Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Shadows: Awakening - sequel to Heretic Kingdoms

Sykar

Arcane
Control is worse than Viking - Wolves of Midgard? I was amazed (in negative way) how you can fuck up something basic like control scheme in action RPG.
I also found Vikings controls to be amazingly bad, but imo Shadows' controls were worse.
download is finished, installing now. I'll report back, if the controls have been upgraded.

edit -
controls are so much better now !!
I've only played ~ 10 minutes so I don't know if the game is good but I guess it could be an enjoyable time sink.

Did you have to install the first game or can you just install the new game and still have access to all the old content?

Martyr

Arcane
Did you have to install the first game or can you just install the new game and still have access to all the old content?
I just downloaded the gog-offline-installer of Shadows: Awakening without installing Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms first. and I didn't have any save files on S:HK because I only played it for about 20 mins on my old computer years ago.
as far as I can remember, the beginning of the game is different; there was a prologue in S:HK that is missing in S:A. :?
so S:A starts right after the prologue of S:HK.

Jinn

Arcane
It looks cool. I'd probably grab it if I didn't have so much to play right now.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
How is the chardev? Better or worse than the first version? I liked the first version more than most arpgs but the chardev was bordering on being too lite.

It was definitely great of them to give this out for free to owners of SHK. I think a coupon for 75% off or something would have been reasonable and acceptable to people. Getting it free was pretty cool of them.

Very light chardev with run-of-the-mill talent and skill choices.

It's a cool game however - an alternative into what action RPGs might have been with a greater emphasis on story and atmosphere rather than hundreds of enemies and loot. I'm not a fan of the art style, but the writing isn't awful so far and it's been relatively engaging. There are few skills and the loot has been pretty sparse, which is a good thing. The mortal/shadow world gimmick works alright.

I'm definitely playing more of this.

SumDrunkGuy

I've only toyed around with it for about 20 minutes but I think I already like it more than the entirety of Diablo 3.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So, Heretic Kingdoms is safe to skip if this is that on top of more content? Got Awakening for owning that one.

SumDrunkGuy

This game gets real tough really fast on hard. Anybody playing on the highest difficulty? That's gotta be a nightmare.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Seems like they borrowed a few pages from Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, with that spirit realm mechanic. It even looks very similar, with the enemies in the physical world frozen in time, and green-blue color hue with twisted shapes.

Sykar

Arcane
This game gets real tough really fast on hard. Anybody playing on the highest difficulty? That's gotta be a nightmare.

Do not bother. Hard as you pointed out already gets really tough really fast, the highest difficulty is just pure frustration unless you are a masochist, like dying a lot and enjoy fighting damage sponges 24/7.

Renfri

Cipher
After several hours of playing, seems okay overall, but some stuff is annoying, like poor inventory and equipment management, also they change perspective angle for some bosses, making it more difficult to circle around boss without hitting boss or eggs around him which spawn adds. I'd say wait for sale with this one.

SumDrunkGuy

The game never lets you feel overpowered, that's one thing I'll give it. Some fights actually become quite tactical which I dig, but enemies could do without some of the HP bloat. Bosses have been pretty alright so far, and there's a couple that feel like they were ripped straight out of a bullet hell shooter (awesome).

Stat distribution feels pointless as there's only 4 attributes so the choices are obvious. If they were gonna be that lazy they might as well have just copied Diablo 3's auto-leveling. Wouldn't have changed anything. Shitty role playing elements aside it's combat system really shines.

Theldaran

Liturgist

I really didn't know about this game, does it have a thread? I couldn't find it.

Looks like it has sold next to nothing, anybody has played it and can comment upon it? Should I get? Should I kill it with fire?

Last edited by a moderator:
Codex Year of the Donut
I played it for a few hours and quit. Wasn't particularly bad, just not a fan of the subgenre.
The way you change between characters was fairly unique.

Bricker

Educated
Thanks for sharing. I need to try it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom