Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People don't know 'wtf' an RPG is anymore?

dagorkan

Arbiter
Sir_Brennus said:
c) Both of the mentioned game series featured (limited) dialogs and choices. For example: You could fight the lizardmen in the pyramid in PoR and they got hostile in every encounter, or you didn't fight them and you got allies - choice and consequence.
Yeah, very limited. You didn't get choices of any real kind very often. Look at the walkthrough to Fallout and compare to one for any of that type of traditional RPG.

DefJam101

Arcane
I always figured that a game was an RPG if you DEFINE a role, not just play it.

Like, in Halo, you play a ROLE (Master Whatshisface) but you can't change it, it's not dynamic. You don't decide who he is, he just.. is.

In an RPG you take a character (or make one) and make choices for them that define who they 'are'. This isn't just stats, it's views/beliefs/actions etc. You might start with 'Guy.' and end up with "Guy who crushed the rebels." which is different from "Guy who assassinated the king and brought peace to the lands."

Unfortunately most RPGs today seemed to be based completely around stats/loot, though. So your choices are "Guy with shiny spells and robe." or "Guy with shiny sword." or more recently "Guy with shiny spells, a robe, and a shiny sword."

Nog Robbin

Scholar
While the term role playing game would tend to indicate playing a game under the role of the character the actual "role" part tends to get forgotten and all that is used is the idea of stats and progression. This does go back to part of the original table top role playing games which tended to use character growth as a main characteristic. However, table top roleplaying with real people and a real game controller (GM/DM) would allow for character roles to be played and reacted to accordingly. CRPGs don't have that sort of flexibility (to actually interpret a characters actions other than by quest or dialogue choice) - they can track numbers though and allow a character to get progressively stronger (though if OB is the future of RPGs then this is pointless as it all scales to the character level anyway).

A lot of "role playing" within a CRPG these days is left up to the player to imagine - even simple things like sinking if wearing heavy armour is removed to allow instant accessibility to action, consequently the action of removing your armour to swim is seen by some to be role playing. Likewise consuming food, tidying rooms, leaving items behind after a kill (like a calling card) - all things the game takes no notice of what so ever - are taken to be role playing. The fact that the system *could* take notice of at least some of the actions seems to escape people.

Role playing is also often mixed up with linearity - a "true" role playing game lets the player go where they want when they want picking and choosing what they do. This is also not the case, though a non-linear game may be more enjoyable than one that has a strict route. However, a game offering freedom of action but with only one real path through the game is no better than a linear game, and indeed the strength of any underlying story is likely to be lost in the push to allow a player the sense of freedom.

Finally, a role playing game should be about the characters abilities more than the players abilities. The character skills and statistics should determine the chance of success at various activities, not how well the player can use a joystick (or keyboard and mouse). In a role playing game it is the decisions a person makes for their character that should make the most impact. This is becoming more and more over looked in the rush to give constant activity to the player.

humorguy

Novice
The OP got it right. But this just means old-school RPG's are going to disappear, because we had this same argument 10 years ago about the adventure game genre. When Tomb Raider was the first game to be called an 'Action-Adventure' , adventure gamers went potty, saying the game was a 3D platform shooter not an adventure anything! This argument went on for a while as more and more adventures had 'action' in them, and finally the 'old school' adventure genre disappeared from the mainstream!

I see this process happening right now with the cRPG genre. Confusion just means cRPG's are being changed and old school gamers can see it, and newer gamers can't. This mean an old school RPG'er will never see Jade Empire as a cRPG, but newer 'multiformat' gamer will.

So any old school cRPG's you haven't bought yet, i'd get them now, because prices are going to shoot up on ebay when they are no more! Although if you don't mind not having the packaging, GOG,com will be your saviour!

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Did we go back in time or something?

If so, fuck. I need to stop Fallout 3 from being released.

MisterStone

Arcane
DefJam101 said:

Holy shit, young DefJam was wise beyond his years. Eloquently put!

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
MisterStone said:
DefJam101 said:

Exactly. Very well said. Should be one of the fundamental statements in an RPG definition.

MisterStone

Arcane
MicoSelva said:
MisterStone said:
DefJam101 said:

Exactly. Very well said. Should be one of the fundamental statements in an RPG definition.

But then again what about Ultima Series from IV on where you are always the Avatar, and you can only win the game if you act like him? :)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ashamed to say, but never played Ultima games. Do You have any control over Avatar's class/skills/build (not sure how it works there)?
If so, You do define the role, it's just the identity that is set.

EDIT: also, not all RPGs need to have equal amount of every RPG element. The focus can vary.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
lisac2k said:
MicoSelva said:
MisterStone said:
DefJam101 said:

Orgasm

Barely Literate
Did you know that the laptop guy has no stats?!

chzr

Scholar
but IMP merc is the laptop guy!

inb4 he/she has no laptop in inventory.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
MisterStone said:
DefJam101 said:

The cybernetic implants pushed his nigger brain beyond the capacity of mere mortals. :salute:

Phelot

Arcane
MicoSelva said:
Ashamed to say, but never played Ultima games. Do You have any control over Avatar's class/skills/build (not sure how it works there)?
If so, You do define the role, it's just the identity that is set.

EDIT: also, not all RPGs need to have equal amount of every RPG element. The focus can vary.

Yeah you can change skills and such which, as you say would still make them fit into the above definition. It's just that so does games like ME and the like as well.

I'll say it again: An RPG is whatever you want it to be.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
... both?

Oh right, you massage your dick with the Xbox controller while Black Ops plays itself :smug:

Phelot

Arcane
commie said:
If you can see your hands, it's an RPG. If one or both of your hands are below the table, it's OMG NEXT GEN AWESOMENESS!

:lol: Is this a sexual innuendo?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Sceptic said:
... both?

Oh right, you massage your dick with the Xbox controller while Black Ops plays itself :smug:

:lol:

phelot said:
commie said:
If you can see your hands, it's an RPG. If one or both of your hands are below the table, it's OMG NEXT GEN AWESOMENESS!

:lol: Is this a sexual innuendo?

Err, yeah...crude I know. :oops:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom