Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Dexter

Arcane
Demo week is still available for a day.

Tried Desperados III, cool enough but seems a bit too hand-holdy (Tutorials for everything and it even reminds you to Quicksave every minute with a timer at the top of the screen and sometimes even large ingame prompts..., there's a Minimap displaying every single enemy and friendly on the ESC Menu, there's a highlight key that marks every enemy red and friendly green etc.) and a bit janky since it's a Unity game and kinda feels like one. I remember the graphics of the first game to be a bit more distinct and gritty too, since they were 2D drawings.

Ghostrunner: Unreal Engine game in a cool-looking Cyberpunk world, very fast paced Melee-shooter with lots of walljumping and some Trial-and-Error platforming. Recommend turning off Blur. I liked this one. Not a terribly long Demo.

The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: French Turn-based RPG with 7 distinct characters. Tits!

Lotsa different Status effects, penalties, afflictions, To-Hit chances, backstabbing etc. based on position of characters, full/half cover similar to X-Com, no health regen between combats, combat wounds when incapacitated, unconsciousness on critical hits, immobilization. Initiative combat table at the top of the screen, turn delay, resistances, different combat stances, opportunity attacks, waypoint moving, environmental destruction, unique character skills and support boni, Retreat/Reinforcements/Elites in battle. Every character can up his Attributes on Levelup and gain Active and Passive Skills.

Wishlisted! If you want to try a relatively intricate TB RPG this is your choice. Relatively long Demo:

WgF0wos.jpg

v1hPXzK.jpg

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
Occupy Mars: Has a nice Intro video, but in it's current stage it's a boring Survival game with shitty UI and controls. Basically what this guy said: https://steamcommunity.com/app/758690/discussions/0/2522527267218854401/

Iron Harvest: Only Skirmish Mode, no Campaign missions or Tutorial. Meh, remains to be seen if the Campaign is anything to write home about. Have removed it from my Wishlist for now, since I wasn't too impressed.

Cristales: Interesting art style, but otherwise Meh. Gimmick where your screen splits in three and you can see into the past and future and interact to solve puzzles. Seems to be aimed at a young girl audience.

The Riftbreaker: Movement is Smooth and satisfying. Concept of building a base, collecting resources and fighting against enemy swarms attacking your base (mostly Zerg-like so far) with flamethrowers, rocket launchers, miniguns, energy swords etc. like in an ARPG from inside a Mech suit and teleporting across the map setting up new outposts seems cool, UI could still use lots of improvement. So far only a Tutorial-like mission learning the basic mechanics and killing some shit/defending the base is available, nothing from the main Campaign. Seemed a bit cooler in the initial Trailer, but I won't judge it on an Early Alpha.

This also seems like it could be interesting, haven't tried it yet though:

Btw. there's a Tab specific for RPG Demos with various Subcategories, although not too much else interesting in there I can find: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/gamefestival?tab=5

There's some D-grade looking shit that might potentially be interesting, but I can't be bothered:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1167140/Gloria_Victis_Siege_Survival/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1159090/Zoria_Age_of_Shattering/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/443190/Project_Haven/

Last edited:

Dexter

Arcane
no health regen between combats

Safe to assume you'll need many health potions?
You find them in loot chests or from combat, but you can't binge on them. I gave my chars HP pots when they were very wounded and was always at around 9 (you start the game with 10 afaik), and you also need them in combat to revive incapacitated allies with if you have one Quick-slotted on a characters belt.

The Hand of Merlin:
Cosmic Horrors in Medieval Britain. Merlin wants the player to venture to Jerusalem to save the world. Supplies are used while traveling (one per turn). Random encounters per turn. Every character and enemy has HP and Armor, the second of which regenerates after combat. If your party dies a new one undergoes the journey.
Interesting, but the bit I played seemed a bit boring. I stopped playing after my first party got wiped and I was supposed to start again from the beginning.

VR Demos
:

Paper Beast: Holy fuck. Not sure one can call it a game, but it's impressive how much they got out of relatively simple landscape and interaction. You walk around a valley following a huge paper animal and can grab and throw stuff, including the "animals" - also terrain deforms and changes around you, think From Dust and then a windstorm starts all around you. And the sound...

Blunt Force: Very disappointing and broken. The game has some nice Unreal assets that look very good, but everything from level transitions to interactions is pure jank and close to broken in the Demo build.

Rinlo: 3rd person Adventure Platformer, not that much to say about it either very positive or negative, relatively unremarkable. It has a crafting and lockpicking mechanic I guess and there's some interesting puzzles. Moss this ain't. They could improve a lot with relatively minor changes though.

Naau: The Lost Eye: Made by Turks with some broken English and "issues" and Bugs. Visual design isn't bad though.

Pleasant Surprises: Ghostrunner, The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk, Paper Beast
Relative Disappointments/Expected Better: Iron Harvest, Desperados III, Blunt Force

cosmicray

Savant
Football Manager 2020 is now on discount -50%. Should I go for it or wait until Summer sale? What's the general history lesson for games which discount just before sale? Judging from other years(FM19, FM18), it won't go more than -66% in sale, though.
I was waiting for the big summer sale, but this discount right before the sale confused me.

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some European action RPGs with peculiar names.

Sir Whoopass, supposedly a comedy action RPG from Sweden company.

ss_17f42913d37b765e10086f68d68d8352ac9cd8ee.600x338.jpg
ss_e22c231c2699baf6181ffdad89625b3a1d40e4be.600x338.jpg

Apprentice Arriving, some fantasy action RPG by German developers.

ss_16fbdb7566af94ea593f86395ce76c62373c7043.600x338.jpg
ss_097a7be41c0f62ab0bd80b3fd7c7e51b5c4c76c7.600x338.jpg

cosmicray

Savant
Football Manager 2020 is now on discount -50%. Should I go for it or wait until Summer sale? What's the general history lesson for games which discount just before sale? Judging from other years(FM19, FM18), it won't go more than -66% in sale, though.
I was waiting for the big summer sale, but this discount right before the sale confused me.
I decided to buy it, wait for summer sale and refund if it's -66%.

cosmicray

Savant
Why didn't you buy this bundle then? It was $30 for 50 games with Football Manager 2020 included and separately it's $25 on sale right now.
Interesting, I didn't know FM(and Eastside Hockey Manager) were in there. But the starting price was still the same as regular FM price in local currency, so nope, not a good deal for me.

Vorark

Erudite
My brief experience with the free weekend offer for theHunter Call of the Wild:

*At character creation screen*
Yukkon Valley is a starting zone? Nice! -> You need to buy the DLC pack.
Fine, Silver Ridge Peaks then. -> You need to buy the DLC pack.
Cuatro Colinas? -> You need to buy the DLC pack.
Are you for real? -> You need to buy the DLC pack.
Uninstall.exe.

Why let you select content you don't own and then throw you that message? Hide the DLC-only areas instead.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
God I keep forgetting how much a fucking the sale gives the store's ability to process normally.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom