Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
so you turned morrowind into oblivion XD
lamo that sure looks great

Sometimes I wonder what is it with this forum and its terrible taste in videogame graphics. Is it some kind of PTSD I'm not aware of?

No your screens really do look like shit

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
No your screens really do look like shit

Nah mate, your opinion is shit. I'm guessing they are not 640x480 enough for you.

The problem is precisely that its all very low quality and ugly and you think im arguing for something even less detailed? Have you considered you are the one with a warped sense of aesthetics and not everyone else?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The problem is precisely that its all very low quality and ugly and you think im arguing for something even less detailed? Have you considered you are the one with a warped sense of aesthetics and not everyone else?

Considered "me" means "most people who play Morrowind in 2020" and "everyone else" means "people who don't play Morrowind": no, I don't think so.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Here's everything you need: open morrowind, intelligent textures, no frills open vivec and closed molag mar, solstheim eraser, dark brotherhood never attack, and that's it.

If you are adding anything else, its out of curiosity. And when you mod with openmw, you are doing it the right way. Not messing with the vanilla install directory.

Funposter

Arcane
people seem really upset with Sigourn's screenshots which basically include nothing but the MGE depth of field effect and a grass mod. white suran is kind of a meme i guess.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
That dude is right though, how did you manage to turn it into Oblivion? Something off with lighting and palette. My 2017 screenshots look better and more atmospheric than that.

DraQ

Arcane
people seem really upset with Sigourn's screenshots which basically include nothing but the MGE depth of field effect and a grass mod. white suran is kind of a meme i guess.
Depth of field means that player in question needs to be punched in the eyes to readjust their vision as it's obviously not working properly.
If the problem persists they should see their ophthalmologist.

prengle

Savant
this is the codex, anything other than the original, launch day version 1.0 of a game running on authentic period era hardware is considered the absolute epitome of :decline: and if youre not playing said version youre a gay stupid little poo poo brainlet baby who isnt getting the AUTHENTIC [x] experience as the developers obviously intended. just ask lilura!

i think i actually remember people shitting on sigourns screenshots in this thread a few years ago and while, yes, depth of field is just a fucking nuisance when youre trying to actually play and enjoy any game ever (ive gone back and forth with it when modding morrowind myself), ive always thought morrowind was one of the few pc games from the late 90s and early 2000s that actually benefits from graphics mods of any kind, especially in the last few years now that most texture and model replacers are actually fairly tasteful and well made. ive lost interest in tinkering with the game again for the time being but its not 2006 anymore, we can (and have) done better than lady rae and shannon's gaudy low res texture mods from around then (theres something i really find appealing about old school morrowind mods, though.. but that's a blogpost for another, much less sleepy day)

Funposter

Arcane
That dude is right though, how did you manage to turn it into Oblivion? Something off with lighting and palette. My 2017 screenshots look better and more atmospheric than that.
it's most likely the HDR effect from MGE which changes the colour balance somewhat due to the lighting adjustments.

people seem really upset with Sigourn's screenshots which basically include nothing but the MGE
That's what's wrong.
oh ok so you're autistic

I'm inclined to agree re: new texture mods, although there are some stinkers, but I've covered that in previous posts in this thread. 90% of the model and texture replacers being released today are high quality, because the community is quite insular and obviously niche as the game is nearly twenty years old. Most people seem to have a good grasp of what looks good, and what is in-keeping with the original game's aesthetic while expanding upon it. I'd wager that the people complaining about mods are also the people playing the game the least, since after many hundreds of hours, you want to experience something new that is still within the original framework.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Since people are comparing screenshots.

8Ztca9S.png

YVTbjef.png

ndsC7eH.png

Sigourn

uooh afficionado

Some people want their 2002 game to look 2002 forever. I respect the opinon, but I don't share it.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Why do you people, if I can call you that, want to see across the damn country? You have utterly destroyed the game achieved that which Bethesda would have wanted but couldn't do in 2002.

Fixed that for you.

And yes, ridiculously high draw distances kill much of the game's exploration when you can see that Dwemer Ruin you are supposed to find your way to from miles away. The good thing is that it is all optional.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
You can add fog to that draw distance to even it out. Plus you can adjust it if you don't want to see Vivec from Seyda Neen. Why do people play the game like that? Because we have been playing it for over twenty years. Why do I mod hentai demons to fuck in Doom? Because I am bored.

iu

We don't get this shit anymore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Fixed that for you.

And yes, ridiculously high draw distances kill much of the game's exploration when you can see that Dwemer Ruin you are supposed to find your way to from miles away. The good thing is that it is all optional.
Granted tech limitations but I thought they also wanted it to disguise just how relatively small the world is when you have huge draw distances.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
They used fog and terrain to make the world seem larger than it really was, and it turned out great. That's why I don't go overboard with draw distance.

DraQ

Arcane
Why do you people, if I can call you that, want to see across the damn country? You have utterly destroyed the game achieved that which Bethesda would have wanted but couldn't do in 2002.

Fixed that for you.
Maybe they would have wanted that, but since they couldn't they decided to incorporate this limitation into the world design.
kMzlR4U.jpg

This is what you can and should do when using MGE distant land. :obviously:
(And the screenshot itself is about a decade old)
World feels pretty small when I fly around with 200 Windform scrolls and 200 bottles of Sujamma.
What a brainlet manner of travel compared to spell or amulet of Daedalian Flight you devised yourself.
:obviously:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Windform works well enough in conjunction with teleporting and Silt Striders and boats. Mainly because I offloaded tons of loot to Enchanters so I had to buy a lot of scrolls to get my money's worth. I didn't need to mess with spells as much (waterwalk, invisible, summons) since I was loaded with scrolls. Next go around I plan on going full Mage. I made the mistake of not going Telvanni. I tried not to game the economy too much but it just came naturally and 10,000 a day is too slow to fuck with. I ended the game with 200,000 that I should have spent on enchanting some gear but I didn't need to. I'm a tight wad.

Funposter

Arcane
Windform works well enough in conjunction with teleporting and Silt Striders and boats. Mainly because I offloaded tons of loot to Enchanters so I had to buy a lot of scrolls to get my money's worth. I didn't need to mess with spells as much (waterwalk, invisible, summons) since I was loaded with scrolls. Next go around I plan on going full Mage. I made the mistake of not going Telvanni. I tried not to game the economy too much but it just came naturally and 10,000 a day is too slow to fuck with. I ended the game with 200,000 that I should have spent on enchanting some gear but I didn't need to. I'm a tight wad.

If you don't want to break the economy on another go-around, I recommend MWSE Harder Barter, which I detailed earlier in this thread - https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...r-morrowind-thread.85809/page-76#post-6521623 It works especially well with the merchants added by the expansions and Tamriel Rebuilt. Sure, you can dry up a merchant's stock of 9,000 gold in a single day, but you're going to have to unload a metric shit-tonne of Daedric and Ebony weapons.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Tamriel Rebuilt fucked my entire install up somehow, so I am going with Morrowind Rebirth when I get this next game all lined out. I'm not sure how great it is, but some of the changes sound pretty good.

Yeah Harder Barter sounds pretty good now that I am looking at it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom