Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Now Live!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Of course at a bare mininum 10-20,000 others will buy the game when released and even taking 20 dollars a head(bare minimum based of getting digital versions) that's 200,000 to 400,000 extra for the devs for dividing up or for funding Wasteland 3.
BRO, why so pessimistic? Surely a game like this will sell at least 100,000-200,000 copies...maybe more.

Oh I think it will sell a lot more. I was just putting down how tiny the numbers actually have to be to not only make it a reality, but to even make a decent amount given the initial outlay. Sure it's not in the league that EA play but that's due as much to the sheer amount they need to turn over to make up for their vast expenditure. The ratio of profit to investment EA games(and those of other AAA publishers/developers) have isn't actually all that hot for the most part. The ratio for Wasteland 2 will be far better.

Oh and just as I write this, they've reached $600,000 at the start of the second day. :salute:

Angthoron

Arcane

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Oh I think it will sell a lot more. I was just putting down how tiny the numbers actually have to be to not only make it a reality, but to even make a decent amount given the initial outlay. Sure it's not in the league that EA play but that's due as much to the sheer amount they need to turn over to make up for their vast expenditure. The ratio of profit to investment EA games(and those of other AAA publishers/developers) have isn't actually all that hot for the most part. The ratio for Wasteland 2 will be far better.
Which makes you think how much money Tim Schafer will make...if Full Throttle in 95 sold over 1M copies, his adventure game could sell at least as much as that, especially with that 3M budget. The ammount of money that he will make, with no publisher to take it's cut and the game development 100% paid for, will be insane.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's mighty cool! I may be tempted to contribute another $50, at least, once we get closer to the goal.

Meanwhile, Brian Fargo on Twitter:

In other great news we have brought another original #wasteland designer aboard. Liz Danforth. The Hidepool map was one of hers.​

Good. More info on Liz Danforth here.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hope she does some old school 2d art for the game(portraits, maps, items, ect).

edit, somebody just scooped up another 5k pledge.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Kotaku finally released an article about the project: http://kotaku.com/5892901/how-wasteland-2-went-from-hopeless-to-half-a-million-in-24-hours

You can feel the complete lack of interest the author had while writing it...

It's worse in the comments...that Dr Seuss cunt..what a fucktard...

Ah doesn't matter, regardless of their sneering, according to comments on Kickstarter, the 'article' has drawn attention to the drive and people who didn't know about it before have come and donated.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And as I see it the author is not even a Kotaku regular. They had to find someone, becuase it seems the main authors don't even now what Wasteland is or they just don't give a shit. Sad.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
oh wow, check this docseuss moron out in the comments

I think, in a way, manuals killed the cRPG. It's amazing trying to play Planescape: Torment and realizing I actually have to read a book to figure out what to do, and not in a good way. Manuals are fundamentally unecessary, and possibly even detrimental to video games if developers rely on getting gamers to read instead of play (who doesn't want to start playing as soon as possible?).
Still, nostalgia is a powerful thing, and manuals CAN do interesting things (why not just make a game guide? I hate alt-tabbing out or using two computers to find, say, the code to a locker in Doom 3, or discovering I forgot to flip a switch, which is why I can't progress). I'd love to ship a game with one of those--maybe a design document, some insights into the design, art stuff... hm...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think, in a way, manuals killed the cRPG. It's amazing trying to play Planescape: Torment and realizing I actually have to read a book to figure out what to do, and not in a good way. Manuals are fundamentally unecessary, and possibly even detrimental to video games if developers rely on getting gamers to read instead of play (who doesn't want to start playing as soon as possible?).
Still, nostalgia is a powerful thing, and manuals CAN do interesting things (why not just make a game guide? I hate alt-tabbing out or using two computers to find, say, the code to a locker in Doom 3, or discovering I forgot to flip a switch, which is why I can't progress). I'd love to ship a game with one of those--maybe a design document, some insights into the design, art stuff... hm...
Playing game, reach locked door.
PROTIP pops on screen: "The code is AAAA".
Type AAAA.
"yes, I did it! I'm such a hardcore gamer! "
:balance:

Kotaku finally released an article about the project: http://kotaku.com/5892901/how-wasteland-2-went-from-hopeless-to-half-a-million-in-24-hours

You can feel the complete lack of interest the author had while writing it...

And a bunch of morons in the comments. Well, fuck them. I finally have something to look forward to, I almost abandoned gaming as a hobby. Hopefully it will get funded.

Also, somewhere here buried in the comments are a few faggots saying there isn't power armor in Wasteland and sci-fi elements (for those who are fond of Fallout and
post apocalyptic - futuristic setting)... And that is incorrect. There is power armor, laser weapons and various hi tech shit. Also monsters...

Proof: http://user.tninet.se/~jyg699a/wasteland.html#items

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

This is yet another instance when only the qvadruple facepalm is appropriate:
185804_178202118893219_104266592953439_382866_5413723_n.jpg

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
There's worse from the illustrious Archaotic:

That's kinda how I feel too. I was never much of a fan of top-down isometric RPGs of any kind, so this kinda falls flat for me. If someone was going to try and make a narrative and character-heavy RPG in the style of the SNES or PS1 eras, I'd fund it in a second, but "It's just like all those OTHER bleak, depressing open-ended RPGs you see a million of this generation, just with much, much worse graphics" isn't exactly a selling point for me.

:M

hiver

ah what ? some guy, what of it? what youre getting hang up upon?
Its not his thing, he doesnt get it, so what? And he says he is in trouble being without a job and in hospital for long time, and he almost gave some money, at least he was thinking about it, leave him be.

Live and let live.
we can afford it now :smug:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Maybe if all hate him together at the same time our hate energy will cause him to contract cancer. It's worth a shot.

Okay guys, let's go...

1, 2, 3...

HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE
HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE
HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE
HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE
HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE
HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE
HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE
Hurr, durr, very mature! You used to be a non-shit poster. What happened?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom