Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
"You cannot sell a bless spell to people. It's boring. They don't care - they want to see fireworks, they want to see damage."
Or maybe it's because they intentionally made it shit by littering the floor with ground effects forcing you to roll a concentration check every time you do something
Oh God, what does it say about me that Bless is one of my favorite spells in this game?

Swen why do you think I am boring?

Sven isn’t paid to think.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Played the newest version for a few hours and it already feels like a much more poished game espacially the improvements during the cutscenes, Ai, performanc, lightning are noticeable.
The companions got some additional lines which mames them seem more helpfull.
The DC checks rebalance is good imo, some checks became harder while others easier overall skill profecencies matter more.

Will definetly continue playing this version to see how much has changed.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Played the newest version for a few hours and it already feels like a much more poished game espacially the improvements during the cutscenes, Ai, performanc, lightning are noticeable.
The companions got some additional lines which mames them seem more helpfull.
The DC checks rebalance is good imo, some checks became harder while others easier overall skill profecencies matter more.

Will definetly continue playing this version to see how much has changed.
Have the companion quest related interactions at the camp been changed? Do most of them still only trigger if you start using the tadpole every rest?

Sarathiour

Cipher
Melf doesn't give a fuck. Kangaxx goes into hit animation, gets stunlocked, and goes down like a chump.

To clarify myself, i was thinking about melf's acid arrow and i honestly don't know why, i even remember trying using melf meteor on my first encounter against kazzak ( that was quite few years ago). Also, i could check, but doesn't fire shield make it immune to the meteor ? It's been some time, i might been wrong on that.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So who are the neckbeards here who made these videos?

13:15 - "I am like all the way in this game right now, i still have characters that have 9 health"

How can someone without mental disabilities miss the level up icon? Isn't a shining "plus" sign on the top of your character portrait the universal sign for "hey, you can level up now"?

This guy has played both Divinity: Original Sin games, where you get a shining golden arrow on top of your character portrait when you can level up. How dumb do you have to be to not be able to draw a comparison between the two games? Hell, why would you post a 30-minutes rant on YouTube without first googling "Baldur's Gate 3 how to level up"? What a dimwit.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
So who are the neckbeards here who made these videos?

13:15 - "I am like all the way in this game right now, i still have characters that have 9 health"

How can someone without mental disabilities miss the level up icon? Isn't a shining "plus" sign on the top of your character portrait the universal sign for "hey, you can level up now"?

This guy has played both Divinity: Original Sin games, where you get a shining golden arrow on top of your character portrait when you can level up. How dumb do you have to be to not be able to draw a comparison between the two games? Hell, why would you post a 30-minutes rant on YouTube without first googling "Baldur's Gate 3 how to level up"? What a dimwit.

He's probably Bulgarian.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
He is right by the wrong reasons. Problems with BG3 :

• - Low level Dungeons & Kobolds in gameplay but epic "escape a mindlayer spacejammer ship and go explore the underdark on ch1 " campaign on the story
  • - No romanceable succubus companion like Arueshalae nor romanceable elf companions like Aerie.
  • - 5e ruleset.
  • - DOS2 UI in a game that uses Vancian magical system and the UI just doesn't work.
  • - HP bloat

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
He is right by the wrong reasons. Problems with BG3 :

• - Low level Dungeons & Kobolds in gameplay but epic "escape a mindlayer spacejammer ship and go explore the underdark on ch1 " campaign on the story
  • - No romanceable succubus companion like Arueshalae nor romanceable elf companions like Aerie.
  • - 5e ruleset.
  • - DOS2 UI in a game that uses Vancian magical system and the UI just doesn't work.
  • - HP bloat

• - Larian

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
DOS2 UI in a game that uses Vancian magical system and the UI just doesn't work.
What does this even mean? What part of the UI doesn't mesh well with the Vancian system? They already addressed the need for a simpler way to upcast your spells without overcrowding your hotbar, so that's probably going to get fixed.

No romanceable succubus companion like Arueshalae nor romanceable elf companions like Aerie.
In what world is this a flaw?

Do you really want MORE romances in your RPGs?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
At lv 4, my UI was fullfield of spells. And some times I wasted higher level spell slots when I wanted to cast a lower level one. Solasta did a much better UI for the 5e magical system.
They already addressed the hotbar clutter in their last update, now you should be able to only add the base version of a spell to the hotbar, and then upcast it through a separate UI element.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
- HP bloat

Idk if this was discussed already, since I do not feel like combing back the thread right now. But BG 3 raises the HP and simultanously lowers the AC of the enemies, keeping their overall survivability at exactly the same spot. Every encounter I had ended in the golden three turns that such an encounter should take.

Instead of using the baseline accuracy from the tabletop game of 55-60% you usually have an accuracy of 75%+ but your damage is much lower, since Larian thinks missing is "unfun".

What it does is heavily buff attack roll dependent skills and heavily nerf saving throw dependant attacks, since enemy saves have not really been adjusted to their much lower AC. Strange point, but not really a dealreaker.
Might become problematic if they implement higher difficulties that amp up Hp further and amp up Ac aswell, and fights really get grindy.

Lambach

Arcane
But BG 3 raises the HP and simultanously lowers the AC of the enemies, keeping their overall survivability at exactly the same spot.

Not exactly, it keeps survivability at roughly the same against martial types, but this is a direct nerf for caster types, specially if you rely on damage spells. Haven't played this yet, but high HP enemies + low level campaign + (relatively) limited resting sounds like this is not gonna be a fun time for casters at all.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
But BG 3 raises the HP and simultanously lowers the AC of the enemies, keeping their overall survivability at exactly the same spot.

Not exactly, it keeps survivability at roughly the same against martial types, but this is a direct nerf for caster types, specially if you rely on damage spells. Haven't played this yet, but high HP enemies + low level campaign + (relatively) limited resting sounds like this is not gonna be a fun time for casters at all.

Resting isn't really limited in the current built, as taking a lot of long rests incurs no realistic penalty. It will move some quest counters forward later in the game presumably, but that's it.
5e has attack roll based cantrips with high damage, like the Firebolt rolling with Int+prof to hit against AC for 1d10 damage for every 5 levels your character has (roughly).

Casters do not become weaker than martials in BG 3 imo, they will still retain their throne as the god class. But for the casters the saving throw related spells become really bad. Hold Person is very strong on a table, in BG3 I barely ever cast it. Scorching Ray and Guiding Bolt are ridiculous with the low AC all around.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
, keeping their overall survivability at exactly the same spot.

For MELEE characters.

It also ruined iconic low level spells like sleep and color spray

missing is "unfun".

Having a Warlock who escaped a spelljammer mindflayer ship and aventured into the underdark unable to OHkill a goblin child with eldritch blast is "unfun" IMO.

but this is a direct nerf for caster types, specially if you rely on damage spells.

As I've said, one change on AC/HP value would lead to a chain reaction of changes.

Larian could for eg, made the hp bloat, AC nerf optional or even homebrewed a rule that after missing, your nex attack has +5 to hit and explain it by some form of mindflayer magic. That way, missing 4 times in a row is mathematically impossible. With 75% to hit, you have 0 chances of missing twice in a row.

That rule alteration would lead to far less chain reaction of changes.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron

In 5E casters have many options that target the enemy's AC instead of his saves, so it's not like that's a 100% nerf. But yeah, their direct damage spells that target saves got nerfed badly.

And, honestly, there was no reason at all for Larian to go down this route. In 5E you miss some rolls, but absolutely not enough times to actually become a problem for normies.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In 5E casters have many options that target the enemy's AC instead of his saves, so it's not like that's a 100% nerf. But yeah, their direct damage spells that target saves got nerfed badly.

There are no reason to pick GOO WLK over the Fiend exactly due it. Spells that target AC are much better.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
It also ruined iconic low level spells like sleep
5e sleep has no save afaik, I think BG3 gives them one at the end of each turn or something, but it is still really good. Heavily utilised it on my run in the swamp area specifically. Spell went from super op to balanced option

color spray
Yeah that got fucked. 5e color spray is mediocre in the first place, now it is worthless if you do not get it from an item that let's you cast it for free. Shame.

And, honestly, there was no reason at all to take this route. In 5E you miss some rolls, but absolutely not enough times to actually become a problem for normies.
I actually think this will positively impact their sales, normies HATE missing. NuXcom has accuracy usually in the 70-80s, fudged to effectively 80-90% and still people cry you miss too often for them.

Kind of a shame, I am not a big fan of the change and it hurts the game a little. But as I said, it is not a dealbreaker for me, and they are unlikely to reverse it as it is a lot of work to please very few customers.

Now what I fucking hope they change is that not always the best party member rolls for success. Kind of disappointed this is not already in the first big patch, but reworking the DOS engine that only checks the skills of a single characer is a lot of work. That could however legitimately be a dealbreaker, DnD is about the party and only one character rolling checks for dialogue is cancer.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The one thing I hope for is that Larian doesn't fuck the rules up so badly that it's impossible to create a mod that implements pure 5E rules without breaking the game.

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed in the BG3 rules implementation. A lot of the rules changes in BG3 have nothing to do with making the game normie-friendly, they're just plain mistakes. The whole game suggests that the designers don't have much experience actually playing D&D, they've just read the books and are trying to implement rules without actually understanding them. The contrast to Solasta is extreme, that's a game made by D&D fans for D&D fans.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I haven't seen an HP bloated mob in BG3 yet. What I have seen is that most mobs use the higher HP values. They usually provide a dice roll to determine how much hp a mob should have, and an average you can use if you don't want to roll or think about it too much.

vazha

Arcane
Companions being negative to PC... needs fixed? Whole new level of snowflakery right there.

jackofshadows

Magister
It's not like they were obligatory party members, the whole point was just to test evil ones first but the outcome baffles me. I liked their edginess actually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom