Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News First work in progress screenshot of Wasteland 2 revealed

kaizoku

Arcane
Reposted - desaturated version I found on Facebook page

snip

Now that is what I'm talking about.

Looks p.c.. I like it!

And you know what else would be cool? For characters to be able to take cover behind those debris.
Will that be possible?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I was just kidding around because of drocon.

But if there's no HUD and no hexes then I might have to go full retard.

Well yeah, I realized you were joking, since no HUD is really not possible. On the other hand no hexes..

kaizoku

Arcane
I kind of like an actual color palette it's more artistic than lifeless desaturated shit that has super dirty (and muddy) textures everywhere.
You're trolling right? Are you referring to OP pic? Or to the desaturated version Infinitron posted?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
There's a difference between a color palette and burning your retinas out with oversaturation.

I very much doubt you can play something like that for more than a minute without tears in your eyes. And not tears of joy.

This is enough colors, IMO.
AUY6u.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ooh, that one's nice. The desaturated version I posted is more of a compromise, I guess.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Actually, I'm more interested if there will be hexes or any kind of tiles during combat. I don't particularly like "free" movement in turn-based games.

I asked the same question, but HUD-stuff isn't finalized yet. Obviously. There will be visual indications of the amount of distance you're covering/shooting over, but a visual grid might not be the method they choose.

Will movement be grid-based? That I don't know.

Morkar Left

I prefer the desaturated version (hey, learned a new word!). Is using different filters such a problem? If there is a big controverse about it maybe allow both? But when in doubt take the less saturated one because the artdirection went from cartoony (Wasteland 1) to realistic anyway.

Another interesting detail for me is that the camera distance is actually meant to be already zoomed in. Sounds pretty cool for me!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I prefer the desaturated version (hey, learned a new word!). Is using different filters such a problem? If there is a big controverse about it maybe allow both?

Fargo said on twitter this is an option, yeah. It's pretty easy to do, I think.

Brother None do you know if it will be possible for characters to take cover behind those debris?

Dunno.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Slightly stylized look, warm colours - looks excellent, as far as I'm concerned. The artists are certainly on the right track, the whole "desaturation needed, not dark or gritty enough" attitude on display here is simply ludicrous, to say the least.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Looks good. Definately didn't expect them to show us stuff so soon. I guess they don't fuck around with this one, huh? Expecting an ui screenshot at this point would be madness though.

RyuRanX

Novice
I like the colors, but the game needs more details. Sincerely, I'd rather have a tile-based 2D game like Arcanum, for example:

arcanum2012030423532453.jpg

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Note that they haven't added postprocessing for the picture, which may include desaturation or some tone shifting and stuffies.

Re: colors(because the models are fine, I didn't pledge because I wanted AAA photorealistic immersion)
All it needs is a few wacks of desaturation and some contrast tweaking
I'm guessing they wanted their very first shot to be eye catching and overdid it a little.

before then after:
a7ce92e7.jpg

It's cool how it looks very organic compared to the tile based look we've been used to for our post apoc games, I'd like to know how well movement and combat maneuvering works here.

In any case I don't think there's need for a big fuss for something as easy to fix and non gameplay related as color levels, all they need is have a slider or two that you can adjust in graphics options for more or less of what you're seeing now.

Even better if the WL2 team considers having a set of mood presets that people can switch to (and save).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
the whole "desaturation needed, not dark or gritty enough" attitude on display here is simply ludicruous, to say the least.

"hurr colors that means it's art"

Of course. And once again we learn that there's only two options: that or grim dark. There can't be anything in between.
And then the same fucktards laugh at World Of Warcraft or Facebook games for being overly colored.

Just so you know, pushing up the saturate slider doesn't mean you're an artist on the right track.
And if they don't want it to look cartoony when they have such obviously low-poly models then they should keep that slider fucking down.

I'd like to know how well movement and combat maneuvering works here.

Probably like shit without at least a hidden grid.

Captain Shrek

I am disappoint. But then I am easily disappoint.

This does not compute. Are they specifically targeting iOS first and PC second, With this setup it sure looks that way. Minimal efforts with textures and details is what I am seeing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom