Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fluent plays Enderal

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Because it is just more Skyrim which is super shit. It is story fag focused, terrible combat, terrible spells, terrible AI, boring quests, boring world.

Deleted Member 16721

Enderal is super shit. Nehrim is better and even that is pretty meh. ToEE is great but I think Pathfinder more or less makes it obsolete. Have you played Icewind Dale 1 and 2?

I've played and completed IWD 1, haven't played 2. For ToEE I wanted to run Keep on the Borderlands as something different. I still feel that system has something to offer in a turn-based game.

Because it is just more Skyrim which is super shit. It is story fag focused, terrible combat, terrible spells, terrible AI, boring quests, boring world.

I'm going to have to hard disagree on this. The world is not boring it's actually pretty interesting, with interesting quests too. Yes it's similar to Skyrim but Enderal has a nice world to explore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted Member 16721

Exploring is boring if you can't enjoy killing shit. May as well go for a walk.

It's fun enough killing things, or even letting my apparition kill things. It doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment of the game, it's got a good story and immersive, interesting world to explore.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Everything is fun enough if your standards are low enough! I am playing Fall of the Dungeon Guardians, game made by one guy and it reminds me just how far from acceptable shit like Skyrim is.

roll-a-die

Magister
It wouldn't say it's worse than Skyrim.

Gameplay design wise, it's better. The combat flows better. The weapons are better balanced. The systems all feel more considered than Skyrim's especially with the later expansion.

Story and narrative, it's different, but probably on the same scale of bad. It's basically a story on the tier of one of the first 2 Mass Effect games.

Writing wise, barring a few translation errors(Blind Passenger is the one that typically stands out because it's one of the first lines in the game. German is a rough language to translate though. They did good, but not incredibly good.) The writing is a bit above Skyrim's level. But not a HUEG improvement. Voice acting though, especially in the English version, is a lot more distinct and feels a lot better directed. Though they did do a few cheap tricks to avoid tough retakes. Like looping the same clip during the intro dream.

Visually, it's modded skyrim, so it's a pretty decent improvement over basic Skyrim. Design in question though, it is consistent, clean, effective, and the clutter that you see at least in areas early on, is a step above the typical Bethesda clutter.

World design it's a lot better than Skyrim. There's a lot of consideration into how the game flows. And in that regard it's world is similar to New Vegas in design. Or a lower tier Gothic game. With natural barricades. And level ranges to each area.

Quest design, it works a bit better. The quests on average are on the scale of mid end Skyrim quests. With only a few blatant fetch quests. And only a few narrative wonders. If anything this is where the design flags. As it lacks until the end game the flair that Skyrim had from the very beginning. But that could be intentional.

If you play these games for the stories, then you're gonna be disappointed because if there is an improvement it's basically just in the level of writing rather than any improvement of concept, theme, or logos. If you play them for the world or design, that's where the improvement is. It feels a lot better, it plays a lot better. Everything flows well.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I seem to remember linear progression and bland, uninspired, linear character development. Not my cup of tea.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's basically the best thing you can get with the Skyrim engine.
Certainly not a perfect game, but if you liked Skyrim even a bit - everything in Enderal is better by varying degrees.

I got hundreds of hours out of Skyrim with the Requiem mod.
Enderal doesn't need a Requiem mod to make a playthrough enjoyable - though there are of course mods for it to make it better (especially make it more challenging).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Wasn't it like neat, fenced areas "here go level 5 heroes", "level 10 heroes this way"? Or am I mistaking it with another mod?

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn't it like neat, fenced areas "here go level 5 heroes", "level 10 heroes this way"? Or am I mistaking it with another mod?

You're confusing it with another game. From the very first second, the entire game world is open to you without any restrictions (apart from a few places that can only be visited during (main) quests).

Haplo might be thinking of Nehrim which IIRC had level ranges displayed on areas when you travelled.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

You're confusing it with another game. From the very first second, the entire game world is open to you without any restrictions (apart from a few places that can only be visited during (main) quests).

Haplo might be thinking of Nehrim which IIRC had level ranges displayed on areas when you travelled.

Right! That was Nehrim, sorry.

So this... Endreal... Is it worth playing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom