Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls coming to PC

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by zwanzig_zwoelf, May 16, 2019.

1. samuraigaiden Educated

samuraigaiden
    Not good enough for GOG

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    Doesn't the "infinite use" map break sometimes? Anyway, I have no idea why people don't understand why lack of mapping is a deal breaker. It's not like Elminage has breathtaking vistas that make backtracking a pleasure, the exploration is about as minimalistic as it gets. There's nothing fun about getting lost in some monotonous maze where everything looks the same.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Swigen Learned

Swigen
    Ya’ll don’t want it on GOG anyway, the ps3 filesize is almost 500mb so it’d probably take 3 fucken hours to download.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Silentstorm Educated

Silentstorm
    Pretty much why i just used the mod for infinite maps or have just looked at maps online, these days, i just appreciate having automaps, and i appreciate games that allow you to take notes on the maps even more, nothing better than finding a locked door or puzzle i can't solve yet, going to the map, and just writing what i think is needed so i don't forget and can just look at the quickest way to go back.

Honestly, at this point, i just think dungeon crawlers should just have an option for automapping or not so that everyone can be happy, Vaporum, for example, does that, right before you start, the games asks if you want automapping or not so that it isn't forced on anyone.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Exploration in Elminage games is one of the highlights, with places full of puzzles, events, dangers, secret doors, special areas, missable secrets, etc.

I have no idea why you think such exploration-rich games are "minimalistic" about it; they're the exact opposite! Exploring a place in an Elminage game is 100 times more rewarding than in any other modern RPG, where "exploration" consists of going from point A to point B.

EDIT: Your comment about "vistas" makes me think that you are confusing exploration with graphics. That would explain why you're confused.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    I'm not confusing them, you're just taking my words out of the context I was discussing (although I shouldn't have used the word exploration since I can see how it muddies the issue). The existence of secrets or puzzles has nothing to do with the tedium of backtracking. It's a slog through the same-looking fucking walls for minutes at a time.

Then there's the maze-like design that ends up making it more linear than original, while contributing to the tedium. Gothic adds absolutely nothing to Original in terms of level design but does make aspects of it worse. It's like it was designed by Todd Howard.

Disliking tedium in no way detracts from my or anyone else's love of blobbers. I like them for the sense of adventure and tactical combat, not because I'm trying to relive my childhood with the exact same outdated interface they had on Commodore or NES.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Interesting take on dungeons. I disagree. I think dungeon design is stronger in Gothic, and that exploring "maze-like dungeons" is a huge part of the appeal. In fact, I find a fair few of the areas in these games to be quite pleasant to look at, or to be otherwise very appropriately atmospheric.

But hey, to each their own! At least you're willing to play and enjoy these games; lots of people reject them for very superficial reasons.

^ Top  
  8. Mastermind Arcane Patron Bethestard

Mastermind
    I find the Elminages atmospheric in spite of the graphics. If I have to trudge through them the low quality world* art comes to the forefront and breaks the illusion.

*the sprites look great

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    ^ Top  
  9. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Such a hardship to go to the shop and buy the map for each floor. Took me all about 2 minutes to accomplish when I played. You buy one and you have an automap for that floor for the whole game.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. MoistCloister Savant

MoistCloister
    If a big tittied blonde and a redhead in bondage were right next to you, you'd be horny too.

• Excited! Excited! x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    Notice how the elf is upset those tramps are stealing the focus from him.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. samuraigaiden Educated

samuraigaiden
    By sprites I suppose you mean the 2D art?

• Yes Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. theSavant Prophet

theSavant
    Has GOG ever revoked the rejection of a game after a shitstorm? Any cases?

^ Top  
  14. samuraigaiden Educated

samuraigaiden
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. theSavant Prophet

theSavant
    That is very interesting. That "Opus Magnum" game also had only 645 votes on their wishlist, so it's not a gigantic number of votes. "Wizardry:LoLS" is with 611 votes (currently) not far behind. Not sure, but maybe there are chances when the turmoil is big enough?

Though it still needs a good portion of "fabulously optimistic" to make that happen... :M

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Ysaye Learned

Ysaye
    I understand that beauty is partly in the eye of the beholder where it comes to aesthetics but I find it hard to find consistency within the aesthetic objective function of GOG when I go to the RPG page and see that they have Swag and Sorcery which is billed as a "Pay to not wait game without the pay to not wait". Ultimately this can only serve to erode their "brand" (which I understood as being to cultivate "Old" games).

^ Top  
  17. Silentstorm Educated

Silentstorm
    So, what has this thread done?

Make me wait for the game to be on Steam to buy it and find out about Opus Magnum, a game that looks interesting in case i get in the mood to solve puzzles, two games that GOG failed to put on the store, though at least Opus Magnum later on managed to enter.

^ Top  
  18. samuraigaiden Educated

samuraigaiden
  19. MoistCloister Savant

MoistCloister
    Hell hath no fury like an anus pounder scorned.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Fronzel Neekburm Erudite Patron

Fronzel Neekburm
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    lol, the pre-order offer for that one came with a nice little surprise for gog customers as well.

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  21. theSavant Prophet

theSavant
    This could have been the GOG curator playing Wizardry:LoLS...

Starting point at minute 4:00 to skip intro (and make sure you don't miss the highlight at minute 8:02).

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Manisan Literate

Manisan
    I like the dungeon crawler genre, but I prefer with auto-map, but I think the devs should make it optional, like Grimrock. I'm not very good in draw maps :\(is that the reason why I don't play until now Dungeon Master). GOG is no more GOG, what's happening to the curator? It was very disappointing.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. zwanzig_zwoelf Graverobber Foundation Developer

zwanzig_zwoelf
    :deathclaw:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    dungeon crawlers are the most oppressed genre.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Shackleton Arbiter Patron

Shackleton
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    I hope that terrible jerky movement is just from the YouTube encoding. Slightly disappointed how long it took him to die when he first wandered in, if that was EG he'd have been dead inside a minute.

Otherwise looks good to me.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)