Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who is the best RPG gamer?

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
How do we measure success in RPGs?

Fighting games or RTS games might measure success by having players fight each other on a leaderboard.
A grand strategy single player game might measure success by how quickly someone beat the game on a certain difficulty.

But RPGs are more than just a game, it's central to the genre to have an engaging story and be immersed into the world. How do we measure how engaged someone is in their role playing? Do good role-playing-game gamers actually role play? How much roleplay would a roleplayer play if a roleplayer could roleplay roleplays?

Radech

Augur
I remember my old pnp gm giving out bonus xp for novel ideas and good roleplay, but it hardly matters in crpgs.

I find the skills I've acquired through playing rpg's throughout the years have been detrimental to the experience(noticing the correct path through a dungeon and then exploring everything else beforehand, savescumming until I get the perfect result, rerolling 200 times until I have the 'perfect' character etc etc), I'm trying to unlearn it because it makes playing rpg's an autistic drag, and the only result is that it trivializes combat encounters sucking the fun further out of it. I would say the best RPG gaming skill would be to be able to yolo hard and still make it through by using your skill for improvising with an unoptimized party and shitty gear. Kinda makes me wish checkpoint systems(like the semi ironman in Fallout:tactics) where available as an alternative to full iron man, because it's just not very interesting in games with sudden power spikes and a myriad of hard counters.

Edit: just remembered this is why I liked Kingdom Come so much, you still have the schnaps for occasional savescummy stuff (e.g. can I take on this group, steal from this chest) but it was more natural to just gear up to do a quest and if you failed you'd be back in the city where you set off from.

Trashos

Arcane
In terms of combat, people who can come up with their own builds and beat the game ironman-style on hardest difficulty are naturally the "best" players (I 'd probably call them expert players).

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Do you remember that retarted maraphon EA made for promoting DA:O?

Several "teams from all round the world" gathered in a studio to play the game for 24 hours straight, just to see who is the bestest(!) rpg-player of all times by getting as far as possible along the plot.

While one dude rushed through the game, others were answering questions like how their pro-tactic consisted of skipping dialog lines and avoiding side-quests and combat or doing some other shit that they pro-rpg-players usually do for winning.

And look how far bEAware has gotten since that glorious day. %)

Abhay

Augur
Time you spend doesn't matter. How much you accomplish in a given time, and importantly, the approach to the same should answer your main question.

I spend around 1 to 2 hours but the progression is quite slow irrespective of the times I have completed the game, simply because I always attempt to find new approaches for playing a mission, task or any activity required for progression.

Moreover, I tend to spend a lot of time exploring the surrounding environment before moving forward with the story, or missions.

So, I would say, the best RPG gamer is the one who doesn't rush into doing anything while playing the game and applies his own mind instead of only following the game instructions. The player should be willing to experiment in roleplaying. This can be time consuming and requires patience and focus on players part.
Most old RPGcs are perfect to measure a player's skills and experience in this regard than the current RPG's.

Martyr

Arcane
she's gone. :negative:

When did she leave? Did I miss on 'dex drama?

no drama, she left unexpectedly. her last post:

Thanks for the replies, guys! I have a l'il announcement to make, and I know some of you will be happy to hear it.

I'm not going to be posting on the 'Dex anymore. I'm just going to log out, lurk from now on and commentate on the odd public forum post (GoG, reddit, 'Dex).

Thank you to everyone who has challenged me over the years. It's been fun to post here, but it's time to move on.

Cheers!

Lilura.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom