Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trigger the codex with a statement.

nobre

Cipher
Fallout is very underwhelming if you have played Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura before. Since Fallout came out years earlier, I sorta, kinda, understand why people are so in love with it. If however, a young guy would want to discover the greats of the RPG renaissance (1996-2003), Fallout should be preferably be skipped, only to be played if you're a cripple or something and can't do anything but play computer games. Also, Fallout Tactics is the only good Fallout game.

Single player RPGs are an oxymoron. True roleplaying can only exist in a multiplayer scenario. If you find yourself playing a single player RPG I recommend you improve the experience by turning off your computer, going to your bedroom and masturbating to the thought of slaughtering endless goblins or rats or whatever tickles your fantasy.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
iA9lJGM.png

boot

Prophet
Fallout is very underwhelming if you have played Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura before. Since Fallout came out years earlier, I sorta, kinda, understand why people are so in love with it. If however, a young guy would want to discover the greats of the RPG renaissance (1996-2003), Fallout should be preferably be skipped, only to be played if you're a cripple or something and can't do anything but play computer games. Also, Fallout Tactics is the only good Fallout game.

i'm literally shaking right now

Zlaja

Arcane
I'm actually playing my first RT blobber (Wizardry 8) and I'm loving it - wish there are more like it.

He's not really talking about a game like that because it can be played in both turn-based and RT. Also, if you want something somewhat similar check out Might & Magic series.

xuerebx

Erudite
I'm actually playing my first RT blobber (Wizardry 8) and I'm loving it - wish there are more like it.

He's not really talking about a game like that because it can be played in both turn-based and RT. Also, if you want something somewhat similar check out Might & Magic series.

I understand that M&M don't contain real time movement though right? (but the series is quite long so perhaps the older games are the newer games are different)

xuerebx

Erudite
I'm actually playing my first RT blobber (Wizardry 8)

Now i'm triggered!

Haha, well to be honest I thought "real time blobbers" means that the movement is real time, rather than grid-based. When it comes to combat, it's another story (can't imagine a party based game with a first person view having real time combat, it would be super confusing to take note of what is going on).

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Haha, well to be honest I thought "real time blobbers" means that the movement is real time, rather than grid-based. When it comes to combat, it's another story (can't imagine a party based game with a first person view having real time combat, it would be super confusing to take note of what is going on).

Might & Magic 6 to 8 are full real-time if you want them to be, although you should go TB for the combat (walking isn't grid related and it's full real time (monsters don't wait for you until you engage the TB mode), even nine but it was the one you never speak about until X was released ...

Zlaja

Arcane
I understand that M&M don't contain real time movement though right?

They certainly do. Just like Darth Canoli said in 6-8 you can choose to fight in RT or TB when enemies say hi. Just hit enter to switch to TB on the fly. Canon fodder is actually best dispatched in RT to save time. And don't ask questions about the last 2 games in the franchise as they're a sensitive subject. Also, don't misstake M&M with Heroes of Might and Magic series. Very different games.

Learned
I've pre-purchased Bloodlines 2: Blood Moon Edition on Steam because their regional pricing policy makes it cheaper than GOG.

Enjoy the rest of your day. I love all of you.

xuerebx

Erudite
Might & Magic 6 to 8 are full real-time if you want them to be, although you should go TB for the combat (walking isn't grid related and it's full real time (monsters don't wait for you until you engage the TB mode), even nine but it was the one you never speak about until X was released ...

They certainly do. Just like Darth Canoli said in 6-8 you can choose to fight in RT or TB when enemies say hi. Just hit enter to switch to TB on the fly. Canon fodder is actually best dispatched in RT to save time. And don't ask questions about the last 2 games in the franchise as they're a sensitive subject. Also, don't misstake M&M with Heroes of Might and Magic series. Very different games.

Dammit, had a look on YouTube and now I want to play them!

Edit: purchased the first 8 games on GOG for €5.27!!!

fqzcATY.jpg

And the backlog keeps getting bigger...

Last edited:

Cat Dude

Savant
Jrpg is better than wrpg. There are only a few wprg in the market because most developers in the west are busy making their next multiplayer first person shooter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom