Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware [WiP]Zodiac Legion, a medieval fantasy take on X-COM

Discussion in 'Codex Workshop' started by Galdred, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    For now, it will have a huge mana cost (the gif shows 4 but it will change).
    I was also thinking about changing the mana system to make the pool common to the whole party (because they all draw from the same pool of zodiac star energy) in order to control the frequency of wall crushing, among other things.
    With most of the missions having a soft timer (aka endless reinforcements), that should be a sufficient incentive not to bypass every door.
    I was also thinking about raising the alarm level (ie the reinforcement rate), but that will depend on how the tests go.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Gaius maximus Arbiter

Gaius maximus
    Fat lazy communist greeks work the most hours per week in the eurozone,check your fake news fucktard.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Taka-Haradin puolipeikko Arcane

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
    While Netherlands works the least, if I remember correctly.
    Its like hours worked is useless statistic without further context.

^ Top  
  4. Gaius maximus Arbiter

Gaius maximus
    the "lazy south" was a fake news campaign used by germany etc in order to justify the economic "help" in their countries,and of which the so called "north european critical thinker" easily accepted and replicated ad naseum as truth.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Nah

• rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    As I didn't have much to show this week, I made a small gif to showcase our paperdolling system:

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    The "paperdolling compilation" on imgur:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/70MD8Sb

Paperdolling in Zodiac Legion
    by FlyingDrakkar11 hr

Paperdolling showcase.
    I wanted to let the player and AI opponent to have a good choice of weapons to outfit their characters in Zodiac Legion(http://zodiac-legion . com/). I also wanted the character sprites to really reflect the armor they were wearing. Hence why I asked Cyangmou(https://twitter . com/cyangmou) to design a robust paperdolling system for Zodiac Legion . It was a very complex process art wise, and technically, but it gives a very high number of combinations. Each animation works with every combination as long as there are no two pieces of the same type (ie 2 helms).
    [​IMG]
    Some variations with the same Taurus helm
    [​IMG]
    First sketch for the body parts that would form the paperdolling system.

[​IMG]

Character silhouette sketch

[​IMG]

the spritesheet in texturepacker (for the legs).

[​IMG]

Taurus Attack Animation As you can see with the next two pictures, the downside of the paperdolling system is that it forces animations to be identical among all characters and weapons.

[​IMG]

Ophiuchus poison sword attack animation

[​IMG]

Libra attack animation

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Ninjerk Arcane

Ninjerk
    Damn, that Libra is strong asf. Probably gets all the chicks. Libra.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    I didn't make Libra stronger on purpose, honest! And the guy in my portrait is totaly not Libra.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. GreyViper Arbiter

GreyViper
    It looks good and animations are decent to from my point of view.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    That fabulous green armour reminds me of Rage of Mages. Playing dress-up is by far my favourite part of any RPG.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    Repost of a reply I made in GRPG about the strategic part of the game:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  13. Reinar Learned

Reinar
    It's usually ice that destroys stone buildings IRL.

If you change your mind: In underground dungeons, let the player do it - there would be several outer walls he'd have to break through with a chance of cave in. In castles, put objective in the middle. Or add other unbreakable blockers like holes.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    I was thinking about earth as earthquake, or maybe an explosion spell. Ice is already pretty good, as it allows creating obstacles quickly (the obstacle can also contain a frozen opponent).

Indeed, destroying the outer wall of the dungeon would not be practical if you need to "tunnel your way" through, but I still need some limits to the map, and outer dungeon walls seemed a reasonable choice, compared to a red line.[/QUOTE]

Holes are a good idea (or bottomless pits), but teleportation/levitation will be possible.
    That said, I prefer the player being free to take the path they want. As long as there is a drawback strong enough for that, it should not be a problem(stronger utility spells could also cost hitpoints. I don't like Hitpoint as a casting resource for offensive spells, but in exchange of bypassing a section of the level, it seems reasonable).

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Reinar Learned

Reinar
    After years of theoretical game development (well I do have a few proof of concept projects) I realised I don't like to divide magic into four elemental school where each element has to be as strong as the other because of balance. Rather I prefer to put elemental magic into one school and add various other schools. That way you can have one element stronger than the rest - it's not easy to come up with good elemental spells for some game types unless you don't care about redundancy. Might & Magic VII comes to my mind. There were several offensive spells but usually only one per element was good, and some elements were stronger than the other.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    That is a good point, elements are a bit too restrictive, and don't match the usual fantasy powers too well.
    But the Zodiac signs each being paired with an element in astrology, we felt we had to keep the association in the game.
    I am still unsure about the best way to do it.
    It could be something like: Class => Available "Schools" of magic, and Sign => Extra elemental spells and attacks
    Zodiac signs might not be totally balanced, but that should not be a big issue as long as they are different enough, and you don't get the same ones in the same order in every playthrough.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 12:59 AM
    ^ Top  
  17. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    The stronghold is in. It doesn't do much, except cost money to add facilities for now.
    Here is the mockup for the stronghold plan:

[​IMG]

The castle plan will be replaced by a proper one (and wall "tiles" should also be somewhat customizable in the future, to host towers, siege engines, or magic device).

Facilities in the outer bailey will be more vulnerable to raids and bombardments.
    Being close to a tower will make them less vulnerable too.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 4:30 AM
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Galdred Studio Draconis Patron Developer

Galdred
    And here is the animated version:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. The Red Knight Educated

The Red Knight
    What about making the explosion have a (high) chance to damage the user, or anyone else standing on either side of the wall hex, with flying debris? The end result would be the same (HP loss) and there would be a bit of situational incentive to use that damage on an enemy next to the wall you want to bring down.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)