Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales of Maj'Eyal

thesecret1

Arcane
I don't understand why the beginning, which every player is bound to play the most often, is always the same kind of shit. It's just incredibly boring to go through the same dungeons over and over again, minor alterations notwithstanding.

PEACH

Arbiter
been a problem for ages unfortunately.

apparently the next expansion 'the lost land' plans to sidestep that by giving you an alternate start that replaces the first half of the game. bit of a bandaid rather than a remedy but I guess its something. hopefully he has a long term solution in mind that isn't just adding replacement zones that'll end up just as repetitive though.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
With all the different race and class beginnings, there is no need to do all the beginning dungeons. I now skip a third of them most times, but it was hard to get rid of the completionist in me.

Bara

Arcane
Aug 6th Beta 2 patch notes

My minions,

The second beta of 1.7.0 is now available!
You'll find all the downloads on https://te4.org/beta-test

Please, try to keep all bug reportings on ToME's official forums at http://forums.te4.org/ as it is hardly feasible for me to survey 10 different location for bugs.
Do not use addons or DLCs to test it, as addons can always mess up the testing and the DLCs require an update to work for 1.7.

This release brings a lot of little changes, fixes, balancing for the Necromancer, but some other goodies too! Of particular note is a new class evolution for Archmages (sorry I can't stop myself!), the High Thaumaturgist!

One last thing for those new to betas; characters will NEVER validate in beta; that's normal and as usual importing characters across major releases is bound to not work all too well.

Changelog in no particular order:

• Fixed some more Possessors memory leaks
  • Fixed possessing various NPCs
  • Fixed using Multiply while assuming the form of a multiplying NPC (now it works!)
  • Fix Kinetic Surge to let you self-target even with only one foe around
  • Fixed Endless Woes disease and slow
  • Harkor'Zun is correctly classified as a demon
  • Metaflow now only boosts spell levels for some turns after activation
  • Fixed Slow effect merging with itself but not actually updating the speed
  • Swapped Necromancer talents that used callbackOnActBase for life threshold checks to callbackOnAct so that they account for faster players
  • Discarded Refuse can only be used in combat, unsustains when out of combat and sustain cost is changed to a casting cost. It is not meant to be left on but to be used as a cooldown
  • Swapped Black Ice and Chill of the Tomb
  • Increased Night Sphere damage and reduced Erupting Darkness damage
  • Lichform quest correctly consumes the fortress energy
  • Increased the life rating of bone giant summons
  • Golden Age of Necromancy is now 1 turn invulnerability (it was intended this way but I was dumb and didn't find a way to do it until now)
  • Fixed a small memory leak when visual hotkey feedback is enabled
  • Buff maulotaurs
  • Add revamped bandit fortress vault
  • Changed Adept to instead grant a flat +2 to all talent levels
  • Fixed Telmur Ruins being too full of light
  • Fix absolute resistance display in tooltips
  • Detonating Charge is greyed out if pinned
  • Shadowstep is greyed out when pinned
  • Prevent removing talent levels learnt from items
  • Fixed Attune Mindstar exploding when used with a shield
  • Prevent Bone Grab to be cast on oneself
  • Voidstalker cloaks correctly work only on foes
  • Fix shield's power being wrong in their name but right in their description
  • Greater checkerboard vaults should again have correct vault door entrances and revamped it to be smaller and have a boss in the middle
  • Fixed Misdirection and Curse of Nightmares
  • Corpse Explosion only works on Ghouls
  • Fix Gelid Host from damaging yourself
  • New class evolution for Archmages: High Thaumaturgist, that focuses on using and enhancing beam spells
  • Healing infusion can be used even at 0 healing factor (for the cure side of it)
  • Capped Scoundrel's Strategies to 100% crit penalty
  • Curse of Shrouds movement bonus now triggers when swapping places with an ally
  • Perilous Cliffs should not be overridden by meteors
  • Shadow Grab now uses spell speed
  • Tumble targeting can now be freely moved around
  • Fixed a couple of memory leaks.
  • Reduced damage on River of Souls somewhat
  • Master of Bones' Armoured Skeleton Warriors now always have a blink rune instead of a random one
  • Discarded Refuse is now instant-cast
  • Slightly reduced damage and increased radius on Across the Veil
  • Casting Dire Plague on foes already affected will not reduce the duration
  • Corselight disappears when the caster dies
  • Fixed a few skills that work on living things from working on Lich
  • When there is possible negative life the player's healthbar will now account for it and add a visual marker at the "0" health point too
  • Fixed To The Grave
  • Health warning effect now accounts for negative life
  • Rime Wraith cooldown can not be altered
  • Corpselight can not be placed into walls
  • Fixed Frantic Summoning not actually giving the full speed reduction
  • Phase Summon correctly moves the camera
  • Fixed Call of the Mausoleum range description
  • Fixed Lich self-resurrect to work with minions too
  • Soul Leech can not apply to the summoner or self
  • Runed Bone Giants have gotten a little makeup
  • Lord of Skulls now has images for all possible bone giants
  • Assemble now makes eternal before heavy (so in order of size)
  • Gave a bonus for Dreads affected by Blighted Summoning
  • Hiemal Shield only affects 66.6% of the incoming damage when above 1 life, 100% when under
  • Fixed Neverending Unlife
  • Corpselight correctly checks for caster's position
  • Fixed Lich description saying they gain resistance cap
  • Lost life warning input disabler now counts both max life and max negative life
  • Putrescent Liquefaction does not damage allies anymore
  • Fixed Spectre talents to actually work (fun mistake, half their code was in the Lost Land code ;) )
  • Fix necrotic minions being able to receive items but not using them
  • Assemble correctly respects Lord of Skulls' right of uniqueness and will not merge it with the rest of the rabble!
  • Fix Cold Flames traps
  • Dreadmaster correctly learn disperse magic
  • Necromancers can now use the party orders to dismiss any minion
  • Added new hooks "PartyOrder:define" and "PartyOrder:execute"
  • Pressing x on the levelup dialog can toggle between the current display and a new one were every value of talents over 5 levels is shown at once (just try it's harder to explain than it really is ;) )
  • Call of the Mausoleum summons a free ghoul a little more often
  • Surge of Undeath now also heals minions
  • Necrotic minions can only be healed by themselves, other necrotic minions or talents that are not powered by nature
  • Soul Leech does not affect your own minions
  • When Putrescent Liquefaction absorbs a dying ghoul/ghast, every two of them you'll get one soul back
  • Necromancer's Eternal Bone Giants now know Throw Bone
  • Lord of Skulls now grants effects more gradually and at the high end can now even affect a bone giant
  • Fixed Shatter Affliction rune description
  • Fixed Lich evolution not showing up anymore in the prodigies screen once learnt
  • Moved the default binding for 'w'ield to 'e'quip and the old 'e' binding to 'E' (not that this matters as this was just and alias for 'i'nventory anyway). Those are the DEFAULT binds, if you want the old ones, you can rebind to whatever you prefer :)
  • WASD keys no longer affect negatively arrow keys
  • WASD keys now have a repeat function if if keep them pressed, just like normal keys do (the timing may bit a bit different from other keys as it can't be handled by the OS itself)
  • Fixed Zigur patrols crash
  • Fixed arena mode
  • Made the death code resilient to entities without name
  • Fixed a crash on reload when Draebor (and likely some others) is present on the level
  • New dispel framework, from now on do dispel effects as target:dispel(eff_or_t_id, source)
  • IMPORTANT: removeEffectsSustainsTable, removeEffectsSustainsTable, removeEffectsSustainsTable and removeEffectsSustainsTable now take a first src parameter. Addons need updating or will explode!
  • New "callbackOnResurrect", "callbackOnDispelled", "callbackOnDispel"
Now go test and have fun!

And follow up 3rd patch onvAugust 7th

My minions,

The third beta of 1.7.0 is now available!

Please, try to keep all bug reportings on ToME's official forums at http://forums.te4.org/ as it is hardly feasible for me to survey 10 different location for bugs.
Do not use addons or DLCs to test it, as addons can always mess up the testing and the DLCs require an update to work for 1.7.

One last thing for those new to betas; characters will NEVER validate in beta; that's normal and as usual importing characters across major releases is bound to not work all too well.

• Lichform does not wait your next death in the Arena, as resurrection is forbidden there
  • Updated the Arena death dialog to use the same code as the normal one
  • New Actor:udpateSustains() to force sustains to turn off and on again
  • Changed Adept and other such talent changes to bit a bit more clear in how they operate (add raw levels affected by mastery to effective level, they do NOT trigger on_learn and such and do NOT alter raw level)
  • Mirror Images inherit widebeams, Spellcraft and iceblock penetration
  • Actors are cleaned of temporary effects upon death even if they do not resurrect, to prevent some effects from lingering after their deaths
  • Prevent Born Into Magic to work with Elemental Array Burst as it would be rather useless
  • Slightly decrease the total amount of talent trees on rare+ enemies and restrict the level at which some problematic talents (notably antimagic) begin to show.
  • Phantasmal Shield does not retaliate to self inflicted damage
  • Expand randomization range for amount of talent trees
  • Slightly nerf caustic terror
  • Slightly reduce talents taken by rares
  • Limit antimagic on early game rares
  • Limit fearscape on rares
  • Levelup screen now accounts for bonus talent levels in the talent descriptions
  • Actors with inventory access disabled can not access stores either. Sorry!
  • Multicaster will respect Aether Avatar
  • Unless in developer mode, during betas the game will refuse to load most addons; as they only mess up with the testing
  • Fix anomalies from not having cooldowns/not using a turn
  • Fixed some talents description in the levelup screen when using advanced view mode
  • Fixed Call of the Mausoleum duration in the tooltip
  • Fixed a bug that prevented necrotic minions from leveling up their stats
  • Fixed Assemble to not error out when there are 2 skeletons and one lord of skulls
  • Silk Current also works on ice themed Necromancer trees
  • Fix floor effects (among other things) staying beyond their welcome
  • Prevent Putrescent Liquefaction from hitting your own minions
  • Fixed error when non actors deal damage

Anyone playing with latest betas can say how's it shaping up?

Rafidur

Learned
>Soul Leech does not affect your own minions

So are ghoul builds completely fucked or... ?

Bara

Arcane
I never kept track how many beta patches there usually are so no idea there.

Also just noticed this from the patch notes

New class evolution for Archmages: High Thaumaturgist, that focuses on using and enhancing beam spells.

People online have said it adds these features:
1: Turning all beams into 3-wide ones.

2: An active with a 20-turn cooldown and duration of 2-6 that lets you place an orb that causes you to fire off a lower-damage version of any beam you cast.

3: A sustain that lets you cast other (damaging) spells for free whenever you fire a beam at a 10-30% chance (costing mana, but not setting off cooldowns or using turn time; it can also only trigger once per turn). Also won't use non-compatible spells when in Aether Avatar form.

4: A sustain with a 20-turn cooldown that gives you free movement whenever you fire a beam, but that deactivates if you use more than 1-6 such movements without leaving combat for 10 turns.

5: An active beam that takes bonuses affecting other beams (Burning Wake, Hurricane, Crystalline Focus, Uttercold, Shivgoroth Form), ignores any resistance that isn't all resistance, uses the highest resistance penetration and damage bonuses you have, and recharges by 1 turn from its 16-turn cooldown whenever a beam deals damage.

Apparently you unlock this by killing any level 10 boss using only beams.

Found this also, a teaser screen shot of the new Lost Lands DLC
govpz9s8e4151.png

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Most of them are duplicates for the different difficulties though, and whether you have roguelike mode on.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Is it just me or did the last patch really ramp up the difficulty? I've died like 3-4 times to the Master gang-raping me and my corpse. I did unlock the cultist of entropy in my last playthrough though, so that's a plus.

Bara

Arcane
Can't say if it's harder or not as I remain terrible at this game

Also beta patch hit number 5 back on the 1st. New class evolution for Sun Paladins, Fallen.

My minions,

The 5th beta of 1.7.0 is now available!

Ok I promise this is the last time I slip a new evolution in a beta!
But this one was ready, cool and already made so ... welcome Fallens! Class evolution of Sun Paladins, thanks a lot to Recaiden!

• Tweak difficulty settings for nightmare (rare spawn rate increased from 6.77%->12.5%, zone level multiplier decreased from 50%->25%)
  • Buff the celestial/radiance tree
  • Give all melee classes that don't currently start with a point in weapon mastery at birth a point in weapon mastery at birth; this also serves to make sure randbosses have the weapon mastery they need
  • Improve Pace Yourself
  • Slightly increase dammod for knives (45% str/45% dex -> 50% str/50% dex)
  • Slightly buff glyphs by making them no longer prioritize yourself before enemies for placement
  • Buff Dawn's Blade
  • Make Vor Pride's special vault have a slightly friendlier layout
  • Remove digging from all vaults that currently require digging
  • Add a fun mechanic to prevent farming of ruined dungeon orbs to get alchemy ingredients
  • Lightning+daze damage type does not undaze if target is already dazed and it didn't re-proc
  • Fixed display issue with some languages in dialog boxes
  • Fixed Form and Function
  • Prevent learning traps from the library in Yiilkgur
  • Prodigies screen splits out evolutions from prodigies to better see them
  • Fixed npcs mistakenly thinking alternate Daikara lava is damaging
  • New class evolution for Sun Paladin: Fallen! Thanks to Recaiden!
  • Prevent getting prodigies you do not qualify for
  • Fixed some timetravel abuses
  • Changed Mindrot damage to happen on base turn but be increased global speed to compensate
  • Golem will correctly levelup when resurrected
  • Altered the Sceptre of the Archlich and the Ring of the Archlich to be more in line with new necromancers
  • Stone Fortress now applies half the effect when it is not activated by the racial ability
  • Eldritch Infusion now also provides a spellpower and mindpower bonus based on shields tiers
  • Stone Vines now correctly check for mindpower instead of just willpower to apply debuff
  • Stone Warden's Shard is not affected by counterstrike
  • Buffed Stone Vines damage
  • When in combat, Call of the Mausoleum tooltip will show when the next free ghoul will come
  • Surge of Undeath now speeds up the next free ghoul of Call of the Mausoleum and increases the duration of Corpse Explosion and Putrescent Liquefaction
  • Putrescent Liquefaction only ever sacrifices at most 3 ghouls and gives one free turn in addition to the 3 per ghoul
  • Fixed swashbuckler ego keyword
  • Call of the Crypt ensures you never overcap skeletons, if you would due to the free mage/archer, a warrior is deleted and its soul refunded
  • Skeletons, Bone Giants, Ghouls and Dreads will unsummon if removing points in their talents so taht they are not supported anymore
  • Swapped Putrescent Liquefaction and Corpse Explosion
  • Fixed party display to not show the levelup icon for uncontrollable members
  • Fixed over-generous calculation in Self-Judgement
  • Chat files can now use <<>> to make said text into italic green. Because I'm lazy.
  • Fixed Range Amplification Device from Embers of Rage to work correctly on hymns and some other
  • Aether Avatar penalty only triggers for spells
  • Equipping a belt of undeath or similar immediately stops suffocation
  • Dearth arena quest is now resilient to clones! BEGONE CLONES! YOU SHALL NOT PASS!
  • Crippling Blight shows the fail% in the icon
  • Frigid Plunge damage fully ignores damage shield (because the wraith is inside)
  • Fungal Growth should work with effects that can merge (like Bloodbath)
  • Dread now learns its talents based on the spell level
  • Gorbat bamboo walls support displaying single tile walls
  • Fixed Cursed item curses from disappearing on level change
  • Toxic Death always spread Vulnerability Poison first and won't spread Stoning Poison to an enemy already stoned
  • Clarify Torture Souls description
  • Eternal Night now also costs 2 souls to sustain
  • Swapped max souls increase from Reaping to Soul Leech and made Soul Leech nonrefundable
  • Chill of the Tomb radius scales more like other spells
  • Night Sphere description shows radius, and radius slightly increases at high level
  • Discarded Refuse now scales the number of effects affected by turns but no longer unsustains itself
  • Fixed Curse of Nightmare harrowing
  • Fixed Conveyance spells targeting
  • Disabled Korean and Japanese languages in the selector, they are not at all ready for support and were never meant to be selectable. Woops!

Lacrymas

Arcane
I did all T1 dungeons for loot and xp and it's easier that way. I killed the master with a withering one.

Lacrymas

Arcane
So, I just won the game for the first time. With a wyrmic. I'd say the end-game is too grindy and a bit pointless, you are mowing down legions of the baddies without breaking a sweat. Unless you find a vault with overpowered baddies in it or read a specific Forbidden Cults book, then you get overwhelmed with debuffs and can die in a heartbeat. It's a weird difficulty curve. I suppose it's good the optional areas are tougher, but I'm not particularly sure whether they are worth doing.

TwoEdge

Scholar
So, I just won the game for the first time. With a wyrmic. I'd say the end-game is too grindy and a bit pointless, you are mowing down legions of the baddies without breaking a sweat. Unless you find a vault with overpowered baddies in it or read a specific Forbidden Cults book, then you get overwhelmed with debuffs and can die in a heartbeat. It's a weird difficulty curve. I suppose it's good the optional areas are tougher, but I'm not particularly sure whether they are worth doing.

Congrats on the win! Wyrmics are in a very good place now and are a much better realized class, good choice. If you were playing on normal so far I welcome you to Nightmare difficulty, which is the sweet spot for me. Most veterans swear by Insane, but I think it neuters some abilities I like a lot for more randart RNG and less room for error, which I don't find a very good tradeoff.

The east has been an issue for the pacing for years now. Darkgod trims and pokes at it once in a while, but it's never really fixed. It comes after a very climactic point and the power curve shifts a lot after your first prodigy, only really recovering at High Peak. In the end it's just as you described: a long and mostly uneventful victory lap, with a few side paths for the really brave (or stupid). Their point is to allow farming for more artifacts to round your build for the final showdown (necessary at higher difficulties). Personally, I think the areas need variety and a smoother power curve (which is easier said than done), and some of them should be totally revamped (here's looking at you, prides). My biggest hope is for one of the upcoming expansions to introduce an alternate path after the Master, or a meatier side campaign comparable to the Age of Ascendancy.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The east has been an issue for the pacing for years now. Darkgod trims and pokes at it once in a while, but it's never really fixed.
I'd say the easiest thing to do would be to cut 1 of the maps in each of the prides. The overarching problem is a mechanical one however, you and the enemies start capping your damage, attributes, and abilities, so it all feels mushy and samey from then on. The game bombards you with loot at that point and most of it is garbage, including the artifacts. I did get a crazy wyrmic mindstar that bumped all my dragon talents by 0.30 and had a cloak which boosted my venom tree by 0.20, so I did ridiculous damage and was one-shotting entire screens of enemies with a single venom breath. I also had very high resistances and defensive abilities, so the only way the mobs could hurt me was by overwhelming me with debuffs, I died once in the Forbidden Cults high level book, so I high-tailed it out of there. I'm not sure how that's supposed to be cleared tbh. The game lulls you into a sense of security and feeling of "I'm basically invincible" only to then assault you with 70+ level dragons which put every possible debuff on you at once. I don't know, the East was a mistake maybe.

Oh, I also think the beginning was made too gear dependent. I *have* to do every T1 dungeon even on normal to get enough loot (worst case - enough levels) to reliably get past the T2s and then the Master. This wasn't the case prior to 1.6.

Last edited:

Rafidur

Learned
you and the enemies start capping your damage, attributes, and abilities, so it all feels mushy and samey from then on.

I recently finished the game with a wyrmic (breath-focused) too, and the room of death was just stupid, we just stood there yelling at each other (aside from a very tactical 300 IQ ice wall to split them up initially).

The only issue with that playthrough was not enough damage to actually kill most bosses before level 22 (especially the shert-tul fortress boss).

Lacrymas

Arcane
Ice wall is greatly underrated, but also very situational. It's indeed a super galaxy brain moment when you either use it to escape or split the mobs, but it works reliably only in tight spaces and corridors. I only put 1 point in it and didn't notice whether the space covered gets bigger later, but I don't think it's worth putting more than 1 point in it anyway. I want to finish the orc campaign now, who knows I might like it even more.

As for damage pre-22, I didn't really notice that. I tend to do Weirdling Beast a bit later because its infusions and shields are no joke. This run was super lucky at the beginning, however. Tons of good loot with +hp and healing mod, appropriate weapons, I even got Mighty Girdle and Ice Giant Wraps relatively early, so it was definitely not an average run and I can't speak generally about damage.

Last edited:

Rafidur

Learned
It gets wider coverage and duration. It's actually very good with the nature's cooldown refresh on higher difficulties, walling off a huge area for 18(!) turns, though burrow and lightning speed are usually better and more versatile.

For the damage that's a problem with breath wyrmic, he doesn't get will scaling until picking up a level 22 talent in an optional tree. Weapon wyrmic is fine.

edit: does anyone know how do get a possessor to use a third weapon in a mindslayer body?

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
So, I just died to the last boss in Embers of Rage. He was basically impossible for my build (Bulwark with sub-optimal prodigies). I knew I was fucked the moment I narratively realized what I would be fighting, though. I think the campaign isn't well balanced. You steamroll through 99% of it and then bosses splatter you (this might be because it's balanced for the tinker classes? That's what google suggests anyway). I prefer the original campaign still, but I haven't tried EoR on nightmare or higher yet. I liked the lore even though the last boss comes totally out of the left field and has nothing to do with the rest of it. I'd have preferred more allied NPCs that relay the story to you because it's quite a personal one (up until the last boss) and quests being sent down to your brain through a beam in the sky like in the OC doesn't quite work. Both OCs kind of suffer from your narrative overpowerdness not being explained in any way. It suffers because the lore constantly references how unimaginably strong you are, yet provide no explanation. Yeah, it's weird to care about lore in a roguelike, but I can't help it, the game bombards you with walls of text that is actually sometimes interesting and/or funny to read.

I also unlocked Scourge Drake for wyrmics. I know there's a demented dragon type to unlock in the normal campaign too. I kind of want to clear the game again with a wyrmic with those dragon types, but I don't see how they blend well with the other elemental drakes, especially since the class relies so much on the breaths of most of the trees. And you probably have to unlock them with category points, which you don't really have that much of because you also need inscriptions and higher draconic abilities. I guess you could go Cornac, but halflings are so good for the class.

EDIT: Yeap, I checked, they require category points. Not only that, but they require the magic stat as well, so they totally contradict the other trees. You also can't go anti-magic and you probably can't go into Zigur to get mindstars. I dunno, it's weird, you have to have a completely different build to even make this possible and I'm not sure it's worth it. You could probably go staves and use a darkness staff, but the two trees don't have the same damage types (blight vs darkness. Or it's just a tree for adventurers.

Last edited:

TwoEdge

Scholar
So, I just died to the last boss in Embers of Rage. He was basically impossible for my build (Bulwark with sub-optimal prodigies). I knew I was fucked the moment I narratively realized what I would be fighting, though. I think the campaign isn't well balanced. You steamroll through 99% of it and then bosses splatter you (this might be because it's balanced for the tinker classes? That's what google suggests anyway). I prefer the original campaign still, but I haven't tried EoR on nightmare or higher yet. I liked the lore even though the last boss comes totally out of the left field and has nothing to do with the rest of it. I'd have preferred more allied NPCs that relay the story to you because it's quite a personal one (up until the last boss) and quests being sent down to your brain through a beam in the sky like in the OC doesn't quite work. Both OCs kind of suffer from your narrative overpowerdness not being explained in any way. It suffers because the lore constantly references how unimaginably strong you are, yet provide no explanation. Yeah, it's weird to care about lore in a roguelike, but I can't help it, the game bombards you with walls of text that is actually sometimes interesting and/or funny to read.

I also unlocked Scourge Drake for wyrmics. I know there's a demented dragon type to unlock in the normal campaign too. I kind of want to clear the game again with a wyrmic with those dragon types, but I don't see how they blend well with the other elemental drakes, especially since the class relies so much on the breaths of most of the trees. And you probably have to unlock them with category points, which you don't really have that much of because you also need inscriptions and higher draconic abilities. I guess you could go Cornac, but halflings are so good for the class.

EDIT: Yeap, I checked, they require category points. Not only that, but they require the magic stat as well, so they totally contradict the other trees. You also can't go anti-magic and you probably can't go into Zigur to get mindstars. I dunno, it's weird, you have to have a completely different build to even make this possible and I'm not sure it's worth it. You could probably go staves and use a darkness staff, but the two trees don't have the same damage types (blight vs darkness. Or it's just a tree for adventurers.

It's a gimmicky tree, but it has one broken exploit (and I should also point out, that a single tree, even if it's not particularly synergistic with its class, can make for very interesting adventurer builds), I'll let people with more experience in the subject explain in depth.

http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=47670

Basically, Raze deals damage whenever you deal damage, and there's a ring that splits your damage into four different instances of damage (one for each element). Also, there's a prodigy that splits your damage even more, into a mental subtype, doubling the output. The result, I've been told, is impressive.

On a sidenote, although they worked, breath Wyrmics were very underpowered until the latest iteration of the game and the class did fine on weapon talents.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
That's really cool. I love such items which enable weird builds. I'm definitely going to try it. I do have an elemental fury on one of my chars I can vault.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
I'm trying to win on nightmare as a necro before the rework hits live in order to better appreciate that rework. However, I find myself dying very easily and I'm not sure what I can do. Getting to Sacrifice lasts quite a long time, so that's not an option early-game. The problem is the necro has very low hp and I can easily die by being surrendered or blasted in the face with a Corruptor's Blood Spray. The shield in the Conveyance line is terrible because it's unreliable. Maybe I should bump Blurred Mortality? Or maybe I just shouldn't get caught in bad situations? Which is easier said than done. I'm probably just terrible with casters in this game, lol.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom