Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

Tigranes

Arcane
How am I not surprised that there's a blind rush for the pretentious reading list, but I knew what was going to happen when I offered the option. :lol:

He's going to get sick of it and never read a book in his life, isn't he

Baltika9

Arcane
So yeah, going into the ruins seems to tempting to refuse... A1 maybe?
But why tho? We have shit to do, man. Codexian bipolarity never ceases to amaze me: we want to play a more serious and withdrawn character, but look over there at the shiny ruins! :lol:
Yes, I am also guilty of this.

How am I not surprised that there's a blind rush for the pretentious reading list. :lol:
As much as the thought of elven baby Stalin lopping ears off her enemies before she even turned two amuses me,
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'll take my Poe, thank you very much.

1E. Really love Edgar Allen Poe. In particular, you love his horror stories such as The Masque of the Red Death and The Tell-Tale Heart, and how he deals with the questions of death. It might be a bit morbid, but you enjoy that tingle down your spine.

If only to be able to say that we've read enough Poe to see where this is going. :M

Codexian bipolarity never ceases to amaze me: we want to play a more serious and withdrawn character, but look over there at the shiny ruins! :lol:
Being adventurous won the previous vote. So buckle up.

Edit: +A2 from the previous vote, of course.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How am I not surprised that there's a blind rush for the pretentious reading list, but I knew what was going to happen when I offered the option. :lol:
In the kids defense, when I was around his age (even younger, like 6-7 years old) I wanted to read the biggest and most complicated book I could, which for me at the time, was the Harry Potter series. Read the whole series in less than a year, and eagerly waited for the release of the seventh book. It might sound pretentious but I'd assume that reading isn't a super common past time, and truth be told, the old works of fiction in the past are much closer in depth and complexity to the nonfiction books of the past, than if we were to do the same comparison today between modern fiction and nonfiction books. So it's not too crazy to assume he'd be interested in said books, especially if they were recommended to him by our homeboy priest.

Kipeci

Arcane
B > anything not G

He’s ten and just learned to read within half a year ago, let’s keep to (still astronomical!) progression rather than launching him headfirst at a brick wall that even the option says he would not understand beyond wanting to be the know it all saying he does.

Secondly, A2. We have plenty of meatshields around if things go south and one has a sword astra, if we get called in later to help when all these kids turn up missing we may have none of those. Rain can deal with it, we’ll be sure to be back by dinner without delay.

Absinthe

Arcane
Honestly challenging ourselves with learning material above our level is a good way to develop faster. And learning philosophies is more useful than reading novels.

That's legitimately around the level of my childhood reading list when I was under the age of 8 though. Not even joking. Except more Voltaire and more classical philosophy. I was exposed to it by sheer coincidence and got really curious about it so my parents humored me.

Kz3r0

Arcane
treave I understand that this village is based on anglo culture but I must lament the lack of Greek and Roman classics, I would love me some Dumas too.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
He's going to get sick of it and never read a book in his life, isn't he

There's a reason why the choice says "to be seen reading". But ultimately it's just a book choice, it's not that important in the greater scheme of things for a mere INT 6 character.

we want to play a more serious and withdrawn character

Didn't "A. You dream of exploring the world. Your curiosity and desire for adventure has been sparked by your recent escapade, and you would like to know more about, well, everything" win earlier?

But the constant attempts to make the hunter archetype into an intellecktual should be amusing, I'll grant you guys that.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
No, I'm saying you guys should keep trying if you really want to play that sort of character. It might stick eventually. +M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
We can be the bookwise mountain man if we just force it hard enough??

Yes, but it'll take years (aka not in this chapter) and you should find the proper mentor to educate you in philosophical thought too.

I mean, you're just an INT 6 kid. Gotta accept that while you guys might be 10/10 INT in your personal life, Wrinkly here is still only INT 6/10. :M

Absinthe

Arcane
We can be the bookwise mountain man if we just force it hard enough??
Well if we push ourselves to develop intellectual pursuits our odds of ending up as an intellectual will rise, yes. If we can do Adjutant+Doctor in Legend, we can do Hunter+Scholar in Tower. This is gonna be pretty fucking funny.

Yes, but it'll take years (aka not in this chapter) and you should find the proper mentor to educate you in philosophical thought too.
He's gonna have a great time correcting our MC's misconceptions, isn't he? We should go all shaman and "wisdom of the land" on his ass.

I mean, you're just an INT 6 kid. Gotta accept that while you guys might be 10/10 INT in your personal life, Wrinkly here is still only INT 6/10. :M
Oh yeah, we still have a long ways to go. We're gonna need that 10 int anyway just to develop almighty Traps 10 though. And iirc high int also helps us learn skills, yes?

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
You know, it's true. Kid isn't just a ten year old, he's a ten year old who learned to read in the last six months, basically. And kid isn't exactly living in a middle-class home with broadband. Maybe reading SERIOUS FILOSOFIE is something that he will pick up over time as a character quirk, but I imagine that walking around with the tomes now will hardly result in much actual reading. Picking up any of these books is already a huge leap into pretentious difficult stuff for Wrinkly.

Remember our thought behind hunter - someone who surprises the more 'civilised' around him with uncanny insights and a different way of seeing. I think this is most conducive to the use of novels that allow the kid to grow an imagination, sate his appetite for adventure, and explore the moral dilemmas and human psyche that he cannot really do so with his peers & environment.

1B, happy to endorse similar.

hello friend

Arcane
E. We've already had a brush with the horrifying, it makes sense for that to have left it's mark. A preoccupation with horror fits the bill.
A2. There's no reason to assume the ruins are safer with regard to the knights than the village, after all it might very well be the ruins they're on their way to investigate. They were newly discovered, potential astras to be had etc. Rain should stay behind, for her own safety. We'll just have to pass on that deus ex machina moment where she uses her latent powers to save us from the "__insert_here__".

Can we suggest some other stuff?

King Solomon's Mines is from 1885, She: A History of Adventure is from 1887, The Jungle Book is from 1894, The King in Yellow is from 1895.

As for the listed authors, the most appropriate choice for our favorite work would be The Lost World. Unfortunately, that one was published in 1912, so if we go with Doyle it'd be just for Holmes which is not too bad but probably worse than what Wells and Stevenson have to offer.

G would just turn us into a dullard and we're already not particularly handsome or charming so let's leave politics for some other time.

Tigranes

Arcane
Can we suggest some other stuff?

King Solomon's Mines is from 1885, She: A History of Adventure is from 1887, The Jungle Book is from 1894, The King in Yellow is from 1895.

As for the listed authors, the most appropriate choice for our favorite work would be The Lost World. Unfortunately, that one was published in 1912, so if we go with Doyle it'd be just for Holmes which is not too bad but probably worse than what Wells and Stevenson have to offer.

G would just turn us into a dullard and we're already not particularly handsome or charming so let's leave politics for some other time.

Sounds fun, but I think if we start suggesting different books we will have 800 different ones and never get anywhere. It's not exactly going to be a life-defining choice with said book shaping ev erything we say for years to come. Probably.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
1E Edgar Allan Poe
(correct the spelling maybe, treave - Allan, not Allen?)

2B
these kids sound like a dull bunch, who in their right mind would want to hang out with them?
if anything goes wrong they'll blame the lowest CHA dude, btw

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
1: B > D > C

I agree with Tigranes on that.

2: A2

Onward to adventure!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom