Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Are BG1 and BG2 too dated today?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
being obvious early 3D era pre-renders
How early do you guys think the last week of December 1998 was?
BG1 came out months after FO2. You'd think it released in 1991 with the way you guys are talking.

I mean, pre-rendered graphics were pretty decent in 1993...

Screenshot_realMyst_B.jpg

07_myst.jpg

myst-quest-5.jpg

In 1998, live action 3D was pretty decent already...

halflife1.jpg

8bf60a911130d9f5e4bfc41336e0ccd5.jpg

cogvgzpffo64zcnjonqy.png

quake1b.jpg

dump001png.png

maxresdefault.jpg

03.jpg

tumblr_p3hrk7yAip1r1jzomo1_1280.jpg

Not to mention pre-rendered 3d and 2d...

sddefault.jpg

jvenk9evxz7xzixevti0.jpg

2864607-3575360430-30366.jpg

2170608-ss_b_13.jpg

AoK.jpg

9a7d063b-9166-415c-ad0e-2d96dd239ec4.png

maxresdefault.jpg

4nitlmr0ioa51.png

544a6524-diablo2-patch-32b48.jpeg

Shadenuat

Arcane
so much fapping on muh TB and yet most of TB games we got either don't feature party at all or are just junk, due to 2 modern viruses either or together a) team initiative b) developers fear of RNG
in the end kingmaker with TB plays better than most of them

It should be a shitty RTS frankenstein instead.
heh, at this point one can consider that an upgrade. at least with RTS, due to it being less casual and more forgotten genre than RPG, you drop big chunk of casual crowd like those who can't aim their fireballs right.

but then why expect any tacticool combat from d&d anyway? especially modern one.

brainbreaking tactical combat is not the goal of those games, even if most of their systems is about combat. it's strategy/tactics (even more dead genres than RPGs which survive today cause of storyfaggotry carrying them) where one is supposed to look for good TB combat.
RPGs are about playing "your" way which most often translates into player having power and solving everything perfectly how they want.

razvedchiki

Erudite
only thing dated are the blurry sprites of the npcs. pillars character sprites would be an excellent addition to the game is someone managed to add them in.

sys0nar

Educated
Wait till a GOG sale, buy the game, give it a decent try, if you really can't get into it take a break and come back in a month.

Worse case scenario, you spend $10 on a game you don't like.

In the end, asking Codex if it's worth playing just causes arguments like this, no-one can tell you what you like.

if anything baldurs gate 3 is dated. Attack or skip a turn wow so much fun mucho triple AAA dumpster fire. The combat is about as brainlet and fun as early jrpg games where the only option is to attack or escape. Fuck divinity gate 3 bg1 and 2 need to be remastered on next gen graphic engine.
Yes, how dare the game actually adapt the rules as written. It should be a shitty RTS frankenstein instead.
You know this isn't true.

BG3's adaptation of the 5E ruleset is barely more faithful to tabletop D&D than the adaptations we saw in BG1 and BG2. Sacrifices always have to be made during interpretation of the ruleset, because CRPGs are very different beasts. Even Swen Vincke admitted as much.

Not to mention that typical Larian gimmicks (like sticking your sword into conventional fire to create a firesword) have nothing to do with D&D in the slightest.

Mortmal

Arcane
Dated ? of course not, they will always be fondly remembered as beamdogs masterpieces.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
being obvious early 3D era pre-renders
How early do you guys think the last week of December 1998 was?
BG1 came out months after FO2. You'd think it released in 1991 with the way you guys are talking.

I mean, pre-rendered graphics were pretty decent in 1993...

Screenshot_realMyst_B.jpg

07_myst.jpg

myst-quest-5.jpg

In 1998, live action 3D was pretty decent already...

halflife1.jpg

8bf60a911130d9f5e4bfc41336e0ccd5.jpg

cogvgzpffo64zcnjonqy.png

quake1b.jpg

dump001png.png

maxresdefault.jpg

03.jpg

tumblr_p3hrk7yAip1r1jzomo1_1280.jpg

Not to mention pre-rendered 3d and 2d...

sddefault.jpg

jvenk9evxz7xzixevti0.jpg

2864607-3575360430-30366.jpg

2170608-ss_b_13.jpg

AoK.jpg

9a7d063b-9166-415c-ad0e-2d96dd239ec4.png

maxresdefault.jpg

4nitlmr0ioa51.png

544a6524-diablo2-patch-32b48.jpeg
2d and sprite based pseudo-3d shooters > anything early 3d era.

zEq65Pb.jpg

CuxKO0Q.jpg

a2S0z4h.jpg

T9OG6m1.jpg

Mq5aPoC.gif

ZNj1R5u.gif

(also all the high resolution antialiased screenshots are disingenuous as they're not how the games were experienced and static screenshots don't tell how bad 3d looked in movement because 3d animation was so friggin' bad compared to what people were capable of with sprites. HL1 looked goofy and quake 1 was a slideshow)

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Your nostalgia is showing. Everybody was going crazy about true 3D games back then because they objectively look better than that (assuming you had a good graphics card to handle them).

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Your nostalgia is showing. Everybody was going crazy about true 3D games back then because they objectively look better than that (assuming you had a good graphics card to handle them).
NWN does not "objectively look better than" BG or IWD or Arcanum or other aesthetic games. Many such cases.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
NWN does not "objectively look better than" BG or IWD or Arcanum or other aesthetic games. Many such cases.

I genuinely like early 3D graphics but NWN just has terrible art direction.

NWN is a terrible game in every aspect other than being easily moddable, anyway, so no surprise there.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's the fuckers replaying those games on modern hardware that have rose tainted glasses, rather than I being nostalgic for 2d.
Quake 1 had choppy animations and it didn't matter which gpu you had because the game was animated at very, very few frames and if you see footage of q1 that looks smooth it's one of those modern forked engines doing motion interpolation.
Quake 2 had potential but the art direction was horrendous and the use of 3d for animating things like explosions was a complete joke.

My first GPU was a voodoo 2 and I was only really getting impressed with 3d graphics when Shenmue came out on Dreamcast. That game gave me the same vibe with the sort of environmental goodies too as Duke did for sprite shooters.
Most 3d games were pretty barren, static, badly animated messes. Or just outright ugly like NWN and its characters.

I'll take imaginative sprites anyday over the days of lowpoly oneblock looking hands and shit.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
It's the fuckers replaying those games on modern hardware that have rose tainted glasses, rather than I being nostalgic for 2d.

Nah I genuinely like old 3D. Tomb Raider looked atmospheric as fuck back in the day, and Thief on software renderer and with unfiltered textures looks even more eerie and surreal than on more modern settings.

Codex Year of the Donut

NWN is a terrible game in every aspect other than being easily moddable, anyway, so no surprise there.
NWN is :prosper: looking compared to titles from other big name studios of the time.

bec de corbin

Educated
Lol at Duke 3d being your example of a cool looking Build game instead of Blood, what a fuckin loser

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Nah I genuinely like old 3D. Tomb Raider looked atmospheric as fuck back in the day, and Thief on software renderer and with unfiltered textures looks even more eerie and surreal than on more modern settings.
Their sound design did a lot more for atmosphere than visuals IMHO. You just cited two games that were absolutely remarkable on that front.
Visuals wise, those games exemplify what I say about early 3d.. Thief isn't even able to show first person action that doesn't feel goofy : your blackjack attack looks utterly wonky.

Wunderbar

Arcane
There are a lot of ugly early 3d games, but I still find it fascinating, in a way. To see how much artists were squeezing out of blocky models, low res textures and limited geometry, how they were using limitations to their advantage, etc.

bec de corbin

Educated
the forum about old games being good has decided that old games are bad because they don't have fancy shaders, got it

The Jester

Cipher

NWN have some of the best music in the whole genre, it's Jeremy Soule at his finest.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The real question is has Jeremy Soule ever written bad music for a video game?

Gastrick

Cipher
Thread should have died a while ago since,
G A M E S D O N' T A G E
G A M E S D O N' T A G E
G A M E S D O N' T A G E
G A M E S D O N' T A G E
G A M E S D O N' T A G E
G A M E S D O N' T A G E
G A M E S D O N' T A G E

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom