?
Will they revive me ?

Far Cry 5 companions did all of this except some dialogue repetition.So it can be done.The thing is will it be the case here.

Oracsbox

The moment your retarded companion triggers the trap you've just avoided is when you decide never to have one.
This as well

I don't want them to have a character quest a couple of long winded dialogues and then the same wise cracks repeated over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
They need to interact in a believable consistent way.Mechanically they need to act quickly and concisely with their actions.If they don't do any of this shit then fuck off and shove 'em up your arse

Glenda Glenn

Learned
Companions are also a burden, not just physical, but emotional as well. Remember the number of times you had to reload while trying to save Dogmeat in Fallout? Or in games like Mass Effect, in which you felt obligated to make sure every companion survive the mission? Having companions might hinder your ability to role-play the way you want.

Oracsbox

Companions are also a burden, not just physical, but emotional as well. Remember the number of times you had to reload while trying to save Dogmeat in Fallout? Or in games like Mass Effect, in which you felt obligated to make sure every companion survive the mission? Having companions might hinder your ability to role-play the way you want.
oh I don't mind if the fuckers die :D

Sentinel

Arcane
that has nothing to do with engine limitations. There's plenty UE4 games with good facial animations.
Tools are a factor when it comes to how much time you need to spend to make good facial animations. Valve put a lot of work into their facial animation tools for Source, Epic not so much.
Cool, so it's not an engine limitation, just Obsidian being the usual retards. "hey guys we chose to not spend so much time on X so we could focus on Y". Game releases, Y is a shitshow/mediocre anyway.
Tools being a possible limitation doesn't change the fact that lesser developers achieved much better facial animations in UE4 in half the time it has taken Obsidian to develop TOW by the time it comes out.

Codex Year of the Donut
the game engine itself has little to do with facial animations unless it's stuck in 1994 and incapable of handling morph targets.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Cool, so it's not an engine limitation, just Obsidian being the usual retards. "hey guys we chose to not spend so much time on X so we could focus on Y". Game releases, Y is a shitshow/mediocre anyway.
Tools being a possible limitation doesn't change the fact that lesser developers achieved much better facial animations in UE4 in half the time it has taken Obsidian to develop TOW by the time it comes out.
How do you want their budget spent?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom