Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Empire II PLUS : Oujo no Isan - Legacy of the Princess for PC Translation - Completed!

TigerKnee

Arcane
Shit, the game keeps crashing on any random battle in the 2nd dungeon. Weird

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
damn, wish i had some advice for you on that score. believe it or not wiz emp 2 is probably one of the most stable gaming experiences i've ever had. for what it's worth i'm running win 7 32-bit, amd quad-core processor and 5 year old radeon HD card.

just make 100% sure that you have a profile set up for the game that has absolutely everything disabled: anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, fxaa, smaa, the negative LOD bios clamped to "0", frames to render ahead / flip queue size set to default, vsync OFF, triple buffering for opengl and for d3d set to OFF, and anything else you can think of.

also remember the game only runs in 1 stock resolution which is 640x480, so go into your options and make sure all releant settings for that specific resolution are standardized, including the refresh rate.

and of course you might as well apply windows compatability mode: try settings it to win xp first, and if that doesn't work then win 2000 or win 98; although i never had to do this.

oh, and like mr richard said remember to disable any sli / crossfire application as well.

edit: there IS one way i can make wiz emp 2 crash every single time and that is by ALT + TABBING. other than that the game was rock solid.

OH! i just remembered one other thing to try: remember to try disabling Desktop Composition in System > Advanced > Performance > Custom

Celerity

Takes 1337 hours to realise it's shit.
Village Idiot Possibly Retarded
Wait, so does the game not work in windowed mode?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i don't even know if it has a windowed mode. in the game's options it does not have an option for toggling fullscreen on or off. i just doubled-clicked the .exe and played the game, that's it.

Celerity

What happens if you press Alt+Enter? Because if Alt+Tab = crash, you can't even run the damn game if you're a multitask fuck like me.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
hehe well you CAN alt+tab but each alt+tab rolls vs your real-life LUCK stat and % of crash increases. i mean i always alt+tabbed to go look up the answer to a mondot door riddle. i guess i exaggerated a bit. so yes, you can alt+tab a few times. and remember this is just personal experience of the game on one specific rig, i.e. mine.

as for windowed mode a few posts above in this very thread someone posted a link to a program that allowed them run the game (or any game) in a custom-sized window.

Celerity

Well just pressing Alt+Enter should window programs even if they don't naturally have that feature, works great for Xulima. I'm concerned about crashes though because if I can't go through this while multitasking I probably can't at all.

Celerity

It just says "file is corrupted" as soon as I click on it so I guess the answer is N/A followed by goddamnit aweigh ?

Celerity

It just says "file is corrupted" as soon as I click on it so I guess the answer is N/A followed by goddamnit aweigh ?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
sorry, what says file is corrupted? the windowing progam or wiz emp 2? i'm a bit lost.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I think I narrowed down the crash issues to using a Priest Disenchant ability in battle, which I thought was the Turn Undead ability in other games, but maybe it isn't? No reason why it should crash the game though.

Moving on though - Is there a storage room in this game (I know Elminage has one) or should I make some throwaway characters just to hold my spare shit?

Also game tip but if you spend some time going through the Trade option in the shop trading starter equipment back and forth, you'll eventually end up with some good pieces it seems - there's a particular weapon whose name reads "Emperor's Fist" or something like that and it's pretty good - if you get "Ninja Swords" they also sell for around 1k per pop which can help build up your cash early game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Oh, that's another detail. From what I remember the Priest Disenchant ability was something else: if I remember correctly it was the Breath option from Dragon-newts. Well, all I remember is that it wasn't the traditional "Dispel" ability. I just never used it.

As for storage no this isn't like in Elminage; the Empire series tries to hold as closely as possible to the mechanics in Wiz 1-5 and that includes the resource management fostered by limited inventory space. I never had much trouble with it though; especially once you get MALOR.

And yes, you're absolutely right about the item trading. It turned out to be one of the most addictive features in the Empire series and I'm sad that Starfish didn't keep it for their Elminage series. Dude sometimes I would go in a dungeon and make around 100k, return to town and just trade off EVERYTHING my characters had equipped (since you can just buy your shit back after you're done trading) in the hopes of getting lucky and getting something better for my stuff than what I was trading in.

Eventually the usefulness of trading items will wear out though as the loot you'll find in Myrdal Castle and Garden of the Gods will far, far outstrip the stuff the shop keeper might give you. For the first half of the game though I absolutely loved trading shit non-stop for like 45 minutes straight until I'd get something awesome in return and it just felt sooo good.

I tried figuring out the best patterns for trading upwards but it really is random. Sometimes I'd trade 1 leather glove and get a leather helm, then I'd trade that same leather helm and get a robe, then I'd trade that robe and get... a motherfucking Deluxe Leather. Sometimes I'd trade in a unique hammer worth 200k and get a broken axe in return, then keep trading that broken axe over and over and i'd get the next tier of shurikens i hadn't found yet inside a dungeon. It's a fantastic system that like I said proved really addictive. Shame Starfish dropped it after Empire 3.

Starfish also declined Empire 3 quite a bit in other areas unfortunately. They also did away with the THACO system for armors which is a damn shame since it is precisely that implementation of THACO for both weapons AND armor that makes the itemization in Empire 2 the best I have ever seen in *any* Wizardry game. The dungeons are also inferior to the fantastic navigational puzzles in Empire 2.

Truthfully I think Empire 2 is the best Wizardry game I've ever played, let alone mere "Wiz-clone", and definitely the best game Starfish has made. Its dungeons are motherfucking GENIUS in design. In second place I would definitely give it to Elminage: Gothic.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
The bald torture ghost in Burial Grounds can only be damaged by Hand Axes of my Fighters for some reason. I thought it was maybe some kind of damage threshold thing but even War Spears don't work

There must be something about the damage mechanics I'm not getting.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
mundane items can't damage ghosts; need either spells (and depends on the element as most ghosts absorb water and lightning).

if you go into the castle's inventory records and check the weapons you'll notice a few that have red coloring over the abbreviation for Demons/Ghosts/Dragons, etc, this means they can't damage those enemy types. Blue coloring on those letters means they deal 1.5x damage.

also remember: the lower the THACO on the weapons and armor the more accurate they are, and 1 point does make a difference. An axe with (positive) 5 on THACO is hugely innacurate unless wielded by a fighter-type, whereas a katana with -2 THACO is very accurate. The trick lies in balancing the THACO with the # of attacks, and that's where the beauty of the itemization comes from. Then you have to decide whether you want armor with positive THACO and negative AC (i.e. high defense but penalizes your accuracy), or armor with negative thaco and crappy AC, or something in-between. There is tons of loot so you'll never be without choices.

btw, since the game engine doesn't distribute a sub-weapon's attack to another enemy if the main weapon kills its target you tend to get more mileage out of double-handed weapons unless the character class is a ninja or a samurai (or kunoichi, or berserker) whom benefit from dual-wielding. ninjas are better dual-wielding due to 2x chance to behead and samurai katana's are crazy good and out-DPS anything two-handed for them. Fighters and lords should stick to two-handed weapons though as their options for dual-wielding aren't that great.

starfish finally managed to implement code that makes the sub-weapon attack a 2nd target if the main weapon kills its enemy starting with the elminage series. this completely changes the offensive philosophy and makes elminage series heavily favor dual-wielding melee for end-game as each char can potentially kill 2 enemies with each attack instead of just 1.

early on i recommend you utilize weapons with a good THACO and don't necessarily pay that much mind to the # of attacks, but once your characters are past level 10 that do the opposite as by then your warrior-types will have 2 and 3 swings per attack naturally, and weapons with high # of attacks will yield better results. however THACO is the be-all end-all and even just 1 or 2 points can mean the difference between the character missing completely or hitting 5 times.

Last edited:

TigerKnee

Arcane
So I just tried to create an advanced class and I have to ask - is that chart correct? Even filling in the correct values I wasn't able to turn my Female - Neutral Elf into a Monk / Valkyrie (I assume that's what God Woman is) no matter how I tried

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i actually was never able to make a valkyrie either. ninja/lord/kunoichi/monk/archer/fighter/priest/mage/summoner/bishop/thief all worked flawlessly when class-changing but even getting a bonus roll of 30+ and making absolutely sure it was a female neutral human i was never able to make a valk. i have no idea if it's an actual bug with the game or if we're just retarded. i know that berserker and almighty classes only unlock after acquiring 10/20 titles in the castle records, but yeah, the valk thing is a mystery. wish i had something different to tell ya.

EDIT: you know what, i'm gonna start a new game right now and try to create a valk. BRB.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
there was no restriction on the ps1. but on Wizardry asterisk they had that, for valkerie it was dying 10 times. monk was donating 10k. I don't think I was able on wizardry asterisk either, ended up using a rare breast plate that changed to valkyrie or some medal...

Dorarnae

Arbiter
could be different for this game. I have no idea, but apparently on wizardry asterisk this was the requirement.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
ok i can confirm that you can't create an advanced class straight out of char-gen no matter how big your bonus roll. this was changed in empire 3 tho; the FAQ dorarnae linked me mentions that specifically. as for the valk in emp 2 almost certainly there is some hidden condition because i never managed to create one (though it's not a big deal because all the spears suck ass in emp 2). monk wasn't locked however.

classes you cannot start out as: monk/summoner/samurai/lord/ninja/kunoichi/valkyrie/berserker/almighty

you can p. much switch to samurai/lord/ninja/kunoichi/monk/summoner as soon as levels 4-5 though if you allocate your bonus points correctly. fighter into any one of those classes is easy-peasy.

also remember in wiz emp 2 there are a ton of class-changing items. there is: thieve's dagger (turns thiefs into ninjas), butterfly knife (turns anyone into a ninja), hasya mask (turns a female into a kunoichi), shield of protection (turns a male fighter into a lord), robe of magic (turns caster-types into summoner class which in this game is 100% worth it as they get access to 3 different spell schools), whip of training (another item that turns the wielder into a summoner), excalibur sword (turns wielder into a lord), holy lance (turns wielder into a valkyrie), bishop's cap (turns wearer into a bishop).

btw just so you know there is some really awesome faery equipment and it's actually mostly all geared towards samurai/lord faeries lol; the faery blade is redonk good katana w/ awesome stats and there's some phat ass faery shields and armor for fighter/lord faeries.

EDIT: Oh, btw, weapons and armor ARE RACE-SPECIFIC AS WELL AS CLASS AND GENDER AND ALIGNMENT SPECIFIC. Hobbits and gnomes do NOT make good fighters or lords or valkyries because they cannot equip the better two-handed weapons for those classes or wear the best armor for those classes! I found that out the hard way. Pretty sure classes are race-specific as well as for example the shield of protection will only turn a human male into a lord.

Last edited:

Celerity

Fucking alerts are broken. I tried loading the game client, it said the file was corrupted and immediately closed.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
giphy.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom