Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
JarlFrank
HOW THE FUCK DID YOU BEAT THE FIVE TOMBS

Best to describe my party. As I said before, they're all cheatengined to all 18 in stats. They're also all human females. Here's the classes:

Gladiator. Feats focused on dual-wielding. She's really good once she gets her hands on two single-handed weapons. Hits a lot with both of them and does decent damage. My main damage dealer. Good class.

Fighter. Feats focused on sword and shield style. A bit disappointing. Does less damage than the gladiator but isn't that much more survivable. Not sure I'd take a fighter again, the gladiator seems superior in every way. Would probably try samurai next time instead.

Ranger. She's using a reach weapon, which makes her really useful as she can attack 2 tiles away. She gets a few ranger spells (but only one cast per rest for now), including a smaller-sized web, which is very useful.

Cleric. She's the healer and buffer, mostly. Also gave her the summon elemental spell. Picked domains kinda at random, but she's got a blinding light special ability (dunno where exactly it comes from) which is really, really useful but can only be used once per rest. Use wisely (I used it against the efreet you face when exiting the crypt).

Psionic. Feats focused on making select psionic abilities better. She's one of the most useful chars in my party since psionic abilities are so flexible. Not tied to spell slots but psi points so you can use them more often, especially the low level ones. The level 1 psionic ability "Stomp" is really, really useful, especially when you pick feats to make it affect only enemies.

Wizard. Along with the psionic, she kicks a lot of butt with her utility spells. Grease and web are the most important. You really, really need to use grease and web a lot. They help so much.

Now, how did I beat the five tombs? With plenty of reloads, obviously.
The first fight against a bunch of skeleton archers was relatively easy. One stomp to get most of them prone, cleric's turn undead to damage them, then swarm them in melee and punch them dead. Survived with only minor HP loss.
Big skeletons and zombies. The zombies were easy to defeat but the big skellies do a lot of damage if you let them. Try to keep them prone/stuck with web or grease, or by using trip attacks in melee.
The ghosts or whatever they are were tough because of the low chance to hit them and their STR draining attacks (I think it was STR iirc), but in one of the previous tombs you find a +1 weapon with a higher chance to hit spectral entities. Gave it to my gladiator. Tough battle but doable with not too much stat drain after a few reloads. There's a potion of restoration in the sarcophagus after you defeat them, so try to make them focus on one character so only one of your girls is stat-drained.
The vampire and two mummies were the hardest because the vampire level drains and the mummies drain CON. The CON drain can be fixed with restoration, the level drain can't. Reload when you get level drained. Your main objective is to avoid getting hit by the vampire. Oh, and he also regenerates health each turn. Tough fucker. I used my ranger's web to tie the fuckers up, defeat the mummies first, then kill the vampire while avoiding getting hit. Got lucky with a chromatic orb that slowed him, which means he couldn't attack whenever he got up. Used my psion's stomp power a lot to get him prone. Used my ranger's reach weapon to attack him whenever he wasn't prone. Surrounded him with as many chars as possible when prone so they'd get AoOs when he gets up. Also, he was still stuck in a piece of web all that time. Managed to beat him with no level drains sustained. Hardest fight of the bunch.
The undead dragon isn't quite as hard as the vampire and specters tbh, but still hard. Don't remember how exactly I did it. I think I initially summoned an elemental with my cleric to take the dragon's attention, then surrounded him. Take note that web and grease don't work on him since he can fly.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
JarlFrank
Thanks for the builds.
I did forget you had all 18's which should make the game a lot more doable. Trust me, with normal stats it's suffering. I should be able to crack the tombs now that I have the grey goblin rest spot so I can prepare, thank God.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oof: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...-revolutionise-old-school-crpgs/posts/2885212

Update #33: Emails Sent, Will Fix Bugs ASAP, Will Handle Complaints!

Hello everyone! :)

Okay I feel I need to make a small update to answer all concerns.

First of all, if you're wondering why I haven't been very present replying to comments on Kickstarter, or on Discord, or on my forums, or on RPG Codex, or approving messages on my forum, or replying elsewhere.

The reason is this: I'm just a human being, and since the end of the campaign, all my time was spent sending out emails and answering emails from people who haven't got their email, or who are late to the campaign but want to join, or who pledged but could not process their payment, or who have already tried the game but it's not working for them on their system.

On top of that I have a long-planned flight tonight and tomorrow which I had to prepare, too. So, with all of this taken into account, I just can't keep up with dozens of new Kickstarter comments / forum messages / Discord comments each day. Apologies for this! It doesn't mean I'm ignoring your concerns, quite the contrary.

I have sent emails with download details to nearly everyone. If you haven't got your email, please email me at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com or through a Kickstarter private message and I will give you your details soon.

Now, on to the bugs. Obviously, by now I have been made very aware that the game has important bugs and stability issues, and a 64-bit Mac version for Mac Catalina OS needs to be made. I hear you guys and I apologise sincerely for the bugs. Yes, I will fix the bugs as soon as possible. And I will work on a 64-bit Mac version as soon as possible. This will be my priority from 8 July. I won't be working on any DLC or any extra content while there are important bugs in the game.

So please rest assured that the bugs will be fixed. I should be able to have a software update on or before 14 July. I've been working on this game for so long; obviously I want it to be bug-free. It's not a problem for me to remove bugs. In fact it is something I like to do. My process with KotC 1 was similar. There were about 36 updates for KotC 1. The game had many bugs in the beginning, now it's bug-free.

Now, on to expectations and accusations. Okay, I hear the complaint that I should have presented the current version of the game as a beta version, not as a finished version or as a full game. All right. I accept that and I apologise for it.

The reason why I have always presented it as a full game is because, for me at least, it was stable when I played through it and I did play through it from start to finish. So if it's stable for me, why should I present it as a beta version? Think about it, how could I even record all these combat videos if the game wasn't working for me or wasn't stable for me? Yes, you can say that I should have gone through a big testing phase prior to the campaign, and in hindsight yes I should have done that. I'm not perfect so I did not see this at the time.

What I mean to say is that it's never been my intention to deceive people. With that in mind, if you feel strongly that you have been lied to or that you were misled, and you don't trust me to fix the issues in a reasonable amount of time, please email me at enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com (or through the Kickstarter private messages) before 14 July and we will definitely find a solution.

I don't want anyone to feel bad about KotC 2 or have such strong negative feelings against me. Doing a Kickstarter is difficult enough with happy people but it's a hundred times harder with unhappy ones. So, please just contact me and everyone will be happy.

I hear a complaint that the game is too linear. I did mention here and there, most recently in the Q&A with Shane, that Augury of Chaos lacked the non-linear feeling of an open world and that you're mostly exploring underground levels, and that I wanted to create more of a non-linear feeling in upcoming adventures.

So, while I can totally accept criticism for the game having many bugs, I can't accept accusations of deception based on the game being linear. The adventure is what it is and I never claimed that it was a non-linear open-world adventure. All I said was that you have a number of ways to resolve situations, and that is true in many cases.

So, please be reasonable with your expectations and criticism of the game's content. I already feel enormous pressure to provide download links to the people who haven't got them already and to fix the game's major bugs ASAP, so please don't pile even more pressure on me for things like non-linearity. About the difficulty, we can adjust that later on.

Those are the main things I wanted to say today. The main points are: please be patient and I will fix the bugs ASAP and if you're really unhappy, please just contact me before 14 July. Please don't worry if you don't receive a reply before 8 July, I will definitely reply.

Thank you everyone and I hope that you will keep supporting the development of KotC 2! :)

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
My coursor moves at 2 frames a second in the main menu, and the buttons take 3 or 4 presses before they notice the command. It's not really lagging, it loads quickly and new windows appear instantly.

And it crashes when I want to start a game after creating my party. I'll try for the 4th time, wait a sec... It crashed. The loading screep has appeared though so it was not exactly the same.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I cant load my savegame btw (created a party yesterday evening then saved and went to bed), Always crashes.
Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: KotC2.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x5ed4efd8
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: MSVCP90.dll, Version: 9.0.30729.9619, Zeitstempel: 0x5c4bd875
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x0000633a
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x2a94
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d6538321a259da
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: D:\Games\Knights of the Chalice 2\KotC2.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.9619_none_508d9c7abcbd32b6\MSVCP90.dll
MSVCP90.dll is part of vc++ 2008 runtime, 0xc0000005 means most likely access violation. tried to reinstall vc++2008 but didn't help. Well, I guess I need to wait for patches or something.

I de-installed the game and installed it on D: (i.e. not on C: which is the system partition) to avoid some retarded win 10 access permission crap and quickly tested making a party , save the game and then loading that save after restarting the game and it worked. Could be a work around for people having problems with loading saves.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't had any major crashes, and I installed it on drive J. Generally avoiding to install games on C is a good idea.

Mortmal

Arcane
JarlFrank
HOW THE FUCK DID YOU BEAT THE FIVE TOMBS

Best to describe my party. As I said before, they're all cheatengined to all 18 in stats. They're also all human females. Here's the classes:

Gladiator. Feats focused on dual-wielding. She's really good once she gets her hands on two single-handed weapons. Hits a lot with both of them and does decent damage. My main damage dealer. Good class.

Fighter. Feats focused on sword and shield style. A bit disappointing. Does less damage than the gladiator but isn't that much more survivable. Not sure I'd take a fighter again, the gladiator seems superior in every way. Would probably try samurai next time instead.

Ranger. She's using a reach weapon, which makes her really useful as she can attack 2 tiles away. She gets a few ranger spells (but only one cast per rest for now), including a smaller-sized web, which is very useful.

Cleric. She's the healer and buffer, mostly. Also gave her the summon elemental spell. Picked domains kinda at random, but she's got a blinding light special ability (dunno where exactly it comes from) which is really, really useful but can only be used once per rest. Use wisely (I used it against the efreet you face when exiting the crypt).

Psionic. Feats focused on making select psionic abilities better. She's one of the most useful chars in my party since psionic abilities are so flexible. Not tied to spell slots but psi points so you can use them more often, especially the low level ones. The level 1 psionic ability "Stomp" is really, really useful, especially when you pick feats to make it affect only enemies.

Wizard. Along with the psionic, she kicks a lot of butt with her utility spells. Grease and web are the most important. You really, really need to use grease and web a lot. They help so much.

Now, how did I beat the five tombs? With plenty of reloads, obviously.
The first fight against a bunch of skeleton archers was relatively easy. One stomp to get most of them prone, cleric's turn undead to damage them, then swarm them in melee and punch them dead. Survived with only minor HP loss.
Big skeletons and zombies. The zombies were easy to defeat but the big skellies do a lot of damage if you let them. Try to keep them prone/stuck with web or grease, or by using trip attacks in melee.
The ghosts or whatever they are were tough because of the low chance to hit them and their STR draining attacks (I think it was STR iirc), but in one of the previous tombs you find a +1 weapon with a higher chance to hit spectral entities. Gave it to my gladiator. Tough battle but doable with not too much stat drain after a few reloads. There's a potion of restoration in the sarcophagus after you defeat them, so try to make them focus on one character so only one of your girls is stat-drained.
The vampire and two mummies were the hardest because the vampire level drains and the mummies drain CON. The CON drain can be fixed with restoration, the level drain can't. Reload when you get level drained. Your main objective is to avoid getting hit by the vampire. Oh, and he also regenerates health each turn. Tough fucker. I used my ranger's web to tie the fuckers up, defeat the mummies first, then kill the vampire while avoiding getting hit. Got lucky with a chromatic orb that slowed him, which means he couldn't attack whenever he got up. Used my psion's stomp power a lot to get him prone. Used my ranger's reach weapon to attack him whenever he wasn't prone. Surrounded him with as many chars as possible when prone so they'd get AoOs when he gets up. Also, he was still stuck in a piece of web all that time. Managed to beat him with no level drains sustained. Hardest fight of the bunch.
The undead dragon isn't quite as hard as the vampire and specters tbh, but still hard. Don't remember how exactly I did it. I think I initially summoned an elemental with my cleric to take the dragon's attention, then surrounded him. Take note that web and grease don't work on him since he can fly.
You forgot to mention the +1 weapon is an undead bane club, so if you have a paladin with the right feats, its a lot easier.

Heroic Weapon: Against Dragons, Outsiders and Undead creatures, the Paladin gains a +1 divine bonus on attack rolls and a +2 divine bonus on damage rolls. The bonuses stack with all other bonuses.

As for fighter the advantage are the feats and use of armor, gladiator is supposed to wear nothing or light armor, you never get any good light armor, unless crafted and again losing rpecious xp. However i tried centaur warrior, he almost never charge, not worth it.Barbarian , half giant, is very good.
I think you need an ultra optimized party to manage this game, and even then be extremely lucky.
We should list classes that are a must have in a party. I wouldnt use ranged chars, not enough ammo and no good ones, plus everything ambush you and get up close anyway . I have doubt on wizard, i cant see how to keep low hp alive . Fighter types seems a lot superior . rerolling i wont pick rogue either, they are too weak, bringing nothing . Bard has nice abilties but sucks at melee and ranged , doubt the songs are worth it. No it seems full fighter hybrid is the way to go .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom