Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is Dragon's Dogma a top 101 rpg?

Sentinel

Arcane
If you don't have a special appreciation for european mythology and action combat you won't find anything in the game that will please you.
Buahahahahaha i don't know if you are for serious or just trolling. Buahahaha european mythology,buahahahahaha ok mate nice one,i will give you that.
Feel free to find me a game with better representation of its various mythological creatures.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I tried Dragon's Dogma a couple of months ago and I immediately refunded it. It presented itself in a way that immediately made me lose interest in everything the game represented. I just can't find any fun in spamming the same abilities over and over again without any semblance of strategy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If you don't have a special appreciation for european mythology and action combat you won't find anything in the game that will please you.
Buahahahahaha i don't know if you are for serious or just trolling. Buahahaha european mythology,buahahahahaha ok mate nice one,i will give you that.
Feel free to find me a game with better representation of its various mythological creatures.
:smug:

467620-titan-quest-anniversary-edition-playstation-4-front-cover.png

193721-rise-of-the-argonauts-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg

image_cover.jpg

And those just on top of my head lol. Are you for real ??? Even fucking D&D games are better than that jap shit. There is a shit ton of mythology games out there.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

barghwata

Savant
I am honestly baffled by this inclusion lol. The game is a second hand Two Worlds with a spice of kingdoms of amalur. Both of those games are not some kind of classic or very good,but they are still far better than dragon's dogma. Why is this third rate action rpg a codexian top ????

I completely disagree, but i am curious about why you think that, could you give me some examples of what you consider first rate action RPGs, and when i say "first rate" i only mean in terms of the quality of the combat system not writing or something else irrelevant like that.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I have seen some gifs that make Dogma look interesting, but when I played it I lasted for 5 hours trying to get it to interest me and it never did. It is just so bland and uninvolving.

barghwata

Savant
I have seen some gifs that make Dogma look interesting, but when I played it I lasted for 5 hours trying to get it to interest me and it never did. It is just so bland and uninvolving.

Did you actually get to fight any bosses in the first 5 hours? and i am not talking about the first Hydra boss you fight cuz that one was just a tutorial i mean real bosses, cuz bosses are the best part of the game, it's probably the main reason why so many people love it in the first place.

new fucking guy

Scholar
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Nice locations, memorable story and pawn system. Basically atmospherefaggotry with decent action type combat.

Sentinel

Arcane

image_cover.jpg

And those just on top of my head lol. Are you for real ??? Even fucking D&D games are better than that jap shit. There is a shit ton of mythology games out there.
None of those have the fidelity or interactivity of DD lol.

Codex Year of the Donut

image_cover.jpg

"interactivity"
oh wow I was able to crawl on a monster SO INTERACTIVE

Sentinel

Arcane

image_cover.jpg

"interactivity"
oh wow I was able to crawl on a monster SO INTERACTIVE
seems more interactive than right clicking on a monster that is just a reskin of all the 200 units in the game

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I am honestly baffled by this inclusion lol. The game is a second hand Two Worlds with a spice of kingdoms of amalur. Both of those games are not some kind of classic or very good,but they are still far better than dragon's dogma. Why is this third rate action rpg a codexian top ????

I completely disagree, but i am curious about why you think that, could you give me some examples of what you consider first rate action RPGs, and when i say "first rate" i only mean in terms of the quality of the combat system not writing or something else irrelevant like that.
Risen 1,mount and blade and Gothic 2 for example,tho i don't really care about combat that much. Still DD's combat is very basic lol,there isn't even blocking or dodging buttons,and i am not talking about DS tumbling around and being immortal.

Either you are a disingenuous fuck or a fucking retard,you decide which one lol. Reactivity in a generic action jrpg......aha,what is next,larian and good writing?!

seems more interactive than right clicking on a monster that is just a reskin of all the 200 units in the game
Ahh ok forget my question,retard it is. Clearly you haven't played any of those and you just spilling shit and hyping the game you like. All of them have more reactivity than push W till you are at the head and then spam attack.

Puukko

Arcane
I've spent some 300 hours on Dragon's Dogma over the years and there's a few reasons why I rate it so highly;

1) The presentation - being a last gen game, it certainly had to make amends on the technical side, but the voice acting, world, spell effects and animations are all very expressive.
2) Exploring the world really feels like an adventure, even if it is average in size at best in terms of open worlds in RPGs. Going through the areas for the first time is great, particularly at night, and even on subsequent playthroughs I have to treat major enemies on the way as serious roadblocks, like ogres, chimaeras and most notably drakes. The setting itself cannot be described as anything other than generic, but this is not necessarily a bad thing - it has faithful depictions of well known mythological monsters and a rather cozy medieval setting. The plot is surprisingly interesting once you know Grigori's purpose.
3) The soundtrack is fantastic, especially with how music ramps up as the stakes get higher:

4) The combat is actually really good in terms of real time combat in RPGs. There is physicality, which the animations help with. The magic system is often cited but I admit this is a bit disgenuous as what people mean by this are the effects themselves - the act of casting itself is mostly about positioning and timing, then waiting still for possibly a dozen seconds or more.
5) Bitterblack Isle is some of my favorite dungeon crawling ever. Hordes of increasingly dangerous monsters with a unique upgrade system in dragonforging. Scaling a huge bound ogre or getting ambushed by a cursed dragon will always get my adrenaline going.

The shortcomings:

- Mediocre enemy variety with a fair amount of recolors.
- World would greatly benefit from an increase in size in combination with the above. The moon was actually supposed to be an actual location but ended up getting scrapped.
- This isn't a game you play for great characters, but it doesn't even attempt to be that.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
First playthrough I found quite enjoyable, a 4/5 experience mostly because I really enjoyed the duel wield assassin combat. But it's barely an RPG, full of repetitive shit, and I've not been able to play past the first hour or so on subsequent returns.

It's OK, but a lot of the criticism is very valid.

Likey Rusty, I actually enjoyed Kingdoms of Amalur too, and preferred it to Dragon's Dogma overall. DD was the better first time experience, but there was a better RPG experience in KOAR if you dug deep enough & played it the right way (ignoring 70% of the shit thrown at you, and concentrating on the main quest + a handful of guild quests).

Both games suffered hugely for the Open World/MMO trend, both games could do with a refined sequel.

Anonona

Learned
Risen 1,mount and blade and Gothic 2 for example,tho i don't really care about combat that much. Still DD's combat is very basic lol,there isn't even blocking or dodging buttons,and i am not talking about DS tumbling around and being immortal.

There is blocking, parrying, dodging and counter-attacks, different kinds in fact depending on which classes you use. Blocking consume stamina, and big monster will consume it very fast unless you use special enchantments or skills, or you perform perfect blocking (parries). Assassin has numerous ways to avoid damage, and Strider is able to "reset" its stance, allowing you to recover instantly out of the recovery animation of attacks, allowing for some neat tricks if used properly. When it comes to spell casting, you can synchronize spells with your pawns to speed up your cast times, and enchantments are incredible powerful. Magic Archer has many situational spells, including some that consist on sacrificing your own pawns to deal massive damage. There are actually quite a lot of different mechanics and combinations you can use.

Either you are a disingenuous fuck or a fucking retard,you decide which one lol. Reactivity in a generic action jrpg......aha,what is next,larian and good writing?!

Ahh ok forget my question,retard it is. Clearly you haven't played any of those and you just spilling shit and hyping the game you like. All of them have more reactivity than push W till you are at the head and then spam attack.[

Different monsters react differently to certain attacks and spells. Cyclops become stunned if you use thunder. If they are wearing a helmet and you climb at the top of their head, you can trick them and make them take their helmet off, Ogres will attack females on sight. The leader of the female bandits hate men and will attack you if you have any men on your party. Almost all quest have different outcomes depending on how you do your quest, often times they will not be evident until you reach the end of the game. The Black Cat, a shop dealing in shady business, allows you to make false imitation of items without their magic properties, and you can trick an incredible amount of characters and unlock different endings for different quest. Each monster have weaknesses that you must learn: the gryfin hates fire, and if its feathers burn it won't be able to fly, when fighting the chimera, the lions' head fears fire and it will slow it down, while using silence spell will make the goat head unable to cast spells, you can trick the hydra to swallow explosives and then make them explode to cut its head off, Ogres are very weak to status effects, ghost cannot be damaged by physical combat unless you let them posses you, which also drains your health, Golems are immune to magic, and many more specific behaviors and reactions of monsters. Certain spells can be used to reach higher places, like the icicle spell. Your pawns will learn from the player behavior and by being summoned by others, in particular the monster behaviors I have mentioned, and a long etc. Also, if you have to grind on anything but the optional super boss of Dark Arisen, then probably you are not playing very well, or are playing on Normal, which you should never do as Hard is more fun, and it drops more gold, meaning you can upgrade your equipment faster, which is more important than your character level.

You call him retard, but so far you have only be insulting, saying things are shit just because and playing the victim, again, with Larian and BG3 despite this thread having nothing to do with that.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
But it's barely an RPG, full of repetitive shit, and I've not been able to play past the first hour or so on subsequent returns.
Who even cares how much of a pure rpg it is. The truth is the stats do matter, and there is some C&C.
Though i will grant you theres a fair bit of repetitive content.

I actually enjoyed Kingdoms of Amalur too
Oh fuck off, that shit was awful.

DD was the better first time experience
Thats the only one that really matters in these kind of games.

Both games suffered hugely for the Open World/MMO trend, both games could do with a refined sequel.
Good luck getting an amalur sequel.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom