Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Assassin's Creed Origins - it's an RPG now

Falksi

Arcane
It's definitely an auto-pilot game, and in no way is it an RPG, not even an action-RPG. It's a simple, popamole open-world action game with a lot of dialogue.

But it's juts a ton of fun. The repetitive formula rarely actually gets repetitive to play because of how well the red-zone areas are designed, and it really feels like you're trecking across the land on a noble adventure. The loot system is still based on trash-loot, but because it fits so well with the econemy & crafting it helps keep looting enjoyable.

I've almost finished it now, and thoroughly enjoyed almost every minute of it. Yeah it needs a bit more work, in particuar a few more epic/boss battles, but I'll defo return to it.

Really interested to see how they've evolved the formula further for Odyssey. Definitely on the list to purchase.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Odyssey is carbon copy. But they added some flavour dialogue trees, ocassional choice and more fun protagonost with Kassandra. I enjoy both about the same.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Been playing this (Origins) and enjoying it somewhat, especially compared to Unity which had good mechanics (except for the gimped NPCs which can't climb or pursue you on rooftops) but lousy quest design. I like that there is some challenge to it and if you don't learn the basics of combat (rolling, parrying, special abilities, etc) you will perish. No, not a real RPG (no stats, no C&C, and so on and so on) but kind of fun anyway. I'm finding it the most difficult AC game so far with better quest design than Unity. Still doesn't compare to the superb AC II & Brotherhood though in fun factor but more challenging at least. Visually it's one of the best PC games I ever played so I forgive them (a little) that it runs like a dog on my system in large cities unless I lock framerates at 45 FPS on Ultra. Good as far as these open world things go. Definitely no Witcher 3 killer however... not even close, but something to do.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Playing this now and wow is it different. Honestly the thing that stands out most to me is the PC controls not being total shit. The mouse camera movement is smooth, archery aiming is excellent, the keybinds work well, it feels less clunky. I had my shit old controller plugged in and ready but I don't think I'll need it. A lot of the gameplay is the same as the old ones, but like the title says it added enough RPG style shit to make it more interesting. Also I can't deny the game being fucking gorgeous is nice too. Combat being more than just hitting parry for an instant kill is nice too.

Not a huge fan of these open world style checklist games, but since I rarely play them it feels way more fresh to me than it would for many others.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
Playing this now and wow is it different. Honestly the thing that stands out most to me is the PC controls not being total shit. The mouse camera movement is smooth, archery aiming is excellent, the keybinds work well, it feels less clunky. I had my shit old controller plugged in and ready but I don't think I'll need it. A lot of the gameplay is the same as the old ones, but like the title says it added enough RPG style shit to make it more interesting. Also I can't deny the game being fucking gorgeous is nice too. Combat being more than just hitting parry for an instant kill is nice too.

Not a huge fan of these open world style checklist games, but since I rarely play them it feels way more fresh to me than it would for many others.

Combat is better in this one than in Odyssey for sure.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I think Origins has better graffix than Odyssey, tbh, and will probably also end up being more aesthetically pleasing than Valhalla which just looks like the Witcha.

They did something right with the look of the sand and the deserts, and the pyramids in Origins, it just looks majestic, whereas Odyssey just looks cartoonish.

EDIT: Besides Origins, I think AC: Unity is also still jaw-dropping.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They did take their time and care with Origins. First AC game that's trying to be as true to history as is possible in AAA mainstream gaming.

Odyssey and Valhalla is just white people history so it's fine to stuff it full of dumb bullshit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'll tell ya aweigh the TAA in this ain't bad. Definitely much blurrier but not that bad. You can turn it off but I left it on. You should be proud of me.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
AC: Origins TAA was definitely a step up, becase the TAA in Unity/Syndicate is garbage. I actually play Unity with FXAA instead of TAA, believe it or not, as Unity's TAA looks terrible + halves your frame rate, a deadly combination.

Syndicate I can't remember what I used, probably FXAA as well, but I got bored of that shit game in less than 5 hours so it didn't really matter.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
They did take their time and care with Origins. First AC game that's trying to be as true to history as is possible in AAA mainstream gaming.

Odyssey and Valhalla is just white people history so it's fine to stuff it full of dumb bullshit.

Is it time for another Egyptians-weren't-black megathread? I don't have the energy for it, tbh. I'm willing to concede that Ubi devs did indeed care about the setting, and that everything besides the actual Egyptian people were done with care.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
I think Origins has better graffix than Odyssey, tbh, and will probably also end up being more aesthetically pleasing than Valhalla which just looks like the Witcha.

They did something right with the look of the sand and the deserts, and the pyramids in Origins, it just looks majestic, whereas Odyssey just looks cartoonish.

True, there are some regions along the Nile where the light is simply gorgeous. I spent most of the time walking in this game.

Good that I had found a mod to make toggle/untoggle the HUD.

Last edited:
After a decade of not playing AssCreed and upgrading my processor I decided to play Odyssey and it's complete, utter shit. Is this one any better?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Syndicate I can't remember what I used, probably FXAA as well, but I got bored of that shit game in less than 5 hours so it didn't really matter.

It's a shame because Victorian England is one of my favorite time periods, but I don't think I could ever play a "normal" Assassin's Creed again.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Sorry boomer grumps, but I'm enjoying this a fair amount. It's basically The Witcher 3 with stealth and worse writing, and stealth gets me rock hard. Not that the stealth is of amazing quality, but sneaking around a base taking fools out from behind is the kind of generic gameplay I can get into a groove and mindlessly enjoy, rather than whacky-whacky melee combat that does nothing for me. This is why I found Skyrim somewhat enjoyable, because I basically played it as Garret from Thief. You can do that here too, bow is pretty good. It's balanced around controller auto-aim though, so it's a bitch to hit moving targets with the mouse consistently. I mostly use it for stealth shots. So... basic but enjoyable stealth, very nice looking world with some cool tombs and stuff to go through. I'm sure it'll get boring and repetitive WAY before I reach the end, but it's enjoyable for what it is®.

It's weird how the game can look gorgeous one minute and kind of blah the next, though. Outdoor areas when traveling at moderate speed look amazing, but if you go fast and pay close attention the pop-in can be pretty despite ultra settings. The lighting is amazing outdoors and in fire-lit caves, but sometimes you walk into a temple or house and suddenly it looks like a PS2 game. Textures can look great or awful. It's really kind of odd how back and forth it can be.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Nobody cares but I finished the game. Updated thoughts are: the stealthy camp raiding and archery are fun, everything else is kinda blah, and the story turns to complete dogshit. Way too much content in it, most of it repetitive. No way I'm playing the DLC. 3 mehs out of 5.

kreight

This game is an example of how to falsify and rewrite history following the leftist agenda. Caesar is now considered a tyrant, power hungry mass murderer and a bad bad anti-democracy person. Killing him was a good deed.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
This forum needs to be cleaned out. There seem to be more pseudo-RPGs than actual CRPGs in here now.

What is an (actual) RPG?
thinking.png

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Wherein codex posters convince me to try yet another ubishit title

I have to say, once again, Ubisoft has incredibly talented gameworld designers and artists. They have consistently impressed me across a number of titles, the work they do in realizing worlds is nothing short of incredible IMO. But then the rest of the Ubisoft team go and piss all over their creations with thoughtless and uninspired gameplay that seems to come out of a paint by numbers kit they have at ubishit HQ.

This one is no better so far, but it is enjoyable for it's unique setting and gorgeous visuals. I find myself getting into it, albeit unimpressed with the gameplay that seems to be searching for an identity.

The story is simple yet compelling so far, although it is amazing how jarring and bad all the animus/modern day shit is. I get that this is the gimmick of the series, but seriously, it's just a distraction. Your first animus sequence is right after a major story beat, you wake up as some bitch you don't care about quipping with some other stupid bitch on comms, and then there's like this pregnant pause where the game is kind of nudging you to explore the site. I took one look at the laptop, which was filled with a lot of exposition and gay emails, shrugged and went back to animus. Who cares about this shit? I'm confident it would do NOTHING to the narrative to cut all that shit out of the game, and in fact it would probably be stronger for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom