Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TOEE is orgasmic

biggestboss

Liturgist
Hmm, I think I'm going to have to rethink my party or how I play this game because I'm getting my ass kicked by random skeletons and bandits. Somehow I did beat the giant frogs encounter on my first attempt by sleeping them and disengaging multiple times.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hmm, I think I'm going to have to rethink my party or how I play this game because I'm getting my ass kicked by random skeletons and bandits. Somehow I did beat the giant frogs encounter on my first attempt by sleeping them and disengaging multiple times.

You're using blunt weapons against skeletons, right?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My cleric has a mace but he lands a hit like 1 out of 10 times. His accuracy could use some Sawyerism to be honest.

Everyone needs blunt weapons for skeletons. Don't even bother trying to attack them with slashing and piercing.

(clerics are also great at becoming fighters, take bless/aid and divine favor)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Just keep going imo, the balance is all over the place. It starts hard, then after a while you are blowing up entire rooms of stuff with 50 fireballs, ice storms, and super long, super wide cones of cold, and other shit. Then it gets hard again when you reach a big bad boss. Level 1 and 2 is miss miss miss. Level 3 you can start spanking stuff. If you are still struggling tell us your party and we can tell you the tricks. Like if you have a Cleric you can kill a whole room of skellies with turn undead. Or get someone with a mace and give them Guidance. Or if all else fails, have your tank just absorb the hits and take them down one by one with magic missiles. Or something. You can overcome everything somehow :) And then you become god.

That said my party is pretty boring and typical. Next time I play this I wanna pick more whimsical stuff. My current party is just all business.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Also I just got my first taste of my rogue becoming strong. She just did 58 damage to an ogre in one turn.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Wow I have nearly finished the game, my interest didn't wane at all this time. I am even itching to play through it again with a different type of party but I will probably wait a few years so it feels fresh again.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Bassanio down! Took me about 5 attempts but only cuz I like to try stuff. The man himself dies quite easy but the 2 huge elementals guys cast a fireball and my party just can't eat 2 fireballs at once. On some attempts they only did one per turn, but I couldn't have healed through it anyway. I was determined to try to kill them before they nuked me but it didn't seem possible with my party. In the end I noticed that they always target the fireballs on my wizzy, so I just ran him to the far side by himself. They fireballed him about 5 times and every one got completely resisted :smug: Not even sure what achieved that to be honest, he has ring of minor fire resistance but nothing else. Although my team is level 10 so that probably nailed it. Without those fireballs doing anything the fight was really easy, Bassanio died in a few hits, all the smaller fire elementals died in 1 or 2 hits, and then the 2 big guys just got the wrath of all my spells. Took a hell of a beating though... Cone of cold hurt them, then 2 or 3 ice storms, holy smite, and they were still alive! But a few hits finished them off. I didn't even bother replacing all my fire spells for that battle, just used whatever else I had, I didn't bother using cleric item buffs either. But I think I will need everything for the final boss.

The water and earth bosses are all dead too. Water boss was the most fun for me. Not sure what else there is to do. I still never found the third town. All I can find left to do is the boss that summons his god to help, and the boss that ends the game when you win. I'll do some more exploring before I finish them off.

Max Damage

Savant
I find fire resistance to be essential when fighting those fireballing salamanders. Verbobonc - you automatically go there after dealing with last boss.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I just killed Hedrack but on my first attempt he summoned the god Iuz to help him, then after whooping the god he flees but resurrects everyone that had died (including half my party). So I reloaded cuz I wanted a better fight. The second attempt I killed Hedrack before he even summoned the god. :( Seems like killing him fast cheats you out of an interesting battle. Strange game design too, a player who struggles gets the battle turned into a much harder one. A player that is already too strong gets a shorter simpler fight. It is like the opposite of balance, but I guess that is pretty refreshing :D

I was gonna reload to let him summon Iuz but considering he teleports away, I wont bother. I am just gonna face the final guy and then see what happens. Finishing this game will be :<

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
On vanilla ToEE, you at mid level(8~10) is expected to be able to survive many rounds against an demi god(Iuz) and kill an demon prince who controls one layer of abyss...

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I got lucky against him because he was right on top of my team killing people with 1 hit, then I summoned a wolf miles away and he wasted about 2 turns running over to it :D It gave me a chance to nuke him in the back. I forgot about all the elemental rooms, I am clearing them now. They will take me quite some time.

biggestboss

Liturgist
This is going to sound really stupid and obvious, but the game is so much different when you're not level 1 anymore. Really starting to like this game now.

Max Damage

Savant
Well, level 1 characters are most of time just 1 hit away from being KO'd. Some of my parties farm Deklo Grove until level 2 just to not get anyone killed by that Moathouse barbarian (and ogre). It all depends on how much you like spellcasting, because mages get pampered by ToEE and 3.5E in general. Scribing scrolls makes those first couple of levels much less of a pain in the arse.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
This is going to sound really stupid and obvious, but the game is so much different when you're not level 1 anymore. Really starting to like this game now.
Yeah level 1 sucks. Even level 2 is still a bit gimpy but it starts getting a lot better around 2 and especially 3.

Lios

Cipher
Is it fun rolling a monk? And having him slap bitches around unarmed?

Max Damage

Savant
Not really, he'll be weak until late levels, and even then he won't be amazing. You may instead want try taking 1 level dip into monk for your lvl 5 druid, animal shape works well with flurry and wisdom bonus to AC. Also, Amulet of Mighty Blows is what your druid will need to craft too. Cleric taking 1 level dip works too.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I totally underrated Turn Undead, which pissed me off at level 1 because all it would do is make zombies run away from my cleric and I'd have to chase them down. Just used it again around level 3 in the Moathouse dungeon and it destroyed every enemy on the screen instantly - felt very rewarding.

biggestboss

Liturgist
Now that I've explored a bit of the actual Temple itself, I have a hankering to read some posts from the authoritative source.

Also, this one fight at the Water Temple with the Juggernaut is fucking owning me.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I just explored the whole temple, save every time you explore a room. Try a fight a few times, and if it seems too hard, load the savegame and skip that room. Eventually you kill all the weaker stuff in the temple and gets lots of levels and gear, and you can save the harder fights for later on. That Water Temple battle I did at level 10. It was still a challenge but at least with level 10 your party is really strong and can handle almost anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom