Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If you've got some length of steam library and wanna back it up while knowing there's a way to use it, google a certain 'rin' website that has a popular hl1 mod name as subdomain and download all you need there to do generic cracking and emulation of steam. I keep a backup of my lib along with a folder full of that stuff just in case.

Steam's DRM is, for now, the most inoffensive and most easily generic-cracked stuff out there. If there's ever a change to it then keep the backed up library out of sync.

There's also a decent amount of games that don't have any DRM at all on the platform.
https://steam.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

Some game developers also give you prebuilt Steam-free executables, like egosoft for the X series.
https://www.egosoft.com/download/x3ap/bonus_en.php
X3: Albion Prelude 3.3 - NoSteam executable

This executable allows you to play X3: Albion Prelude without having to run the Steam client. See this FAQ article for further information. The NoSteam executable is available only to users who have either X3: Terran Conflict or X3: Albion Prelude registered in their forum profile.

Pretty nice people.

Overall, I don't really fear for my steam library as per games that are either drm free or only use steamworks stuff. I would worry more about people who use scheisse like Denuvo. Or always online garbage like Diablo 3. Steam going under isn't an apocalyptic event for your games. Blizzard would be if you're one of those shit tasters who like their new stuff.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Epic and Imgur appear to have a unique definition of the word 'ad'

sD2MDzd.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/epic-stores-free-games-end-up-selling-better-after/1100-6477948/

Epic Store's Free Games End Up Selling Better After The Giveaways, Says Tim Sweeney
Having a game featured for free on the Epic Games Store has helped sales after the fact, according to Epic's founder.

The Epic Games Store has continued giving out free games weekly since its inception, and Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney says game developers are seeing better sales after they've put their game up on the store for free.

In an interview as part of our Play for All coverage, Sweeney explains that giving players the choice to try a genre for free has led to many recognizing their love for it, and inspired additional sales as a result. He doesn't mention specifics, but does say that developers have noticed an increase in sales across other platforms and stores after their games have been included as part of the free initiative.

"You're not going to go out and buy if you're not into games like Satisfactory, you're not going to go out and spend money to buy Satisfactory but if you get it for free you realize it's an awesome game," Sweeney explains in the interview, which you can watch above.

"People have discovered a lot of great games that way. It's been a benefit for game developers. Most developers who launch their games for free on the store found that their sales on Steam and on console platforms actually increased after they went free on Epic because of increased awareness and so it's been a really positive thing and it's brought tens of millions of new users into the Epic Games ecosystem and that's been a wonderful thing for the company."

Sweeney also explains in the interview that Epic wants to bring the Epic Games Store to iOS and Android in the future, and the wonderful story of how his now-infamous plasma ball ended up in the middle of his office floor. If you want that exact office for your digital meetings, you can grab it here too.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm sure indie games especially love being an Epic giveaway, just to get word of mouth. The percentage of idiots who would boycott a game over that is infinitesimally small.

Irata

Scholar
Most developers who launch their games for free on the store found that their sales on Steam and on console platforms actually increased after they went free on Epic because of increased awareness and so it's been a really positive thing and it's brought tens of millions of new users into the Epic Games ecosystem and that's been a wonderful thing for the company.

He gives these developers a lump of cash and then people go and spend money at a competitor's store. I can't see how he's thrilled about that.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Most developers who launch their games for free on the store found that their sales on Steam and on console platforms actually increased after they went free on Epic because of increased awareness and so it's been a really positive thing and it's brought tens of millions of new users into the Epic Games ecosystem and that's been a wonderful thing for the company.

He gives these developers a lump of cash and then people go and spend money at a competitor's store. I can't see how he's thrilled about that.
And even though the game is free on Epic's site, people rather spend money and buy it in another store. :D Hilarious.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SEGA and CA went to the dark side

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/a-total-war-saga-troy-on-epic-games-store/

Here it is: A Total War Saga: TROY is an Epic Games Store exclusive for 12 months – and will be available for free if you claim it in the first 24 hours.

That’s right – we’re giving away TROY for free, to keep, as long as you claim it in the 24 hour window!

We’re really excited about TROY, and we’re even more excited that this will give more of you the chance to play and enjoy it than might have had it otherwise. While we know that some of you won’t like the Epic Games Store exclusivity, we feel like this is a great opportunity for us in a lot of ways, and we’re hoping that you’ll take some time to hear us out and for us to answer what some of the questions we think you might have.

First of all: this is an opportunity for TROY specifically, and we have no plans for future games to be Epic exclusives. As developers we truly value our existing fans, but at the same time we want to reach new audiences and have as many people as possible experiencing the thrill of Total War for themselves. As a business that means putting Total War onto new platforms so that it can reach more players. This is part of that and in principal we’d like future Total War titles to be simultaneously available, from launch day, on as many store fronts as possible.

Right now, this is a one-time, one-year exclusive deal for TROY. We’ve always said that Saga titles allow us to experiment, and this is an experiment on a grand scale. TROY seemed like a good game to try this out with, especially as pre-orders aren’t live on Steam yet, so no one’s already put money into a store they’ll have to wait 12 extra months for it to appear on.

So now that’s out the way, here’s a little more backstory. Epic approached us and asked if TROY could be an Epic exclusive, as part of a commercial deal. That’s not to say that we immediately signed on the dotted line, or that money was the only reason that we did this (it’s not!). It was a difficult decision, and you can be assured that there were a lot of differing opinions in the studio, and a lot of discussions about it – which largely focussed on what it would mean for you, the players.

However, ultimately we considered two things. First we’re at a time when we’re looking to invest more into the ongoing development of Total War this felt like an opportunity to really move the franchise forward by getting it in front of more people. Secondly, Epic were paying for our players to have our latest release free on day one. For Total War’s 20th birthday, that felt like an opportunity too good to pass up.

As mentioned, and like others in the industry, a key reason for exploring other digital stores is that we don’t want to be limited just to Steam. We also want to diversify our business. In fact, we want to get our games onto as many stores as possible. Long term, we want to expand where players find Total War. This deal gives us a great way to try out other platforms, such as Epic – to see what works for us and what doesn’t. It allows us to get a feel for the development required to expand to other platforms, and it’s relatively risk-free for you, too, as the game’s available for free when claimed in the first 24 hours.

This opportunity allows expansive back-end infrastructure development that will allow us to expand into multiple stores. That means we can have more resources, push ourselves further, be more creative, make more Total War. We’re always looking to evolve and improve on our games and this deal gives us a lot of ways to do that – as we said, fresh perspectives, money that we’ll be putting back into the studio, new ways to expand.

You might not immediately see a big change, but we’re confident you will over time – and we guarantee there are a lot of things behind the scenes being made possible due to this, which we wouldn’t otherwise have the chance to do. Some of this is long-term – but there are short-term benefits to you, as well as us.

Making it available for free, for everyone to keep, during the first 24 hours – wouldn’t have been possible without this deal.

Finally, we’ve got just one favour to ask – however you feel about this, please keep any criticism to the studio as a whole, and don’t take it out on individual employees that you might find on various social media platforms.). We get it. It’s unexpected. But they’re not going to be able to change anything, and probably weren’t the ones who made the decision regardless.

We really think you’ll love TROY, and hey, it’s free so definitely give it a shot, redeem your 24 hour freebie and enjoy the game. If not, it’ll just be a year until it’s available on Steam. Ultimately, we think that this is good for our players, good for Creative Assembly, and therefore good for Total War.

Thank you for reading.

GrainWetski

Arcane
As developers we truly value our existing fans, but at the same time we want to reach new audiences and have as many people as possible experiencing the thrill of Total War for themselves. As a business that means putting Total War onto new platforms so that it can reach more players. This is part of that and in principal we’d like future Total War titles to be simultaneously available, from launch day, on as many store fronts as possible.

In fact, we want to get our games onto as many stores as possible.

Do they even read what they write?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another store entering...: https://venturebeat.com/2019/08/16/my-games-will-launch-global-game-store-in-q4/

With the standard 70/30 revenue split, huh. The Russian company behind Armored Warfare and Owlcat Games.

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/bastio...h-10-revenue-split-to-game-developers-3004112

MY.GAMES Store to offer 90/10 revenue split to game developers

2 June 2020 - International gaming company MY.GAMES has announced a new commission plan for developers choosing to distribute their titles via the MY.GAMES Store platform. The new option offers a revenue split of 90/10, where 90% of the revenue goes to the developer and 10% to the platform. The new revenue split applies to all purchases that have been made via the developer’s own advertising campaigns.

To qualify for the increased revenue, developers must first generate a trackable link through the “Developer Account” area on the MY.GAMES Store. The link can then be used in any advertising campaigns on platforms including Facebook, Google, streaming channels and blogs. Purchases that are then made using the link will automatically provide 90% of revenue to the developer.

Through the “Developer Account” area, developers can also monitor all of their game’s important metrics including click-through-rates, registrations, paying users and returning user numbers. With this data, the developer can maximize the effectiveness of their ad campaigns, as well as accessing the higher revenue split.

“This month marks the one year anniversary of MY.GAMES. We want to celebrate a fantastic first year by sharing our success with our developers,” said Rodion Kotelnikov, Head of MY.GAMES Store. “We will increase revenue share to all teams willing to promote their games on our platform. The metadata we provide will give them clear evidence of traffic generated by their marketing strategies.”

MY.GAMES Store launched in beta in December 2019 providing a platform for all MY.GAMES titles including the hugely popular Conqueror’s Blade and Warface franchise. The marketplace continues to grow, offering more than 150 titles from over 50 studios and publishers. Since launch registered users have continuously grown, tripling in numbers during Q1 of 2020.

As well as the new commission for developer generated traffic, MY.GAMES Store is offering the standard 70/30 revenue split for earnings generated by the platform. This revenue is reinvested into new development of the platform and attracting new users through various activities.

“We have put our heart and soul into developing a smart publishing approach for MY.GAMES Store, with the goal of being the best platform for both developers and players around the world,” said Vasily Maguryan, MY.GAMES CEO. “Although MY.GAMES is a year old, our team has been in the games market for over 13 years. During this time, we have worked with hundreds of different companies and developers. This wealth of experience was essential for us when deciding what MY.GAMES Store should be like to become one of the most competitive platforms on the market.”

Drakron

Arcane

I suspect is the following ... Thrones of Britannia did poorly, Three Kingdoms did OK but not well and its on the shadow of Warhammer and I suspect that they dont have much confidence in Troy, the whole press release was "P-p-please give Troy a chance" being way too apologetic, EGS have became NetFlix of gaming in the sense they throw money at everything in hope its a success and became a dumping ground of games were the publisher doesnt have much confidence on the title and cashes out.

They wont do it with Warhammer 3 because thats big money and EGS is like cancer and you can tell that with that press release.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Epic money shower

- Pay tens (or is it reached hundreds?) of millions of dollars to dev/pubs to release their games on EGS exclusively for a period
- Pay some millions of dollars to devs/pubs to giveaway their games on EGS, now even new releases
- Offer generous (favorable revenue splits, IP rights to devs) publishing deals to some studios
- Spread $10 coupons during big sales
- Giveaway millions of dollars without any conditions to game and open source software devs to fund their development (Epic MegaGrants)
- Pay some (probably also millions of) dollars to Unreal assets developers to giveaway their assets every month

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Your brain on venture capital Fortnite money:

Man makes money buying his own pizza on DoorDash app

The owner of a pizza restaurant in the US has discovered the DoorDash delivery app has been selling his food cheaper than he does - while still paying him full price for orders.

A pizza for which he charged $24 (£20) was being advertised for $16 on DoorDash - and when he secretly ordered it himself, the app paid his restaurant the full $24 while charging him $16.
"Third-party delivery platforms, as they've been built, just seem like the wrong model, but instead of testing, failing, and evolving, they've been subsidised into market dominance.

"You have insanely large pools of capital creating an incredibly inefficient money-losing business model."

DoorDash is backed by investment giant Softbank, which this week posted a record-breaking loss of nearly $13bn.

Defending the loss, chief executive Masayoshi Son reportedly compared himself to Jesus.

The billionaire is said to have stated during a call with investors that Jesus was "also misunderstood".

He later apologised.

Last edited:

Learned
Something I forgot to mention earlier.

I only used Epic Launcher to play UT4. Finishing the game and making it a platform to showcase fan-made content as per their old vision could be the perfect sales pitch to make non-retards install and use their launcher, but of course they abandoned the game because FREE GAMES ARE FREE DUDE IT'S JUST ANOTHER LAUNCHER WHY DO YOU LOVE STEAM SO MUCH DUDE LUL I DON'T SEE YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT STEAM EXCLUSIVES

We will never have nice things ever again. I want a do-over.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
https://www.rocketleague.com/news/rocket-league-going-free-to-play-this-summer/

After nearly five years, millions of players, and billions of soccar matches played, it's time to talk about the next chapter of Rocket League. The game wouldn't be where it is today without our dedicated and amazing community.
Today, we're excited to announce that we're gearing up to make that community even bigger. Beginning later this summer, Rocket League is going free to play! Rocket League will release on the Epic Games Store on PC the same time it goes free to play.
This version of the game will be identical to the version found on other platforms, and will feature cross-platform play anywhere you play Rocket League, including between the Epic Games Store and Steam.
Once Rocket League goes free to play, anyone who already owns Rocket League on any platform (including Steam) will be able to play and enjoy the game with full support for future updates and features.

However, the Steam version will no longer be available to download for new players.

To put it simply, wherever you play now (including Steam), you'll still be able to play in the future.

Rocket League goes F2P, leave Steam and go to EGS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom