Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Mortal Kombat 11

Generic-Giant-Spider

Be grateful, Silverfish. Now pay us $40.

I mean pay NRS $40.

KVVRR

Learned
Hey, at least you have cosmetics. Shitty, cheap looking, outragerously priced cosmetics, but at least they're there. You could be like Fighterz or Skullgirls and make every character look amazing but not have any cosmetics other than recolors at all. Be grateful to your NRS overlords,dammit.

Reptile, Triborg, Mileena and other characters both more traditional and more popular would be far better choices dont you think?

So every MK gaem should have the same roster? It's bullshit.

Vanilla MK3 was awesome without Cage, Scorpion, Mileena or Raiden.
Deadly Alliance kicked ass and lacked Liu Kang.

Mileena, Reptile, Ermac... I'm sick of people constantly demanding them, how about Rain or Smoke?

And Fujin, he fits lore infinitely more than generic characters like Sonya or Jax.

They made his wind powers to be used like telekinesis so he's now like Kenshi.

Generic-Giant-Spider

It's not the same roster, it's having a smart grasp on the pulse of your franchise. Look, SF3 became a great game after two iterations but there is no SF fan alive that will actually argue with you if you say part of why that game didn't hit it for people was because the roster didn't grab people the same way. Alpha 3 to some people isn't as good as Alpha 2 but the roster is so packed with favorites that it's no surprise on why it is mentioned a lot more.

The biggest problem with MK is they try to do this really dumb thing where they try to tell their fanbase that they know best. You'd think after games like vanilla MK3 and MK4 they would have understood it's not a good idea to throw too much new with not enough classic because then you're alienating rather than drawing. But you still see them repeat this 20 years later in MK11 and it's mind boggling.

What MK11 is doing is taking out the characters people have built 30 years of fan love for and replacing them with underwhelming picks, newcomers that flat out suck, or guests that should not be in a fighting game to begin with. I would be surprised if Capcom ever releases another SF game that doesn't have most if not all of the SF2 roster or if there's ever a Tekken game without Yoshimitsu, Paul, Law and King. KOF will always have Team Japan, Team Fatal Fury, Iori, Ikari Warriors, they tried a game without Mai and got properly ragged on for it, but you get the gist here. All these long term fighting games have their shit figured out except MK.

Here's a standard, base, should be in every game from now until the end of time roster. We'll get the franchise faces out of the way first. The franchise faces will always be Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Raiden. Beyond that, here are those characters you put in not because "omg im repeating da tril0gy rostr" but because these are characters that have always carried their weight and help give MK its identity:

Mileena
Kitana
Reptile
Ermac
Smoke
Cyrax
Sektor
Noob Saibot
Liu Kang
Shang Tsung

There you go, 13 characters that if you get pouty over you should be bombarded with expired eggs on the street. This is a base, forever-here roster people can fuck with. From there you go to your good round outs. We're talking Johnny Cage, Jade, Kabal, Kano, Kung Lao, Jax, those types. The ones that you generally like but you could probably live without.

This gives you 19, now I personally think every single MK game should have around 27-30 total on the base roster this gives you enough slots to go experiment and go wild. Add in all the new characters or revisit 3D era ones or less cared for Trilogy cast members, but if you release those bare minimum 13 characters every game then it's something everyone that has rocked with MK can rally behind. You have the obvious fan favorite ninjas, you got your robots, you got your kung fu master and evil sorcerer dickhead, then you can add some more old guard and still have enough to fill out enough with something fresh.

MK11 itself isn't really a great fighting game compared to its predecessors as is, but I'd put up with all that janky shit a lot more if I didn't look at the character select and see there's literally only two characters I actually like to play as.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverfish

Arbiter
So every MK gaem should have the same roster? It's bullshit.

It's not that every MK should have the same roster, but rather that MK's cast is too bloated with characters that no one but the hardest of hardcore fans could ever care about. That gets exacerbated by the fact that many (though not all) of the also rans were designed specifically to replace existing favorites. Li Mei for Mileena, Jarek for Kano, Reiko for Noob and so on.

Vanilla MK3 was awesome without Cage, Scorpion, Mileena or Raiden.

It was so awesome that it had to be updated, at least three times, for the purpose of adding characters who didn't make the cut previously.

Deadly Alliance kicked ass and lacked Liu Kang.

That wasn't an omission, though, it was a major plot point and DA's central hook.

I'll agreed that thare are kombatants that are just clones like Mavado (Kabal) or Jarek (Kano) but they are minority - Fujin, Havik, Daegon, Reiko, Onaga, Sareena - these are unique characters, among the best of the best and should not be neglected in favour of Cage, Sonya and other generic characters.

BTW I missed that Aftermatch DLC will bring something for the fans of 3D era - DA costume for Frost and Deception skin for Sun-Zero (Shredder!).

Another leak from trusted source:

trzd943hjqx41.jpg

Story + MK DLC characters looks sooooo good, but guest character... RAMBO, really?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is it just me or is MK9 better than X in terms of roster? X doesn't feature Sindel (my waifu forever), Skarlet (my other one), Reptile, Rain, Shang Tsung. But you do get Jacquie Briggs and Cassie Cage, oh boy. At least Quan Chi is in there, I like playing him even if he's an awful character. X doesn't introduce really out there characters like MK up to 3 is known for, maybe D'Vorah and Ferra/Tor but that's it. The Kombat Kids are ridiculously boring, what is even up with Kotal Khan and Erron Black. In MK3 we got cyborgs tearing each other apart. We get the Kombat Kids now, yay. Why not move onto Deadly Alliance and beyond characters? Havik, Ashrah, Drahmin maybe, are all better characters. The story is also terrible, wtf.

I feel like MK has lost its identity somewhere down the line. MK up to let's say Armageddon had this grungy, industrial atmosphere that managed to weave its more mystical elements fairly well (some attempts were better than others). MK9 started to distort it a bit and MK X is full-on cartoony in terms of vibe and characters. MK9 could've had a better story, a bit darker in tone and implications.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Man, Robocop is brutal in MK11.

He's also voiced by Peter Weller.

Dat Cyber Ninja-skin is terrible though.

I feel like MK has lost its identity somewhere down the line. MK up to let's say Armageddon had this grungy, industrial atmosphere that managed to weave its more mystical elements fairly well (some attempts were better than others). MK9 started to distort it a bit and MK X is full-on cartoony in terms of vibe and characters. MK9 could've had a better story, a bit darker in tone and implications.

MK9 is still ok. It's grim as fuck, my only compliant is that NRS dudes were trying too hard to copy first 2 MK movies and divide characters between two team - good and evil. Original timeline has much more of the gray color e.g. in MK1 Sub-Zero was just there or Tsung's assasination, in MK9 he's just some random Tsung thug. Or Kano, in MK1 he visited island seeking for treasure and even helped Earthrealm warriors, in MK9 he's the same as Sub-Zero.

Further events have softened MK a lot, who cares about Kung Jin sexual identity issue or Sonya and Cage divorce problems?

Then they have some Dragon Ball shit:
- Fusion. Sindel too weak to handle Earthrealm warriors? Let's fuse her with Shang Tsung. Liu Kang too weak against Kronika? Fuse with Raiden.
- In MK, teoretically anyone can beat anyone so they shouldn't introduce some random bullshit power-up. J. Cage and Cassie defeated Shinnok because they pulled up Super Saiyan Green transformation out of their asses, wtf?

Hell, even that 'lightsword' which is used by Raiden to decapitate Shinnok is ripped straight of Zamasu / Goku Black.

Just think about it, a fighting game where you can pit ahnold against sly?

Definately, I bet trailer will be all over Schwarzenegger vs Stallone.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
Then they have some Dragon Ball shit:
- Fusion. Sindel too weak to handle Earthrealm warriors? Let's fuse her with Shang Tsung. Liu Kang too weak against Kronika? Fuse with Raiden.

You have to admit, Liu Kang and Raiden busting out the potara earrings would have been hot.

You have to admit, Liu Kang and Raiden busting out the potara earrings would have been hot.

Now that you mentioned special item, isn't Kronika device kind of... DRAGON BALL that lets you reshape reality as you please?

Oh, and I forgot about Liu/Raiden/Gogeta/Vegitto/Whatever learning fucking ULTRA INSTINCT??

There is NOW WAY all of this is just a coincidence.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Can't wait for the inevitable scene in the new dlc where RaiKang wastes someone with the x100 Big Bang Kamehameha.

Generic-Giant-Spider

If that DLC leak is true then that is the worst DLC line up I have ever seen for a fighting game.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Friendships were put into the early MK games to make fun of sissy boys and bitchy moms that thought MK was too violent and shocking. It was when MK had balls.

Doesn't work too well in the year 2020 when MK became another Twitter crowd appeaser and has a fuckin' transsexual Kitana stan as their main gameplay tester.

Silverfish

Arbiter
The crowd appeaser thing is exactly why friendships are back, though. It's transparent, embarrassing nostalgia pandering. "Remember 1996!?"

Squid

Arbiter
Every MK should have Fatalities, Brutalities, Babalities, and Friendships. And Hara-Kiri needs to return dammit. Have all the ending things there. Quit making 40 dollar character packs. If you want 40 more bucks then just make that the end price for every new piece of content. Not doing that fucking twice. 100 bucks is more than enough you greedshits. Also, make sure Noob Saibot is in every game from here on out, no more excuses.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't see the problem with friendships. It's just another way to end a match, adding to fatalities and brutalities. Maybe they should've brought back animalities or hara-kiri instead, but eh. I'm playing 9 and X, though, so I don't care about what they do with 11 at all. They've already shit the bed with this continuity and nothing really makes sense, so whatever.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Fatalities are staple, Brutalities are good but should have less retarded requirements so people can't tell you're going for them and they happen more naturally, Friendships only make sense if MK finds its testicles and goes back to massively offending people again, Hara-Kiris would make the depressed fan finally commit IRL, Animalities were shit.

Best thing to happen is if Aftermath fails and NRS produces nothing but underwhelming sales for their next game so WB either eases up on them or releases them entirely and they go back to the drawing board to return MK to its original roots. Because the overly clean and shiny aesthetic with superhero poses at the end of each fight complete with stop frame and a bland "epic orchestra" score isn't MK at all. It's wannabe capeshit garbage,

Last edited by a moderator:

KVVRR

Learned
Another leak from trusted source:

trzd943hjqx41.jpg

Story + MK DLC characters looks sooooo good, but guest character... RAMBO, really?
my heart goes out to ash fans, god damn. he would've been a lot more fun than rambo that's for sure

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom