Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress [LP CYOA] Tower

a cut of domestic sheep prime

What exactly are we hoping the book gives us? A loredump, right? Which is pretty interesting for us, but is that really the way to blow what might be the one truly powerful item that our character can get their hands on for the foreseeable future?
I just gave you a list of possibles:

Didn't treave just tell us that it would be some kind of magical martial arts manual or was that a joke?

Regardless, I think our higher level INT and WIS would be able to put it to great use.

Books tend to be overpowered in these sorts of settings. A spellbook, a loredump that will lead us to greater power, anything.

Maybe it could give us power over wind, telekinesis, gravity manipulation, time stop - who knows.

The lore dump thing is a "worst case". Lore dumps in treave's lets plays tend to be pretty useful things. Knowledge of how the astras work, who created them, where to find them or how to better manipulate them or even make them could all be invaluable.

That said, the fact that this book isn't in a library and is sitting here alongside two other items of power means that it itself is likely an item of power and not a mere plot device.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Tigranes

Arcane
Fair enough, those are all reasonable points. I would still prefer the boots / eyeglass personally, but I can see the good arguments for the book.

Separately, I do think Esquilax's argument that we need to let the astra choose us is sound. It really cannot be coincidence that the lantern activates the crystal ball which unveils exactly three items for us.

What does an Astra syncing process even look like, do we know? What happens if it doesn't jive with the wielder?

Fair enough, those are all reasonable points. I would still prefer the boots / eyeglass personally, but I can see the good arguments for the book.

Separately, I do think Esquilax's argument that we need to let the astra choose us is sound. It really cannot be coincidence that the lantern activates the crystal ball which unveils exactly three items for us.

What does an Astra syncing process even look like, do we know? What happens if it doesn't jive with the wielder?
I think that the fact that we are being offered a choice means that we have the freedom to choose.

treave isn't the sort to write Btioware(tm) powerup choices where there's really one right answer (maybe a "best" answer, but not a right one). He's offering us the ability to shape our character.

Baltika9

Arcane
I scanned all of treave's posts for any useful astra lore and, unfortunately, we do not. All we know is that our master had a bow astra, Andrew was given a sword astra and the influence astra has had on the course of human history. None of these suggest that astras are sentient, or are guided by some intelligent design.

We also have no evidence that the astra chooses its wielder, or that it engages in any sort of sentient behavior:
I am going to go on a somewhat wacky tangent here; I'm going to speculate that Astras, being that they seem to be the soul's link to the heavens (Astra, as in celestial body), also have a lot to do with destiny and crucial moments in one's life. These objects by their nature are linked to your soul via something resembling destiny - I'm not sure that you can say "oh hey, I want that [sword/book/dildo] to be my Astra". Basically, you don't pick the Astra - the Astra picks you.

Gentlemen, we must let fate decide this one.
I dunno, this seems exactly like wacky speculation to me, given that we know very little of astras.
treave said:
Esquilax said:
treave: Based on the loredump, I'm guessing that an Astra is a physical object linked to its owner's soul that allows them to perform feats that or enhance themselves beyond normal human limits?

Pretty much, yes. Your affinity with the Astra dictates how many 'ranks' of their feats you can unlock, and you can own more than one. They can be found in shapes as varied as swords, to eyepieces, to pendants. It is also possible to reforge them physically to a certain extent, though it will not change the powers they give. Usually.
So we can link our souls to them, but nothing that suggests sentience on their part or some greater destiny being at play here.

I think the best thing to do here is to vote for what we want. And I want book.

Tigranes: As far as an astra "jiving" with the with the wielder:
Treave, why is Artistic Aesthetics not using charisma?

Because it doesn't say anything about your personal aesthetic appeal. You can be a genius artist and also an utterly disgusting fat slob with a hideous personality, for one. I can consider making it a joint stat if there's a demand for it though.

And what do fixation, dynamism, and mutability represent?

This has to do with the types of abilities present for each Astra. Picking an Astra Sign basically dictates your compatibility with these Astra thingies you'll be finding. You'll be given a more in-depth lore dump within the story but I'll give a quick rundown here of what each trait does. Bear in mind that these are just generalizations and there'll be exceptions to the rule.

Dynamism: the Astra is of a type that emits its power externally. A sword firing sword beams, or a hoe that carves an entire furrow with a single swing, or manipulation of external objects ala telekinesis, among others.
Fixation: the Astra enhances the target. A sword that makes the user faster, a hoe gives the user more stamina, or targetable abilities such as enhancing the natural regeneration of a patient.
Mutability: the Astra's power is based in transformation and conjuration. A cloak that can change to act as active camouflage, bracelets which enable the user to transform into a wolf, or the conjuration of objects out of thin air.

Also, a number of backgrounds mention an endurance stat, should we assume that to be constitution?

Yeah, that was my mistake. I'll change Endurance references to Constitution.

And what is charisma even good for, really?

Getting away with bullshit.

treave, will our choices of Astra influence our character like the zodiac signs did in Legend?

No, you will define your personality through the prologue's choices.

You're starting as a kid, by the way.
So since we picked The Fish (water, mutability), will that make us able to conjure a flood of water or a storm of ice spikes out of thin air if we pick the book?

Conversely, if we pick the boots, will we be able to, um, transform into a puddle?

Absinthe

Arcane
I kinda had a feeling you weren't going to be swayed regardless of the points made. All I can say is that magic books are usually among the better drops.

I don't give any weight to that. Either we pick, or we let the girls pick. Those are the options. I don't think it will magically become a more fateful item that ends up in our hands if we let the girls have first pick. I don't think that the girls by picking first suddenly lose the magic touch of fate. I think the only thing that happens if we pick D is that the girls think of us as more of a gentleman and we're stuck with whatever they didn't want. Mind, if the book turns out to be a martial arts manual, we will probably end up with it anyway if we choose D.

I agree that there was one item for each of us, but I don't think there's going to be special significance in how we pick here. If items are fated to their wielders, odds are whatever item we pick will end up our fated item. Still, I imagine there'd be some more voodoo shit or mystery going on if it was some kind of "the item selects the wielder" shit.

No clue. We don't know fuck-all about astras. We are at 0 in all astra-related skills. But so far we do know that it's possible to hand an astra to someone else.

Baltika9

Arcane
So since we picked The Fish (mutability), will that make us able to conjure a flood of water or a storm of ice spikes out of thin air if we pick the book?

Conversely, if we pick the boots, will we be able to, um, transform into a puddle?
A better question would be this: can we turn into a lake? +M
E - I don't like Cloud. Rain comes from clouds and she didn't come from us. Going back to the white knight brigade, Rain saved us. She filled us with happiness and purpose. We should be Lake or Pond or some such rain filled thing. Maybe Loch? Yeah, Loch.

Tigranes

Arcane
I started out by thinking the book is a pretty poor choice. Now I think the book is just as solid as the others. I think I've heard people out in good faith. AB is winning right now, yes?

Let's hope that whatever we end up with, that (1) this is actually an astra, instead of mold-infested antiques, and (2) we can actually unlock and develop its powers on our own over time.

Absinthe

Arcane
I started out by thinking the book is a pretty poor choice. Now I think the book is just as solid as the others. I think I've heard people out in good faith. AB is winning right now, yes?
I don't think you were arguing in bad faith. I just had a feeling you were already set in your choice. And yes, AB is winning right now.

Let's hope that whatever we end up with, that (1) this is actually an astra, instead of mold-infested antiques, and (2) we can actually unlock and develop its powers on our own over time.
I don't mind if it's not an astra, as long as it's useful. I'm pretty sure it will end up being useful somehow anyway.

Baltika9

Arcane
AB is winning right now, yes?
*dramatic sigh*

===Poll===

==1st choice==
A - 5 (3)
B - 9
C - 0
D - 4 (6)
E - 1

==2nd choice==
A - 2
B - 17

Absinthe - A>D>C B
Nevill - AB
Lambchop19 - AB
ItsChon - A>D B
Zerafall - AB

CappenVarra - BB
hello friend - BB
Esquilax - BB
Grimgravy - BB
asxetos - BB
oscar - BB>CB
ERYFKRAD - BB>DB
Baltika9 - B>A A
Hemisphere - BB

Tigranes - DB>BB>CB
Azira - DB
Kipeci - D>B A
Kz3r0 - DB

Life of the Party - EB

Last edited:

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
as long as he could remember, ol' Wrinkly Jack had been wearing ill-fitting hand-me-down footwear, previously worn by flat-footed drunks with fungal infections; is it any wonder he started drinking at a young age himself? at least he had the constitution for it, gotta give him that - he didn't keel over until a barrel of liquor had been honorably slain :salute:

whenever ser Jack Wrinkles reminisces about his early days, the forefront inevitably turns to that fateful pair of forlorn boots - his first honest pair of magic footwear, found at a tender age - at a cost too dear for tender days - alas! the gleaming manor, the large army of hushed servants, the larger still army of loud soldiers, the drug-addled harem of sylvan delights - ah, to be young with a pair of magic boots, would he not give it all away? Jeeves, are you writing this down?!

Jack was fine, and nary a wrinkle could be imagined on a face that wore such a beaming smile - but many wrinkles could be seen on it nonetheless; having been shot several times, little red puddles of Jack traced his path backwards to the bodies of misguided fools, who tried to rob a naked madman wearing only a spotless pair of fancy boots - but Jack was fine, and will always be fine (we all know it)

Absinthe

Arcane
If we're going at it like that we can invent another epilogue where MC isn't a rich fop waxing nostalgic about magic boots but a mighty archmage reminiscing on the origins to his power, his first spellbook.

CappenVarra brings up a salient point: treave, how Gucci are those boots?
If the boots are too Gucci, the girls will want 'em.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I change my first vote to, A>D, as I the idea of letting fate decides is also interesting. I am at,

A>D
B

Baltika9

Arcane
Well, they can forget it. With these boots, we will be the prettiest boy in the neighborhood and then everyone will want to be our friend.
bad-gollum.jpg

Man, fuck the girls.
...I wanted to delay this discussion, but we all agree on Elizabeth, yeah?

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
“Well, according to Scotty, you were a thrall to a cruel vampire, and that baby was a child you stole as an offering to your dark and terrible master. But the villagers discovered your master’s lair and set fire to it. That’s how you got your burns.”
Hm, this is a surprisingly good guess for nothing to go off of! We were indentured to something of a magical bloodsucker, we did effectively steal Rain from the maw of that monster as payback for the lost deer and our terrible master was certainly set to take her as tribute. It’s just that we double as the villagers who burned the lair down and already had our own burns before then. Insightful kid in a way, albeit fairly terrible on our reputation; perhaps we should have gone with talking to people instead of the book learning.

Anyhow, the way I see it, we might as well stand in the open. The girls have proven through their (thoroughly enjoyable!) antics that they aren’t much on the stealthy side and get jumpy with sudden changes. Spooking them by extinguishing the lights seems likely to make them scream and be terrified, and I don’t know about y’all but I don’t want to be the scarred ugly dude lurking in the shadows with two screaming, scared girls when any authorities or other entities show up here. Better to be visible and make no sudden movements.

As to the choice, I can see advantages to all of them. My personal inclination is towards the boots, since we can wear those without taking up room that we could use to be surprisingly well-prepared, it might assuage the dex penalty we took from our savaged leg and also I’d like to sort of reinforce that area since it’s something of a weakspot as is. Recall how Jing would get targeted on arms near the point of breaking and that sort of thing which would aggravate old wounds and put him out of full capacity for a sustained period of time?

D > B
A

Letting the fates decide is really just letting the girls decide.

Disgusting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom