Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Duraframe300

Arcane
So Parker is directing this? God I hope Jones is on the project too. Can’t explain why but reading about Avellone talking about how Parker and Jones fucking hated each other and were constantly insulting each other made me so happy.

That this is Parker’s baby, Parker whom Avellone names as being the guy sent to clean up utter dumpsterfires into barely passable games, tells me a lot about how Obsidian views the Pillars IP. No wonder Sawyer is so depressed.

Watch it be Obsidian's best game in a while. :lol:

Doktor Best

Arcane
2 minutes trailer that doesn't show anything relevant

Me: well no way anybody can make something out of this, better go to sleep

Codex: did you say 14 PAGES?!

Codex is like that guy who pretends he doesn't care about his ex anymore but checks her social media profiles so much at work he already got yelled at by the boss in front of everyone.

Azdul

Magister
Oh there will be mod support, they're already seeing dollars in their eyes, thinking they must replicate Skyrim to the letter. Problem is, this game will suck and have no mods, cause bad games don't get mods.
Many good games also get no mods. It's the issue of how fast modders can start modding. In the case of Skyrim, people were already familiar with the engine from Oblivion and Morrowind, and first mods appeared hours after release. If Obsidian will add mod support 1 year after launch - noone will care.

Also - Skyrim didn't have Denuvo, Uplay, UWP, Epic Game Store exclusivity, day one DLC - all that bullshit that make testing the mod and then finding the people willing to download it unnecessarly hard.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
this won't get mods because modding UE4 games without developer provided tools is too difficult
modding unity games is trivial in comparison

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ultimately it comes down to gameplay. Writing can be serviceable at best, setting can be somewhat generic, but if it is fun to play, if it has reactivity and comprehensive enough systems to make the minute to minute trudging interesting, it is good enough a game.

It’s probably ”fabulously optimistic” to expect that even to a minuscule extent, but I would hope that Obsidian finally took the bull by the horns and started getting creative with their gameplay.

How would real(tm) RPG’s do things systemically in first person.
How to ”gamify” dialog, so it isn’t all the time just the usual choosing of lines with an occasional skillgate.
How to make out-of-combat gameplay interesting, so the game doesn’t devolve solely into an empty walkin sim between combat and dialog sequences, and sink into the grey mass of all the other games exactly alike.

You know, innovate (by todays standards).

#whoamitryingtofool

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
2 minutes trailer that doesn't show anything relevant

Me: well no way anybody can make something out of this, better go to sleep

Codex: did you say 14 PAGES?!

Codex is like that guy who pretends he doesn't care about his ex anymore but checks her social media profiles so much at work he already got yelled at by the boss in front of everyone.

Codex criticises cause Codex cares.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Hobo Elf

Arcane
So Parker is directing this? God I hope Jones is on the project too. Can’t explain why but reading about Avellone talking about how Parker and Jones fucking hated each other and were constantly insulting each other made me so happy.

That this is Parker’s baby, Parker whom Avellone names as being the guy sent to clean up utter dumpsterfires into barely passable games, tells me a lot about how Obsidian views the Pillars IP. No wonder Sawyer is so depressed.

Watch it be Obsidian's best game in a while. :lol:
It'll probably be the best performing Pillars game at least, although being on the Xbox game pass makes measuring this metric a bit more difficult.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Saying it now, this will be a smallish spin off. Probably dungeon focused, action oriented, much like Dark Alliance was for Baldur's Gate. Everyone expecting Skyrim will be sorely dissapointed.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Saying it now, this will be a smallish spin off. Probably dungeon focused, action oriented, much like Dark Alliance was for Baldur's Gate. Everyone expecting Skyrim will be sorely dissapointed.
matt booty said it's a high budget game, so it's definitely not a smallish spin off.

But I agree, Obsidian can't pull off something like Skyrim. It'll be TOW but with swords and magic.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
For anyone hyped for this, your epic heroic high-fantasy RPG will be written and designed by these people:

D1KH5IrU8AAV1uw.jpg

Flou

Arbiter
Ultimately it comes down to gameplay. Writing can be serviceable at best, setting can be somewhat generic, but if it is fun to play, if it has reactivity and comprehensive enough systems to make the minute to minute trudging interesting, it is good enough a game.

It’s probably ”fabulously optimistic” to expect that even to a minuscule extent, but I would hope that Obsidian finally took the bull by the horns and started getting creative with their gameplay.

How would real(tm) RPG’s do things systemically in first person.
How to ”gamify” dialog, so it isn’t all the time just the usual choosing of lines with an occasional skillgate.
How to make out-of-combat gameplay interesting, so the game doesn’t devolve solely into an empty walkin sim between combat and dialog sequences, and sink into the grey mass of all the other games exactly alike.

You know, innovate (by todays standards).

#whoamitryingtofool

At least they hired a bunch of new Gameplay programmers for this project as well as beefed up their animation department. I think those two were really lacking in TOW.

They already "gamified" dialog in Alpha Protocol. It's a shame they haven't gone back to that since then.

Max Heap

Arcane
For anyone hyped for this, your epic heroic high-fantasy RPG will be written and designed by these people:

D1KH5IrU8AAV1uw.jpg

The common femoid prefers juvenile illusions of security and control over the cold and harsh realities of freedom and responsibility. This has been observed in its voting behaviour uncountable times.

Therefore, my dear colleagues, I hypothesize, that the femoids abilities to design RPGs - a setup heavily emphasising the agency of its actors - are therefore at a clear, inherent and potentially biological disadvantage.

:obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom