Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An Arcanum mod that cuts out the uninspired combat parts?

Zomg

Arbiter
Kind of a good idea but your reward for XP grubbing is basically that you can sleepwalk through the trash combat. Without the reward of making the enormous mounds of trash combat painless you may be struck by RPG anomie, this is probably a metaphor for something

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I PICKED A GIMPED BUILD AND HAD ONLY MODERATE TROUBLE

SOME PARTS WERE ANNOYING BUT I DOUBT MANY PEOPLE WOULD HAVE THE BRIANS TO MAKE IT BETTER WITHOUT FUCKING UP TONS OF OTHER SHIT

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Does anyone know if there are any Arcanum mods where a wizard turns into a car? I'm looking for an Arcanum mod where a wizard turns into a car. If anyone knows of any Arcanum mods where a wizard turns into a car, please let me know, because I'm looking for an Arcanum mod where a wizard turns into a car.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Sorry.

I remember seeing something like this on Terra Arcanum like 5 years ago but I can't remember what it was called. You should probably just register and ask there. I think what it did was move all of the necessary items or scripts or whatever to a chest outside of the BMC, which isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I guess it partially is? You could get the items, run through the first half out of guilt and then leave?

baronjohn

Cipher
You guys will enjoy DA3. I hear it will have the option to skip all combat by pressing X so you can just engage in epic dialogue and extreme romance, elements that are the essence of RPGs.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
cboyardee said:
Does anyone know if there are any Arcanum mods where a wizard turns into a car? I'm looking for an Arcanum mod where a wizard turns into a car. If anyone knows of any Arcanum mods where a wizard turns into a car, please let me know, because I'm looking for an Arcanum mod where a wizard turns into a car.
:lol:

Damn you, I can't stop laughing now. I'm a bit high though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
baronjohn said:
You guys will enjoy DA3. I hear it will have the option to skip all combat by pressing X so you can just engage in epic dialogue and extreme romance, elements that are the essence of RPGs.
Reducing the amount of trash in Arcanum and Dragon Age would only be a positive. Is anything of importance lost by removing most of those wolves/golems/kite things? Nope.

UserNamer

Cipher
I think arcanum is a game that would benefit immensely from being smaller and shorter.

okashii

Novice
If you don't want to fight or go through a certain area much faster simply change your tactic.
Don't want to bother with BMM? Use fast turn based combat and potion of haste to run past the enemies.
Don't want to fight through the Dredge? Increase your persuasion skill and convince the "king -in-waiting" to show you a shortcut under his throne.
You can finish Arcanum without having ANY kills in your log* and you will still be ~lvl25 at the end, so don't cry that you are missing out on exp. points.

* [Technically it's 2 kills by dynamite, but the guards were not the target.]

Shadenuat

Arcane
Aren't there enough Invisibility scrolls which spawn randomly on magic vendors to beat most of those dungeons? I just remember doing a pacifist run in Arcanum and solving the issue of long dungeons with those and some other spells from schools of Nature and Mental.

mariog

Educated
cboyardee said:

Thank you, you've just made my day :lol:

Stinger

Arcane
Cloaked Figure said:
Already finished BMC mines. My initial thoughts were correct, this takes very little time and is easy to map/script.

What I did is shave off the dead-end hallways which are filled with random mobs. I emptied out a lot of the kites/wolves that ridiculously crowd the dungeon. I re-scripted the passageways to move from point A -> B -> C (final area) in a linear fashion rather than having to guess which passageway goes where and fumbling around misleading corridors, or even worse clearing out an area and realizing you didn't have to.

I would say I cut out a good 50% of the dungeon. Maybe I went overboard, I'm going to do some more testing tomorrow, but the tests I have already done (lvl 25 melee ogre, lvl 25 human mage) went smoothly: not as insufferable a dungeon as before, but not a cake-walk either. Intermediate difficulty, as is befitting the level that you generally are when heading to BMC mines.

Edit: The amount of XP gone is about 15k for what I have done in BMC. It isn't a RIDICULOUS amount, but not negligible either. I'm either going to redistribute it to the quest XP reward at the end of the dungeon (if I decide to release this as a BMC mines only kind of thing) or lower the overall XP values required to level up in proportion to the XP lost from the mobs that are cut out (if I decide to make this a re-work of all the way-too-combat-heavy areas).

The main issue I had with Black Mountain when I first played it is that it had a very level compared to everywhere else, and Golems were pretty hard to kill if you weren't a mage and they were also pretty much unavoidable. From your description it sounds like you've made dungeon a bit more linear which isn't necessarily a bad thing but have you made the Golems avoidable at least?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Newbs, Black Mountain was easy. Fast sword, throwing weapons, stealth, magic, companions with melee weapons, etc, etc. People always bring this place up, just like the Bloodlines Sewers.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I DO AGREE ARCANUM COULD HACE BEEN SHORTER'

I DID ENJOY SOME COMBAT CHALLENGE THOUGH I DONT KNOW BROS

Shadenuat

Arcane
I enjoyed BMC mines a lot when I played game for the first time. I was running out of potions, my companions were angry, Magnus cried that he does't have enough sniffing powder and thus was going to leave the party, I WTFed every time I gone down another level, but I kept pressing forward. I remember walking out using teleportation scroll, like double the level I was before entering mines, and completely naked and every weapon and armor in my and my companions inventory was broken. Even Worthless Mutt hated me for some reason.
T'was pretty cool.

zeitgeist

Magister
Why do so many people seem to think that a boring/monotonous/dull game should (as the main solution to such problems) be made shorter, instead of more fun/varied/engaging?

oscar

Arcane
What I want to see is guns heavily buffed and a lot more tech fights.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
zeitgeist said:
Why do so many people seem to think that a boring/monotonous/dull game should (as the main solution to such problems) be made shorter, instead of more fun/varied/engaging?
Arcanum is mostly fun, varied and engaging, but some of the dungeon-crawling parts seem to just go on forever and kind of fuck up the balance of the game. Although I do agree that a better solution would be to just improve the combat so that it doesn't become a chore.

I played a gunslinger but beat the golems quite easily with a relatively low-level character without taking a single hit: real-time combat + a throwing weapon + sprint button. You can just click on a golem as fast as you can while running away from it and it'll constantly take damage without ever even touching you. I guess that also shows how broken the combat in Arcanum is.

zeitgeist said:

Because making fun/varied/engaging content is hard as balls, while cutting off unnecessary bullshit should be relatively easy.

That said, a thread where people share their exploits to make boring shit more tolerable could be useful. See Shade's "fuck you, you can't see me" approach above.

baronjohn

Cipher
398660081_e2d3b7f511.jpg

I hope this thread is full of sarcasm that I'm not getting. Arcanum's dungeons were neither especially long or frustrating.

I rather liked them, they were like a stress-test of your character build.

The thing is, if you fail a stress-test all you're left with is stress

which is probably the thing you were trying to avoid when playing a crpg with violin/cello bgm

oscar said:
What I want to see is guns heavily buffed and a lot more tech fights.

Take a look at this, maybe it'll help some.

Krupp's All in One Hack rebalances the technological side of the game: http://www.mediafire.com/?1hqyt1a9vxw076s

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
BMC needs is the first serious build test. If you can't pass BMC with your build, ur doing it wrong. Simple as that. And don't touch Arcanum. Bestest RPG ever. Unironically said.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom