Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The PS5 and Xbox 2 thread - it's happening

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So you play mostly point and click adventures?

In other news PS5 teardown is live

Thats a BIG heatsink.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I usually cap the fps to 30 just to reduce power consumption. Who cares about 60+ fps in games that have no particular hyper-fast action? Instead I would like to see in modern games the possibility to cap directly the power consumption (or the gpu/cpu temperature, or the fan speed) in the graphics quality setting choices.

I've watched numerous tech videos about how the power consumption difference on something like a 2070 is $10 a year or something. If you're poor enough for that to matter, you're not playing AAA games anyway.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I usually cap the fps to 30 just to reduce power consumption. Who cares about 60+ fps in games that have no particular hyper-fast action? Instead I would like to see in modern games the possibility to cap directly the power consumption (or the gpu/cpu temperature, or the fan speed) in the graphics quality setting choices.

I've watched numerous tech videos about how the power consumption difference on something like a 2070 is $10 a year or something. If you're poor enough for that to matter, you're not playing AAA games anyway.
It is not only a matter of money, although $10 per year is a fairly optimistic estimate by an order of magnitude, at least where I live. It is also to keep a comfortable living space, quieter and without coal stoves around when they are not needed. Considering in particular that more often than not this obsession for more fps and 4k-8k graphics is only a kind of feticism/ASD, and many games really don't need it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It is not only a matter of money, although $10 per year is a fairly optimistic estimate by an order of magnitude, at least where I live. It is also to keep a comfortable living space, quieter and without coal stoves around when they are not needed. Considering in particular that more often than not this obsession for more fps and 4k-8k graphics is only a kind of feticism/ASD, and many games really don't need it.

I agree 4k is overkill, but not sure what that has to do with what we're discussing. Your original post was about being fine with 30fps, which is batshit. Either way... can't say I've ever had an issue with power draw or heat with my PCs. Maybe that's because I live in what's left of the kwan suburbs and have central air conditioning, I dunno, but #WesternPrivilege I guess.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
It applies to fps too. It depends on the game. I really don't need 60 or more fps in turn based games such as the recent XCOMs or 3D rpgs, like DOS2 or even BG3, or in adventure 3D games, where you move slowly and often you are looking at the same spot for minutes trying to solve a puzzle. Why I should care about 60 or more fps? Also in some low paced stealth games playing in 30 fps is perfectly fine, imo.

Interestlingly, my issue is more with non AAA games. While usually AAA games have higly optimized 3D graphics engines (and al lot of setting options, including fps caps), non AAA games normally uses less sophisticated engines that just brute force the usage of gpu/cpu even to render simpler graphics and have no setting options.

Furthermore you have to consider that there are people who use laptop for gaming, where power consumption and the heat production problem are obviously aggravated.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Smells poorfag reasoning or Gretas fellowship of virtue signalling.

When people do something they enjoy like drinking wine or some shit they usually skip the cheapest bottle. Your reasoning is like booking a vacation to some greek island with nice beaches and hoping it rains the whole week you're there.

Argument of "I enjoy games more when I cap em to 30 fps" when you could have better and smoother gameplay at 60 looks like a poor attempt of self-flagellation. First world problems and all.

In other news, my Kishi arrived. Got a 2 week code for Gamepass Ultimate for new accounts in the package, if someone wants to try it out, lemme know.

Quality is comparable to regular Xbone controller besides L2/R2 buttons that are bit squeaky. Compact pocket size, bit smaller than the xbone controller without the palm grips when closed. So far so good.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It applies to fps too. It depends on the game. I really don't need 60 or more fps in turn based games such as the recent XCOMs or 3D rpgs, like DOS2 or even BG3, or in adventure 3D games, where you move slowly and often you are looking at the same spot for minutes trying to solve a puzzle. Why I should care about 60 or more fps? Also in some low paced stealth games playing in 30 fps is perfectly fine, imo.

I mean if you're only talking about stuff like Civ or X-Com then okay I guess, but 30fps is far from okay for a shooter. Hell even 60fps for a shooter starts to feel sluggish and choppy once you get used to higher framerates like 120. Either way I don't see why you'd limit it to 30 for any rational reason, if it could do 60, unless you're in a very special circumstance outside the norm.

Gerrard

Arcane
Can you give me some example of a game that has graphics demanding enough for power consumption to be a concern and at the same time not having fast action?

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Do you guys even know the concept of trade-off? It's simple: in some games the benefits of having hyper-smooth graphics don't compensate the drawbacks.

For an example of what I am saying check the BG3 thread, where other people are speaking about overheating and capping the fps (I independently wrote my posts in this thread before looking at the other one).

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Once again, I made some good dealings on the stock market. Ordered a PS5, Cyberpunk (free PS5 update later) and Yakuza 7(Free PS5 update later). I'm eyeing Demon's Souls and Sackboy's Big Adventure. Even with shipping from the UK, the games are way cheaper than they would be in Sweden.

Didn't know Trump had an alt here.

Not sure what part of "successful with money" made you think of Trump, who is in massive debt.
"Massive debt" would mean he doesn't have a nickel to his name, which is wrong. He is actually still a self-made billionaire and not a single "news" report from the NYT will change that.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
"Massive debt" would mean he doesn't have a nickel to his name, which is wrong. He is actually still a self-made billionaire and not a single "news" report from the NYT will change that.

Self-made when his father was rich? Billionaire when he owes more than his assets? You can like Trump and his politics all you want, but denying facts to prop him up makes you look like his bitch. He's gamed the system well, good on him, but "successful with money?" Meh. I have much more respect for someone born into lower classes who built a plumbing business from nothing and got a hot wife and 5 bedroom house out of it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Self-made when his father was rich? Billionaire when he owes more than his assets? You can like Trump and his politics all you want, but denying facts to prop him up makes you look like his bitch. He's gamed the system well, good on him, but "successful with money?" Meh. I have much more respect for someone born into lower classes who built a plumbing business from nothing and got a hot wife and 5 bedroom house out of it.

And who cares about your respect?

Edit: I recognize that I went full retard but I'm so fucking sick of little bitches moaning about Trump's worth. Yeah, he got money from his father. He did not lose them all. He owns buildings all over the world. He is worth $2 billion. He gave $1 billion to his kids. That's a success story anywhere in the world.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
121047103_10164755981985160_1427141350293235427_n.png

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
4k (or "5k" in my case using nvidia DSR) is pretty noticeable on a monitor. Mostly because of the dramatically reduced aliasing, but also because it's crisper and textures look more defined. However on my 60" living room TV I barely see a difference between 4k and 1080p, I assume because of the much greater distance from the screen. Consoles seem to be really focused on it for marketing reasons, but I hope they consistently offer you guys 60fps modes at lower resolutions.

Even with movies and shows, HDR is the main benefit of my newer 4k TV, not the resolution.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The best time to upgrade to 4K is when your display dies and then whatever.
1080p is fine.

Fine is fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom