Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DX:HR leak impressions

Stasgard

Liturgist
Well there you go then.

Monocause

Arcane
Now that's a shame. I made a quick romp through detroit, killing all the civvies in the Chiron building and invading the police station with some ten officers shot dead in the head. I even let the police see me to turn on the alarm and ran away - on the street level it was calm and no one pursued me.

I hope this gets fixed/changed in the final build.

Phelot

Arcane
Monocause said:
Now that's a shame. I made a quick romp through detroit, killing all the civvies in the Chiron building and invading the police station with some ten officers shot dead in the head. I even let the police see me to turn on the alarm and ran away - on the street level it was calm and no one pursued me.

I hope this gets fixed/changed in the final build.

I believe that was how it was in the first game. I had many a killing spree in that game.

But it should be fixed in this day and age, but then again, in this day and age you normally can't kill civilians so kudos for that.

SCO said:
And yeah this smells like a demo probably with a rootkit so they can track you.

Why make a demo only for journalists? No there is something sneaky going on.

There's certainly a risk, and it's not one I would take.

Perhaps this is also a way of getting people to alpha/beta test for them.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
½ an hour until the unofficial demo is downloaded. Will give it a looksee and see if it's worthwhile. I've been on the fence for this for ages, so it'll be good to see it in action.

The general opinion of codexians who played it seems to be far more optimistic than those who haven't, so I suppose that's a good sign. Then again, there are a lot of people on the codex who like Witcher 2, so I suppose their opinions are highly suspect.

Raapys

Arcane
I had average hopes for Witcher 2 and was somewhat disappointed. I had pretty much no hopes at all for Deus Ex3, so I had a hard time believing what I'd seen after a few hours of play. It's really not a console game at all. In many ways it's simply an improved Deus Ex. The options available, the multiple paths, the level-up system, inventory, dialog, etc., it's all really well done, and a refreshing change from today's railroaded console "RPGs" and action games. Sure, you can complain about shit like takedowns, cover-system and object highlighting, but all of that is optional, and the derpification ends there. There aren't even any QTEs.

So yeah, looks like it'll easily be game of the year to me, assuming the remaining parts of the game hold as high quality as the first one.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Ulminati said:
½ an hour until the unofficial demo is downloaded. Will give it a looksee and see if it's worthwhile. I've been on the fence for this for ages, so it'll be good to see it in action.

The general opinion of codexians who played it seems to be far more optimistic than those who haven't, so I suppose that's a good sign. Then again, there are a lot of people on the codex who like Witcher 2, so I suppose their opinions are highly suspect.

Half year ago I said it's one of games I have high expectations of. I have nose for quality games and it might be one of them. However it's too early to skin the deer, the game wasn't released yet.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Raghar said:
Ulminati said:

Half year ago I said it's one of games I have high expectations of. I have nose for quality games and it might be one of them. However it's too early to skin the deer, the game wasn't released yet.

Yeah, I'm mucking about it right now. The mouse smoothing is annoying as fuck and there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off. The piss filter is a bit annoying as well, but at least I could remove object highlighting. I'm through the first mission in the factory. It wasn't nearly as open as the liberty statue in DX1, but I still got a solid Deus Ex vibe off of it. Went at it with a stun gun and my awesome button, and the only person to die did so in a cutscene. I must've missed the hostages somewhere along the way though (and I thought I was pretty throughout in scouring the place), because the SWAT team were mocking me when I left.

Speaking of cutscenes, those are jarring as fuck. They really should have done them ingame. The extra long disneyworld tour at the beginning felt like it'd never end, but I suppose it's no worse than the tram ride in half life 1 was. On a positive note - even though the game runs on minimum settings - it looks decent enough and runs very smoothly even on my aging rig.

So far I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen. I'm gonna go restart it on "Deus Ex" difficulty over the "Challenging" I've used so far. If the rest of the leak opens up into slightly less linear sweep-the-building style missions, I'll probably go and give steam my moneychips for a preorder.

[edit] Turning off post processing removed the piss filter. :incline:

SoupNazi

It opens into a mission that is very reminiscent of the Liberty Island mission in the original; you're given an open world (even bigger than Liberty Island in fact, with friendly areas and civilians) and an objective that is in an unfriendly zone with like, 100 ways of approaching and entering the building you need to infiltrate. After that, it's a bit less open building (similar to the statue itself, or basically any base in the original game).

If every mission in a hub is like that then really, I have nothing to complain and looking forward to receiving my pre-order.

.Sigurd

Educated
Codex praising a shooter with health regen and cover system!? My eyes decive me or the game is really amazing.

I will wait for more reviews but so far looks like I'm going to buy it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Probably pre-ordering it... Let's hope it won't disappoint too much. I can look over cover systems, health regen and take-downs if the music and mood is good.

Not trying the leak, though. It'd be unfair to judge based on it, IMO. They might just have put all the good stuff into it, to amaze journalists- or it might not be a very bug-free, optimized version, which would also do it injustice.

SoupNazi

The health regen doesn't even matter, except for the boss fight (it would be impossible without it). You can't even run away from gunfire, it kills you faster than in the original, and the aim of the enemies is quite deadly.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm with Jasede here. This thread fills me with hope, but I won't be playing the leaked preview demo lest I spoil my experience with this game.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Faster than the original? I don't believe it! Of course, I only played on Realism, ever, so of course I am biased.

By the way, my problem with health-regeneration is NOT that it makes combat too easy (though it does in many games that have it). It's more that you, in theory, can just sit in a corner to heal up after a big fight. This sort of takes away the "you have to manage your resources" aspect of a game by not having you be careful with med-kits. This is why I like memorizing spells in D&D: you have to plan out their use, and if you use them unwisely, you won't have them when you need them. Having to plan out your health-kits and being sparing with them adds another layer of depth to a game.

You could get around that, though, if you make the missions time-sensitive at some points, or otherwise reward you for not just sitting somewhere to let your health trickle back up.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
A lot of AAA developers work hard on their games, but their games suck. It's nice to see what a very focused and talented team can come up with. Although it's not a fair comparison, since they have the best game of all time as a reference for their design.

The attention to details is appreciated. For example, some people not talking to you while your gun is drawn.

I didn't like The Witcher, and I sort of like The Witcher II. But I got bored of it. This game, I can't stop playing, as I want to know what happens next, and what other places I can explore. Too bad Thief 4 is being made by a different team. Why would Eidos do that? Hopefully they are just as talented.

Raapys

Arcane
From what I understand, at least part of the DE3 team have moved over to the T4 team now.

SoupNazi

Jasede said:
Faster than the original? I don't believe it! Of course, I only played on Realism, ever, so of course I am biased.

By the way, my problem with health-regeneration is NOT that it makes combat too easy (though it does in many games that have it). It's more that you, in theory, can just sit in a corner to heal up after a big fight. This sort of takes away the "you have to manage your resources" aspect of a game by not having you be careful with med-kits. This is why I like memorizing spells in D&D: you have to plan out their use, and if you use them unwisely, you won't have them when you need them. Having to plan out your health-kits and being sparing with them adds another layer of depth to a game.

You could get around that, though, if you make the missions time-sensitive at some points, or otherwise reward you for not just sitting somewhere to let your health trickle back up.

I also only ever played on Realistic :obviously: but in HR, on the Deus Ex difficulty, everything except for long-range machine pistol fire, from what I've seen, kills you in one shot. Pistol in close range is also a one shot kill, shotgun of course every time even from mid-range. Sniper is one-shot.

This ties into the health regen thing when really, you don't get to sit down and heal after a fight because you'll rarely ever last long enough to survive the fight if you get damaged so much. Honestly I don't recall an instance where, except for the first mission where you're not augmented yet, I survived a firefight where I was exposed enough to need health regen.

baronjohn

Cipher
The problem with health regen is that it resets your health between encounters. I might play recklessly, lose health and medkits and then have to play very carefully, etc. The health regen denies this variety.

Twinkle

Liturgist
you don't get to sit down and heal after a fight because you'll rarely ever last long enough to survive the fight if you get damaged so much

What? Hide behind a corner and whack them one by one. You don't even have to risk your health to aim, because it can be done in perfect safety of indestructible cover. Pop and click. It doesn't help that the concept of flanking seems alien to artifical idiots and they throw grenades once in a blue moon.

Stynes

Barely Literate
deus ex needs to be simplified. stupid trolls only say that games needs to be hard., trolls only play old games. cmon people it's 2011. stop being trolls. its like the deus ex 3 trailer, you can't stop the future.

baronjohn

Cipher
Twinkle said:
you don't get to sit down and heal after a fight because you'll rarely ever last long enough to survive the fight if you get damaged so much

What? Hide behind a corner and whack them one by one. You don't even have to risk your health to aim, because it can be done in perfect safety of indestructible cover. Pop and click. It doesn't help that the concept of flanking seems alien to artifical idiots and they throw grenades once in a blue moon.
Not really. If they know where you are they'll overwhelm you pretty quickly. Also, weapons are inaccurate unless you use sights for which you must get out of cover to aim so it's not like you can just line up headshots and then pop out of cover to whack them.

It's also nice that the game gives you extra XP for using non-lethal methods (10 for disabling an enemy, +20 if non-lethal, +10 if headshot)

You also get bonus XP for ghosting an entire objective, and it seems to be quite a bit more than what you'd get if you just killed everyone.

SoupNazi

Twinkle said:

Glad to know you can't actually tell the difference between Deus Ex and Gears of War. Ah, the intellect of Codex members.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
baronjohn said:
You also get bonus XP for ghosting an entire objective, and it seems to be quite a bit more than what you'd get if you just killed everyone.
Except killing them doesn't deny ghosting experience. As far as I can tell the criterion for ghost is simply to not get any enemies to hostile status.

The bonus exp is bullcrap too. you get 50 for tapping the (T)wesome button, which is more than any other method, despite being the easiest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom