Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline The Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Vaarna_Aarne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Expect mobile so that your hopes don't get obliterated.

^ Top  
  2. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    Why post Valkyrie Profile news here?

Anyways, 2nd game was already total shit anyway.

^ Top  
  3. CrimsonAngel Prophet

CrimsonAngel
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Yes and no. The story was Garbage, but i kind of liked it in this strange fucked op surreal way.
    Lets go to school and have school time anime adventures, but with a back drop of a massive war.....

^ Top  
  4. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Hope after all?

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/05/2...-big-changes-make-less-action-y-strategy-rpg/

2 also had the best character development system, mostly because it was the simplest. Kill enough things as a class to spec into the upgraded version of that class. Always an underrated system.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. SwiftCrack Arcane

SwiftCrack
    This reminds me I'm still not done with VP1

^ Top  
  6. an Administrator Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
    The mission where you have to destroy that big tank is literally the worst.
    It's basically a turn-based Hidden & Dangerous with animu cutscenes but with a better tactical approach.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    It truly is amazing how often the oft-used quote by Antoine de Saint-Exupery is right on the mark.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    Just beat the first one. A solid strategy game that I appreciate because it offers game-play that manages to be different from the norm and yet still enjoyable. The only problem with the game is that the end-game levels dive into typical overpowered jrpg boss territory. The last bosses also tend to have abilities that break established rules.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Morgoth Arcane

Morgoth
  10. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    Whole lot of nothing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    It's been out for two weeks, reviews are mixed at best.

[​IMG]

• Excited! Excited! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    Boob bigger than head.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Abu Antar Tweet, tweet Patron

Abu Antar
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Saw that a lot when I was in Barcelona.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. BreadGrill Literate

BreadGrill
    Does anyone know how to get in contact with the people that made the VC3 english patch? I would like to improve the text overflows, typos etc and translate the DLC and other untranslated content. I need their help with decrypting some of the DLC files (XOR encryption?) and I NEED their tools (if they made any) for editing the .mtp files because SEGA decided to increment the bytes of the text by 1 so hex editing these files manually is way too cumbersome.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. spekkio Arcane

spekkio
  16. BreadGrill Literate

BreadGrill
    Yeah, they don't respond there but I just found an email I missed before so I might try that.

^ Top  
  17. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus

interdasting

^ Top  
  18. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    brehs just started VC2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  19. Shinji Learned

Shinji
    Series died after the first one.
    Just like Dead Rising

^ Top  
  20. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    I know I'm quoting a post older than my join date, but ffs, every time I see this thread I am reminded that VC is the greatest game I can't play.

I mean, awesome combat but the writing is actively painful. I've tried to play it three times and I simply crumble after some exceedingly retarded cutscene. I mean, Rance games are less aggressively dumb than VC.

It's like the writers feed on the pain of non-otaku audience.

The pain :negative:

• Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    While VC does some mistakes in writing and "looks" like it has common anime problems, VC is relatively free of anime garbage. IDK where you quit but VC is one of the better written games.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. abnaxus Arcane

abnaxus
    VC2 makes VC1 look like Dostoyevsky.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Completely agree. There's so much bullshit about vegetables, pig creatures, and HA HA FUNNY!, fortunately the gameplay itself was fucking great.

^ Top  
  24. Dayyālu Arcane

Dayyālu
    I can't even

BEGIN

to imagine the horror

^ Top  
  25. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I think the key point to understand is that vast majority of game writing is absolutely atrocious. Valkyria Chronicles at the very least feels like it has actual characters who develop in a proper manner, and Max's improbably supply of giant tanks aside for the most part it has a (standardfare) story that makes sense (for example the plot isn't figuratively AND literally kidnapped by the Joker like in Arkham City), and there is chemistry in the romance (which is more than, say, a certain studio that CATERS to a particular crowd obsessed with this stuff, and it comes off as, errrrr, fanservice)

For example, I'd say VC1 was more enjoyable storywise than for example Mass Effect 2.

So I suppose what I'm saying (and said ages ago) is that 99% of games have absolutely shit (or non-existent) storytelling. Doom could be the best vidya story ever if they just incorporated some manic adlib self-monologue to it in the vein of the legendary masterpiece-tier comic adaptation.

Well there is the team mascot but that's really small and something Japs cannot help themselves with, I'd jot down a negative mark on the fact that the plot above the character-level story (the ancient secrets and ancient stuff stuff) is very standard fare (though they have the courtesy of having no prophecies, my pet hate cliche when used straight), but I think overall what makes it is that the character-level story works, there's a sense of genuine chemistry with Welkin and Alicia (and the game does take its time with this), and it has a number of bits where it diverges from the default setting for stories like Zaka's reaction to the demolished Darcsen concentration camp barracks.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)