Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Can't usurp.
bc9ad81c8fbd024c75fb7beab9639b34.png

Can't declare war.
b9c83cc256eaf9f4259989084e2a83c9.png

What proposal is he considering? There's no proposals.

And he's at war with someone? So he's immune to usurpation? This sucks.

Harthwain

Magister
This means he didn't yet respond to a message from you. I had the same message when I asked for a marriage and wanted to set up a second one from the same ruler, but didn't have the answer about the first.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Charlemagne conquered Europe only to divide it in the Divisio Regnorum, which was the Frankish custom. Only because his brothers died, Louis the Pious inherited everything, but after his death, the Empire was divided again - even though he tried to - deviating from the Frankish custom - to keep it united under an Emperor in the Ordinatio imperii.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
This means he didn't yet respond to a message from you. I had the same message when I asked for a marriage and wanted to set up a second one from the same ruler, but didn't have the answer about the first.
Nope. I only ever ransomed him his wife back. We had no other dealings after the war or before the war.

How long's the truce period?

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So this is basically the same as CK2 and maybe in a few years it'll surpass it but not now. Sad. Really looking for something with very big steps forward.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Worst part about DLC is not only do you have to pay $100 for a complete game plus another $200 for the bonus stuff, but you have to wait 2 years for the $100 complete game.

Got cucked by my wife....and couldn't even imprison her for a nice torture,that is retarded!
In that specific case it must be an issue with Bulgaria, 'cause in Ireland in 867 you're free to imprison and torture wives for adultery while adulterous men are just slightly frowned upon. It's in that useless religion tab I believe. :M

To figure out the heir's heir, in ck2 it was usually enough to check the succession law for that country. If it's male primogeniture, the oldest son gets the title (unless any law changes happen in the meantime). Of course, with elective succession it's much less obvious to guess who it would be. I would assume a similar approach would work in ck3, but I find it frustrating to look for information in its UI, it feels like it's constantly fighting back.
If you click a title you get the succession line for about 5 steps deep.
I've read that chechs can have seniority from day one, which makes them a natural culture of choice for anyone who is not a larper pussy who loves giving away his hard-earned stuff.
I might have to look into that. Also my fault for doing a 867 start rather than 1066 I guess, but eh. I can roll with splitting titles once I've got a better grasp of the game, but since I'm still learning the new UI and everything I probably should play a more map painting-friendly region until I get my sea legs under me.

mondblut

Arcane
And he's at war with someone? So he's immune to usurpation? This sucks.

In my current CK2 game I couldn't usurp kingdom of Bohemia (which also used to cover a good deal of Bavaria and Pomerania once) for 50 years, because the poor fuck had to fight off 3 to 6 conquests and holy wars at once from my incompetent vassals at any given time and never knew peace. Had to chip away at him the hard way instead of just usurping then DOWing all his former vassals simultaneously. Annoying.

Consul

Arbiter
No idea how anyone with their head screwed on rigiht thinks the UI is some major downgrade. Learning CK2 is a pain the ass, in no small part beacuse of how much information is hidden from you. The rew tooltip system alone is one of the best things Paradox has even done.

I've heard the same thing from someone else. What information was hidden from you in CK2, because of the UI? Can you give any specifics? It's not a matter of getting accustumed to it, the UI is one of the major things that prevents me from buying this game, I despise it that much. It looks cheap, covers half of the screen, lacks style and is not aesthetic at all. I don't understand what problems people had with the UI of CK2, it was great and now I'm hearing that it was actually horrible UI. The only thing CK3 UI has over the CK2 is expanding tooltips and that's it. All the rest is a serious downgrade on many levels.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
@ Consul: I would say a lot of the mechanics themselves were hidden, honestly. Which was the biggest problem. Less "what do I have?" so much as "how the fuck does this work?". Both are communicating important information, and I think it'll show by how much easier people get into CK3.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
@ Consul: I would say a lot of the mechanics themselves were hidden, honestly. Which was the biggest problem. Less "what do I have?" so much as "how the fuck does this work?". Both are communicating important information, and I think it'll show by how much easier people get into CK3.
Isnt CK3 also just a simpler game, though?

In any case the stacking tooltips are great, but that's the most positive thing I've heard about the game. Stacking tooltips are not even a Paradox innovation, though, so they don't get too much credit for that.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yep. CK3's UI is ugly and the elements are too big, but the way it structures information is often superior - it's a lot easier to use tooltips to figure out what you're actually affecting.

CK2 UI never bothered me because at this point we've played it a lot (and I've also played other Pdox games), but once you get used to CK3 and someone puts out a scale/ratio mod, it's going to work fine.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
In any case the stacking tooltips are great, but that's the most positive thing I've heard about the game. Stacking tooltips are not even a Paradox innovation, though, so they don't get too much credit for that.
I like the CKIII's tooltips because it provides the necessary information given the situation. I learned a lot from my first eight hours yesterday.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I like the CKIII's tooltips because it provides the necessary information given the situation. I learned a lot from my first eight hours yesterday.
I think the first game I saw with those was At The Gates? Dude was a genius honestly. Stacking tooltips is trivial to implement and we could have had that shit 10 years ago.

mondblut

Arcane
Speaking of pause: did PDX, by any chance, finally discover the idea of hard, non-toggling pause key, or the game is still prone to ruin your campaign by plopping a game-pausing event at the instant when you are trying to press time-critical pause yourself?

The UI is really awful. Having all of those notifications compressed into one button at the top of the screen means you need to constantly need to check that button to see new things, rather than just have them appear on the screen. Mapmodes are missing for like 10 different things I want to see. The way the map interacts differently depending on what zoom you are on is frustrating. Entering lots of screens closes lots of other screens which is bad, e.g. if I am trying to see which pretender to the Byzantine throne is willing to marry I have to bring up the list of Byzantine claiments, then ask for a marriage, but asking for a marriage closes the claiment screen so if the answer is no then I have to go through several menus in order to check the next person in line. The "Find Character" doesn't let you filter to people without your religion, only people with your religion, which fucks you if you are looking for heretic vassals to demand conversion of (or wrong culture to tutor their children). You can't save pre-set filters like in CK2, which makes it annoying to constantly go back and forth between wive-searching and vassal-searching. The in-game encyclopedia is good though.

Everything aside from the custom religion system is pretty undeveloped. Religions themselves are kind of bullshit, the larger your religion is the lower your fervor which makes it generally impossible to convert, especially faced with high fervor religions. Instead you get constant heresy outbreaks. Creating a custom religion is simultaneously stupidly easy and hard. Hard because you have to have mountains of piety, meaning you basically need to be a very pious, charitable, honest, kind, etc christian for 50 years in order to have enough piety to reform into cannibalism and incestual debauchery and letting women run things. Easy because when you do convert literally every vassal who likes you also converts with you. Once you have lots of prestige and a long reign bonus (and you'll only get enough piety from living a long life, so you'll rack up ots of prestige), everyone loves you with 100 or more opinion. So then you make your new religion and the whole realm is still perfectly stable with no real issues except a peasant revolt or two. Ironically it made me more stable because higher fervor meant vassals weren't constantly creating their own heresies.

The tech system is... OK I guess. It kind of penalizes spreading your culture but you can spread your culture to other regions to unlock their specific tech. I'm kind of ambivalent. "Development" seems both really abstract and really weak, 100 dev only gives +50% tax/levies. My French has been spread a bit to Spain and Northern Europe

War is hilariously stupid. Your units can be raised anywhere in your realm instantly. So fight one month in Arabia and another month in England. Sieges are really fast now with seige equipment. Men at arms kind of has a problem where every demesne you have adds bonuses that make your units supersoldiers. Not sure what it will be like in the 1400s but in 1050 AD my archers are already super stronk. Its also impossible to only raise part of your army and very annoying to split them up.

Stress works decently early game but once you have money its basically meaningless since feasting/hunting tends to lower it a lot.

Last edited:

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Yep. CK3's UI is ugly and the elements are too big, but the way it structures information is often superior - it's a lot easier to use tooltips to figure out what you're actually affecting.

The scaling options do a lot imo. Still much better use of screen space than CK2 without mods.

The tech system is... OK I guess.

Anything beats the old technology system if we're honest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom