Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Are BG1 and BG2 too dated today?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Rolling until you get your perfect stats was part of the BG experience.
It felt like you made an effort to create your character, a character you could also later take into BG2.
The effort of... clicking a single button without involving any thought at all until it shows high enough numbers?

This thread has taught me that some people have really awkward definitions of "fun" and "effort".

Jarmaro

Liturgist
It felt like you made an effort to create your character, a character you could also later take into BG2.

Yes, having a fixed stat point pool is more balanced, but also way more boring. That autistic desire for balance ruined PoE.
If you have everyone trying to game the system and min-max the rolls, then the characters are either more powerful than the developers intended or the gamed balance is the default one, leaving everyone not in the know at disadvantage. To me it sounds like people want to feel strong without using cheats.

I'm sorry, but saying that mindlessly clicking Roll during character creation makes one 'feel that he'd made an effort' is the single most retarded RPG take I've heard in my entire fucking life. You didn't make any effort, you were trying to game the system before the game even begun just to feel powerful and effortlessly crush the game's challenges. You turned an RPG experience into a shallow power fantasy.

Tyrr

Liturgist
You didn't make any effort, you were trying to game the system before the game even begun just to feel powerful and effortlessly crush the game's challenges. You turned an RPG experience into a shallow power fantasy.
It looks like the fun police arrived.
Who are you to decide what the right "RPG experience" is? Gaming the system way always part of CRPGs.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
If you have everyone trying to game the system and min-max the rolls, then the characters are either more powerful than the developers intended or the gamed balance is the default one, leaving everyone not in the know at disadvantage.
Oh noez, teh balance!! The difficulty of IE games is good, fun and varied. Having 18/32 or even, god forbid, 17 vs 19 str won't ruin it for you in the slightest. Remember you are talking about games where you can launch your stats to stratosphere regardless of their initial value. It's a moot discussion in the given context.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Baldur's gate is murderhobo powertrip. It's quite decent at this, but you're not gonna find something else. If you want a balanced tactical challenge, go play tactical game, they have been quite a few good release those last year.

I mean this is a bait thread but I want to say smth on the topic of "dated games" in general:

I really hate it when ppl talk about how games have aged badly. They haven't! ppl just got used to quality of life stuff. The game that was great in 1989 is still great today if you let yourself immerse into it. I mean seriously I played so many games that are older than I am and loved the fuck out of them, anyone saying a game is dated is a decline enabler. Just adapt to the older game and learn to enjoy it.

Books aren't dated just because the language and narrative style changed, movies aren't dated just because they are in black and white and without sound and games aren't dated just because they have only a few colors or a dungeon wall tapestry for a forest texture.

And now everyone should go and play wizardry VI you faggots lol :positive:
That's what "aged badly" means in the context of games. It literally means due to changes in the meantime, it has flaws in retrospect. Nobody means the game literally got old and incontinent and needs adult diapers now.

For example, goldeneye for N64 has aged badly. Not due to the potato graphics, but because the control scheme is so different from what has become the standard, and the current standard FPS control scheme is objectively better. It's still a good game but it'll take effort to get past that hurdle, and the existence of that hurdle is why it has aged badly.

Harthwain

Magister
Getting PERFECT stats took effort? I say it'd take more effort to roll with whatever you got instead. You know, the not-perfect character?

It looks like the fun police arrived.
Who are you to decide what the right "RPG experience" is? Gaming the system way always part of CRPGs.
The problem isn't that some people think gaming the system is the way to go. Play however you want, especially in a singleplayer-oriented game. The problem is that your statement doesn't make sense to begin with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom