Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem - open world isometric action-RPG

ADL

Prophet
Wasn't the GOG version dropped because now Wolcen is similar to Diablo 3/Path of Exile's "centralized MMO structure" rather than the original intent to just be an aRPG that had a horde mode only multiplayer functionality? At least that's the impression I got because I just thought to myself "wow, there's no way this is truly DRM-free".

There's a reason why MMOs don't pop up on GOG.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Sykar I noticed that common criticism is mostly linked to:

• rage-to-willpower conversion system
  • shallow and basic passive tree
  • casual difficulty

On the other hand, I like:

• offline mode
  • disable feedback
  • optimized graphics run great
  • respec on the fly
Big questions:

• endgame
  • Denuvo copy protection

Tao

Savant
Ill be honest: i'm pretty hyped for thoses epic forms

Tao

Savant
Well never mind, I just read that they ditched the whole demon form based on your gameplay for just 4 standard ones. :S

Perkel

Arcane
and bought it before price hike.
Hope it will be good.

My impressions from beta:

- graphics looks really nice
- weapons types have best in business animations
- didn't like much story and cutscenes but from what i know in full version you do campaign only once after that new char and straight to dungeons without campaign.
- their skill system reminds a lot POE skill system which is a huge plus
- umbra/rage conversion is meh but you can get used to it.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I was hyped about the game back then, but then the more they developed it, the more it seemed like they didn't know what they really wanted to to do with it, and were just hammering in features from other games at random (e.g. passive skill tree, dodge, player housing etc). The only feature that seems unique is being able to change form as a primary game mechanic, but even then, I don't think they know how it can synergise with everything else.

Games like Torchlight, Grim Dawn and Path of Exile, for all their flaws, have stable foundations of ARPG elements. Wolcen appears to be a huge mashup of whatever looks cool and trendy.

Perkel

Arcane
Yeah they were jumping all around until about 2018 when something happened and they started to make huge progress, opened up milestones for people to see etc. Early alpha and early beta were kind of shit. Very clunky with no direction other than "it looks great". Then they basically scrapped whole game and remade it into something else which was late beta which got good impressions from people.

What i am shocked about is how quickly they moved from beta to full release. When i played late beta last year they had public milestones on trelo and they weren't even finished with act 1 with plenty of things to finish.

The new story mod is SO lame, I cant even.

From what i know after you beat campaign you don't need to play campaign anymore and you straight to dungeon crawling with new char. So it is already better than POE on that aspect.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Honestly, the time I have left for gaming now is sparse, so a few hours now and then of fun monstar slaying with some pretty next-gen graphics is what I'm after.

ARPG interst never lasts for me, unless the game is crazy addictive and good like diablo 1 and 2 was. Now it's just hop online wit som irl friends and have a few hours of shittalk and fun on discord.

Wolcen fits all that perfectly until something better comes along like D4 or maybe Poe 2, although I strongly dislike PoE. Grim Dawn aint for me either.

Lost Ark, but as I said, still probably some time until a juro release and port.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Games like Torchlight, Grim Dawn and Path of Exile, for all their flaws, have stable foundations of ARPG elements

'Stable foundations of ARPG elements' are animation quality, fluid, crisp, satisfying combat, high production standard, etc. None of which are present in PoE, GD and Torchlight.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
German GameStar magazine:

Our Wolcen test went catastrophically wrong. Why?

They published a test after the review embargo ended - then the PR agency told them that their buggy build wasn't supposed to be the test build.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What skills are in the game?

Looks interesting. The leveling system and end game revolving around city builds(correct me if i understood wrongly), but looks like the game have few skils like only 2 lightning and 3 frost spells ( https://wolcen.gamepedia.com/Skill ) Is this the final game or only beta?

Perkel

Arcane
those are i think only beta skills.
Also it is kind of wrong to say they are "only" skills as each skill can be modified much like in POE.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
looks like a diablo 3 reskin with poe's passive system tacked on

there even was the Totally Not The Butcher in one of the videos

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Also it is kind of wrong to say they are "only" skills as each skill can be modified much like in POE.

Can i do cool stuff? Like raise a undead army? Nuke the battlefield with spells like Hailstorm(gothic 3), have spell like Finger of Death(M&M VI)?

Perkel

Arcane

Can i do cool stuff? Like raise a undead army? Nuke the battlefield with spells like Hailstorm(gothic 3), have spell like Finger of Death(M&M VI)?

Summoning skills are in full game not in beta from what i hear. As for other spells idk i am yet to play as mage build, i don't like to play usually ranged characters.

looks like a diablo 3 reskin with poe's passive system tacked on

there even was the Totally Not The Butcher in one of the videos

Yeah game takes a lot from POE which is a good thing. D3 combat feel + POE systems is pretty much what i want from ARPG.

That Butcher fight was scrapped completely along with previous work. Beta is completely different to alpha.

When did Hack & Slash start getting called ARPG? I mean I get that it's a sub-genre, but ARPGs aren't just combat focused games like Diablo, they're just normal RPGs with real-time combat. At least from what I've seen of this, this is a hack and slash like Diablo and Nox and has always been that.

Perkel

Arcane
When did Hack & Slash start getting called ARPG? I mean I get that it's a sub-genre, but ARPGs aren't just combat focused games like Diablo, they're just normal RPGs with real-time combat. At least from what I've seen of this, this is a hack and slash like Diablo and Nox and has always been that.

Evolution:

Diablo like --> Hack and Slash --> ARPG

I prefer Diablo like since Hack and Slash can be used for also fixed character with no progression games.

Perkel

Arcane
Gauntlet was Diablo before Diablo.

And killswitch was gears before gears. IT doesn't matter who is the first it matters who makes most out of it first.
Apple didn't make first modern smartphone with capative touch and system on it and yet it is credited with it.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
release day hype

See u all in game at 18.00 PM :p

im gon b making a warrior first, I think, or maybe a summoner mage... humm

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom