Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which has better combat? Deadfire or Origins?

Which has better combat?

• Dragon Age: Origins

Votes: 42 46.7%
  • Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Votes: 48 53.3%

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
*shrug* Would love to hear a counter to any of the points I brought up.

The site is basically NMA version 2 for all the NMAers who probably got banned for slagging off F3 too much. You're free to say you dislike Fallout, but if you make a big thing of it, you know, like mention facts and observations beyond a post or two, you're just going to be spending most of your time fielding 12th grade one-liners and receive an influx of profile labels. Just treat it like that Larian game that bugged out on you that one time and mention it here and there but generally don't bother aiming the digs in any actual related threads, etc etc.
Appreciate the advice mate, good to know.

You might like to read octavius 's recent posts on the game (he'll have to link as I can't be arsed to stalk his last 1,000 posts). He's only recently tried it for the first time & he loathed the start of it, at least was near to quitting, but he found that the mid-section to end made him really like it. It's more common than you think. I've never got past the drudgery phase of the game either, but as I'm not a post-apoc fan anyway I didn't have any determination to get to the "good bit".

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I edited my post while you were typing that. He'll be around at some point, he's a daily bro.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
ItsChon what rpgs do you like?
IWD series
BG series
PS:T
UnderRail
KotOR
King of the Dragon Pass
Grim Fandango
Banner Saga was 'ight.

Those are just some that come to mind. I'm also into a few rouge-likes with some RPG elements; as well as some PnC adventure games. PS:T and UnderRail are probably my favorite games of all time atm.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
ItsChon what rpgs do you like?
IWD series
BG series
PS:T
UnderRail
KotOR
King of the Dragon Pass
Grim Fandango
Banner Saga was 'ight.

Those are just some that come to mind. I'm also into a few rouge-likes with some RPG elements; as well as some PnC adventure games. PS:T and UnderRail are probably my favorite games of all time atm.
gallery_63654_40_37392_png.jpg

jungl

Augur
Abilities look more cool and you use them more often then Pillars. Dragon age 2 is aesthetic fun to watch the animations and you the player feel cool just barely surviving a encounter on nightmare difficulty. If you go in fresh to both franchises in Pillars the only memorable encounters would be the ghosts from the first game that rape aloth while dragon age will be most of the games in their entirety. Dragon age 3 I didn't enjoy fighting dragons in 3 was okay however.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
And what game on that list is bad?
In the What game are you wasting time on? thread.
My first post about Fallout 2.

I don't think I was close to quitting, though.
These days I complete things I've started properly. Of course some things and some games you realize very quickly are not worth wasting time on.
Perhaps in the future. After like ten minutes, I want to alt f4 and just walk away from the computer.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
And what game on that list is bad?
Absolutely non,and that is the problem mate. You are just trolling around writing how every game is shit and then you just write a bunch of classics as your favourites. Clearly you must be a troll mate.

PS:What about Arcanum?

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Absolutely non,and that is the problems mate. You are just trolling around writing how every game is shit
Fallout doesn't equal every game mate, and I've praised a lot of the titles I mentioned. I'm not some fucking grog that likes shitty Bethesda walking simulators, or thinks BG is the height of all RPG's. I just call it like I see it. As for Arcanum, here are my views on the matter,

Any semblance of Arcanum being a good game is buried under shit UI, graphics, and gameplay, that people who still maintain its excellence are either in denial or nostalgic.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Looking through his content, where did he post it?

In the What game are you wasting time on? thread.
My first post about Fallout 2.

I don't think I was close to quitting, though.
These days I complete things I've started properly. Of course some things and some games you realize very quickly are not worth wasting time on.

We were talking about Fallout 1 at that point in the convo. I thought you started a unique thread about that? Or it was some specifically Fallout thread?

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
It felt like DA:Origin's spells and abilities were more impactful and less boring. A few examples-

Fireball, which has a chance to knock the enemy prone in addition to doing fire damage. Hella fun spell.
Backstab/sneak attack actually did a good amount of damage, so you were always trying to position yourself to get it(that handy flank indicator helped). Compare to Deadfire, where it's just another damage multiplier and didn't feel special at all.
Combos. I don't know if they started the whole spell combo thing, but it was a highlight of the game.

They also did spell buffs right by making them passive toggles that took up a portion of your mana.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They also did spell buffs right by making them passive toggles that took up a portion of your mana.
The problem with this was that the upkeep was a fixed amount, so boosting your willpower makes having a bunch of them on trivial. DA2 fixed it by changing it to a percentage.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The problem with this was that the upkeep was a fixed amount, so boosting your willpower makes having a bunch of them on trivial. DA2 fixed it by changing it to a percentage.
Boosting WIL make it so your INT was lower and thus spells were less effective.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can't pile them on forever. I tried an Arcane Warrior once and the buffs gobbled up all my mana. I guess that's why people combo it with Blood Mage. There were also very specific spells you could cast with your weapons drawn, so it was a bit clunky. Auto-attacking with your weapon wasn't very effective either. I don't get the Arcane Warrior hype basically.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Oh, Fallout 1.
The thing with Fallout 1 was that I quit it the first time I played it, 10 years ago. It just didn't grab me, and I was a quitter then.
But I liked it much more when I gave it a second chance quite recently, even though I didn't like the beginning much.

I did some searching and I did make a specific thread about my first experience with Fallout 1.

Just so everyone knows, this oldfag has no credibility at all. He only recently played Fallout, Fallout 2 and Jagged Alliance 2 for the first time (he lies about trying Fallout back in the day). Amusingly, he has played no Troika game yet he has played Oblivion. :lol:

He is also extremely butthurt about my blog's ever-steepening influence (though, to be fair, many are).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm currently writing up a Top 10 Butthurt Codexers and a Top 10 Codex Shitposters article for my blog; a contrast to my monocled posters write-up. I am much better at criticism than I am at praise, so stay tuned. This is gonna be good.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Oh, Fallout 1.
The thing with Fallout 1 was that I quit it the first time I played it, 10 years ago. It just didn't grab me, and I was a quitter then.
But I liked it much more when I gave it a second chance quite recently, even though I didn't like the beginning much.

I did some searching and I did make a specific thread about my first experience with Fallout 1.

Just so everyone knows, this oldfag has no credibility at all. He only recently played Fallout, Fallout 2 and Jagged Alliance 2 for the first time

Why is that important???

(he lies about trying Fallout back in the day).

:retarded:
Amusingly, he has played no Troika game yet he has played Oblivion. :lol:

Oh no, did I break some code of behaviour?
Again, why is it important to you???

He is also extremely butthurt about my blog's ever-steepening influence (though, to be fair, many are).

:retarded:

You are losing it, baby.

And who cares about an audience?
But it seems you take it very hard that I don't follow your blog.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom