Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

joeydohn

Savant
If people think the lack of High-Res textures are detriment to a game like DS, they're missing the whole point of the game.

From Software are completely missing the point of PC gaming, if we really wanted to play their game in low quality we would have done so.

ah yes. of course... PC gaming is all about DX11, tesselation, high res textures, bloom, hdr etc... fuck, and i thought skyway was dumb.

PC gaming isn't about console limitations (I don't just mean graphics) or lazy ports that's for sure.

Sul

Savant
If people think the lack of High-Res textures are detriment to a game like DS, they're missing the whole point of the game.

From Software are completely missing the point of PC gaming, if we really wanted to play their game in low quality we would have done so.

ah yes. of course... PC gaming is all about DX11, tesselation, high res textures, bloom, hdr etc... fuck, and i thought skyway was dumb.
Certainly is not about shitty online system like Games For Windows Live, retarded key mapping at the point of the developers themselves asking to you play with a controller and the game being capped at 30fps.
The whole port is extremely retarded and that's a fact. And we know how a shitty port can completely ruin a good game.

praetor

Arcane

Certainly is not about shitty online system like Games For Windows Live, retarded key mapping at the point of the developers themselves asking to you play with a controller and the game being capped at 30fps.
The whole port is extremely retarded and that's a fact. And we know how a shitty port can completely ruin a good game.

am i missing something? did id already leak? because you're talking like you've already played it...

btw, would you be so moronic if, say, a dev recommended you play his flight (or space) sim with a joystick or even a full hotas set? would you shit on, say, falcon 4.0 (and the later iterations) because they play much better with hotas than kb+mouse?

Antagonist

Liturgist
It bugs me that I'd have to buy the PC version to get the additional content. :(
I might do it anyway just to support the bros.

A couple of weeks ago there was an interview on Eurogamer in which one of the guys from From Software was asked whether the new content would be released for consoles as well. He evaded an answer by pulling off a magic 8 ball ("maybe"). I honestly can't imagine that From or Namco Bandai would not want to earn some extra cash by selling juicy DLC to millions of content-starved players. At worst they'll forgo a DLC and try to sell us a brand new GOTY edition or something similar. At best they'll be true bros and release it for free to show their gratitude for the all the players who made the Dark games the unexpected success that it is. In short: I'd wait for a couple of months before contemplating buying DkS for PC.

Oh, and congrats! How many hours did you need to finish the game? My ingame clock recorded a massive 90+ hours just for my first character. 0o

praetor

Arcane
It bugs me that I'd have to buy the PC version to get the additional content. :(
I might do it anyway just to support the bros.

A couple of weeks ago there was an interview on Eurogamer in which one of the guys from From Software was asked whether the new content would be released for consoles as well. He evaded an answer by pulling off a magic 8 ball ("maybe"). I honestly can't imagine that From or Namco Bandai would not want to earn some extra cash by selling juicy DLC to millions of content-starved players. At worst they'll forgo a DLC and try to sell us a brand new GOTY edition or something similar. At best they'll be true bros and release it for free to show their gratitude for the all the players who made the Dark games the unexpected success that it is. In short: I'd wait for a couple of months before contemplating buying DkS for PC.

yeah, not releasing that content on consoles would be a massive financial shot in the foot for bamco and one of the most nonsensical decisions in the gaming industry.

Oh, and congrats! How many hours did you need to finish the game? My ingame clock recorded a massive 90+ hours just for my first character. 0o

my first char (now deleted) also had something like 90+ hours (although there was at least 20-25h of farming 'cause i wanted that char to be SL125 an pvp ready by the time i reached the kiln). anyway, i think by now i probably have something like 1000h logged in on DkS (one char that i'm still taking through PvE ng(n*)+ when i'm bored, the others all for PvP co-op) :)

Sul

Savant

am i missing something? did id already leak? because you're talking like you've already played it...
Leaked scans brah. The developer (or PR guy, however was being interviewed) said that they will offer minimal support for keyboard and mouse and is better to play using a controller.

praetor

Arcane

Leaked scans brah. The developer (or PR guy, however was being interviewed) said that they will offer minimal support for keyboard and mouse and is better to play using a controller.

it was also said that GFWL isn't 100% in. and how do you know it will have "retarded key mapping"? and where the fuck did you read this "capped at 30fps" bullshit?

John

Novice
;)

What are the chances of the PC port being any good?

Slim. It comes with Games For Windows Live, minimal keyboard and mouse support, low resolution textures and the framerate is capped at 30 fps.

1. not confirmed 100%. 2. we still don't know what exactly that means (except that the lead dev recommends playing on a gamepad since the whole game was designed with that in mind). 3. low res textures yes, framerate capped no (where the hell did you read that?)

1. Maybe not, but I doubt it will change at this point. Development on the port had probably already began when it was announced in April, and the internet rage died down a few weeks later.

2. I suppose it means just that. It is possible to play the game using the mouse and keyboard, but a gamepad works better.

4. Here. While Miyazaki doesn't explicitly say it will be capped at 30 fps, he says not to expect 60 fps.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Playing this game without a gamepad is a lot like playing Starcraft without a mouse. It's possible but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Dunno. I remember Sudeki. It has so nicely done keyboard mouse it was much better, and more intuitive, with keyboard and mouse than with gamepad.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
All right.
Honestly, it's a little ridiculous if they really don't let you map your keys freely. Some doujin (weeaboo indie) games have that! :)

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Actually it's trivial. PC version might look like this:
Left hand movement.
Q + movement select items. (thought it might be done more in PC friendly way)
mouse 1. R1
mouse 2. R2
mouse 3. (or F) target lock (R3)
SHIFT. circle
space L1
mouse 4 (or an unused key near Z) L2

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Mmm, that would take some getting used to. We'll see what they come up with. I'm gonna try to get Demon's Souls from somewhere; I gotta get me more of this.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

btw, would you be so moronic if, say, a dev recommended you play his flight (or space) sim with a joystick or even a full hotas set? would you shit on, say, falcon 4.0 (and the later iterations) because they play much better with hotas than kb+mouse?

Bad example is bad. Flight simulators are meant to be played with a joystick/hotas, whereas every first or third person perspective game is naturally much better played with a kb+mouse combo (even when devs dumb the controls down specifically for gamepads, Dead Space 1 comes to mind)

I own a 360 gamepad but the experience in FPS/TPS games is puke inducing. I use it only for MAME and NES/SNES emulators.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron

Bad example is bad. Flight simulators are meant to be played with a joystick/hotas, whereas every first or third person perspective game is naturally much better played with a kb+mouse combo (even when devs dumb the controls down specifically for gamepads, Dead Space 1 comes to mind)

I own a 360 gamepad but the experience in FPS/TPS games is puke inducing. I use it only for MAME and NES/SNES emulators.
This game's gamepad controls are easily 10/10, just like most other good console games that are similar. God Hand and DMC 3 come to mind. I am not saying they might not feel better to you with KB/Mouse, but these games feel just perfect as is.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'll surely give it a try with the pad but I'm a wasdfag. The only console game I can think of that plays somewhat better with a pad (that I have experience with) is the Silent Hill series, but I think it's because those games are slow by design and have a ton of fixed camera sections.

For example console fags often say they just can't imagine playing Assassin's Creed with kb+mouse but for me it's the only way.

John

Novice
4. Here. While Miyazaki doesn't explicitly say it will be capped at 30 fps, he says not to expect 60 fps.

so "the framerate won't be 60fps" = "locked at 30fps"?! truly "barely literate"

While it could be anything between 30 and 60, it is very unlikely. The game was designed for consoles with capped framerates, and the physics and animations probably don't scale with higher framerates(and making them scale would require a substantial rework on the aforementioned).

praetor

Arcane
I'll surely give it a try with the pad but I'm a wasdfag. The only console game I can think of that plays somewhat better with a pad (that I have experience with) is the Silent Hill series, but I think it's because those games are slow by design and have a ton of fixed camera sections.

For example console fags often say they just can't imagine playing Assassin's Creed with kb+mouse but for me it's the only way.

i'm a wasdfag myself and almost threw up when once i tried playing a fps with a gamepad. and i wondered a dozen times in my first DkS playthrough "this would work 100times better on pc with wasd+mouse". kb+m is also much more comfortable for me. but then i did lots of pvping and some low lvl runs and really came to understand the mechanics much better and i caught myself thinking "this won't work as well on kb+m".

to make it clear: i'm not saying it will be unplayable on kb+m and, unless they totally fuck it up (f.e. no rebinding), offline PvE with kb+m should be more than fine since it really doesn't require that much movement precision that wasd will be much worse than the analogue stick (and the mouse will only be better than the analogue stick while manually aiming bows... which doesn't happen all that much). but "serious" pvp? eh.. good luck trying to roll backstab decent players with a kb+m (but hopefully they rebalance the thing a bit so that the BSing mechanic doesn't become so important and dominant in PvP)

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Actually it's trivial. PC version might look like this:
Left hand movement.
Q + movement select items. (thought it might be done more in PC friendly way)
mouse 1. R1
mouse 2. R2
mouse 3. (or F) target lock (R3)
SHIFT. circle
space L1
mouse 4 (or an unused key near Z) L2

Congratulations! You have created a keybinding in which you cannot run. Unless you're lumping that in with 'movement' on the e key or something, in which case, good luck hitting 3-4 keys at once with one hand every time you want to run and jump or use your shield (assuming it doesn't simply ghost every time you want to run on a diagonal). I'm also pretty sure having the dodge key mapped to shift (my pinky finger) would destroy my hand in about 5 minutes.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I used that combination in Risen 2. BTW what prevents you to use your first three fingers for that? BTW these four keys are unlikely to be subject of ghosting.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The control scheme in DS has a flaw cool characteristic anyway. You can't control the camera and hit the right-hand buttons with your thumb at the same time, which forces you to use your index for the latter, but then you're locked out of the R1/R2 unless you use your middle and/or ring finger, which wouldn't be so hard if you could only settle the controller down on a hard surface so it would stop wavering whenever you push something but you can't because that goddamn analog R2 always activates at the wrong time when you do.

I started to get hideous hand-to-claw pains in PvP because of this.

Uh, it's not like you need to have control over the camera all the time. Just use your thumb to adjust it when needed. You're getting pains because you're trying to use the controller like a keyboard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom