Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition remaster trilogy

Codex Year of the Donut
You’re being unrealistic if you think that Ashley’s attitude would be an outlier and not the dominant view of Alliance grunts, or that other alien militaries don’t share the same distrust of humans.
good point, if anything humans aren't anti-xeno enough.
The first contact war should still be fresh in most people's minds. Humans are able to live to about 150 in mass effect, it only happened 26 years prior to the first game. Nearly every adult lived through the War of Turian Aggression, and children are (most likely) taught all about it in their classes.
Not to mention that the war ended with humans pushing the Turians back, something most other species -- especially ones pre-contact -- would be completely incapable of.

The day the war ended wouldn't be some minor holiday, it would be a species-wide July 4th equivalent.

Codex Year of the Donut
Are aliens edible? I have always wondered whether Turians taste like chicken or shellfish.
Turians and Quarians wouldn't be due to their reversed chemistry.
using in-universe science, of course. It's all just a bunch of bunk, whoever thought it up should have actually bothered asking a chemist.

purupuru

Learned
Are aliens edible? I have always wondered whether Turians taste like chicken or shellfish.
Turians and Quarians wouldn't be due to their reversed chemistry.
using in-universe science, of course. It's all just a bunch of bunk, whoever thought it up should have actually bothered asking a chemist.
I am aware that those two can't eat human food, guess it's reasonable their own body tissues are poisonous to human as well. But a Quarian should be able to eat a Turian, right? Is there any official lore on inter-species not-cannibalism?
Did some searching around and apparently Wrex and Javik mentioned eating Salarian liver in ME3. Not sure if they are joking though.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane
If only they were trolling, you innocent man.

It's got to be. By the simple law of averages, nobody can be 100% retarded 100% of the time. His "opinions" are artificially constructed in such a way that they're not only stupid, they are the absolute stupidest they can possibly be within the context of any given discussion, and it's all the time. If it were otherwise, he'd occasionally, accidently trip and fall into something that does not make the reader's brain commit sudoku at least once or twice.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
If only they were trolling, you innocent man.

It's got to be. By the simple law of averages, nobody can be 100% retarded 100% of the time. His "opinions" are artificially constructed in such a way that they're not only stupid, they are the absolute stupidest they can possibly be within the context of any given discussion, and it's all the time. If it were otherwise, he'd occasionally, accidently trip and fall into something that does not make the reader's brain commit sudoku at least once or twice.

They way he responds to so many comments saying what will irritate people the most is the tell. Also he might actually believe Ashley is a racist but no single person cares enough to argue about it for 10 pages over a week without an ulterior motive.

Semiurge

Cipher
I also pointed to multiple instances of irrational paranoia or casual species-based derogatory comments.

She's saying what most humans and aliens are only thinking. You too. That is, assuming that humans and aliens didn't selectively breed out xenophobic personality traits.

Keyboard Vomit

I agree with Lacrymas, all humans in Mass Effect are huge racists and Salarians are racist on a genetic level while the Vorcha and Krogans are diverse and progressive. Let's unpack this invisible knapsack some more actually and look at science fiction. Isn't it extremely racist how humans think that they are somehow entitled to the planet Earth? What exactly would be wrong with Krogans or Batarians becoming the majority on Earth for example? That's a common racist trope in science fiction. In War of the Worlds humanity was racist for not helping the aliens in leadership positions shatter the glass ceiling.

One of the most racist games of all time is actually Doom 2. Peaceful demonic people of color move to Earth and for no good reason at all the protagonist, doomguy, goes on a mass murder rampage because he's such a loser. The heart of racism is judging people by how they look and act without questioning your own biases. Who's to say demonic culture isn't as great as human culture for example? Why would it be a bad thing if red skinned guys with horns inhabited the cities instead of humans? Nobody can argue for that without resorting to demonphobia and racism.

Fantasy has the same problem. There was a great article on Wired about it: https://www.wired.com/story/dandd-must-grapple-with-the-racism-in-fantasy/
There is not just the problem with the assumption that orcs can't be as pretty as elves or as queer as dwarves, but there is this alt-right morality to it all. How often don't you encounter some dwarf character whose family and clan has been killed by goblins and he uses this as an excuse to be racist against goblins, as if they aren't all individual that has to be judged on an individual basis while taking how oppressed goblins are into account too. Like even if some fringe group of revolutionary goblins killed your uncle that doesn't mean you shouldn't support a goblin king in Moria, Gimli, you racist asshole.

To not get too off-topic I will circle back to Mass Effect. What I like about the game is that you can fix all these problems of racism by killing all the racist characters and species you meet. You can save the Rachni and Krogan and make them spread all over the galaxy, making it all diverse. Can you imagine an Earth with a Rachni president and mostly Rachni citizens living there? Or the Citadel with a diverse all female Krogan council that votes to get rid of all racist species from the galaxy? That's the sort of progressive galaxy my Shepard wanted to make and why I played the Mass Effect games. One day fantasy games will allow you to call out elf privilege and dwarf supremacists, let's hope Bioware have learnt not to make fantasy racist in their next Dragon Age game.

Semiurge

Cipher
One of the most racist games of all time is actually Doom 2. Peaceful demonic people of color move to Earth and for no good reason at all the protagonist, doomguy, goes on a mass murder rampage because he's such a loser. The heart of racism is judging people by how they look and act without questioning your own biases. Who's to say demonic culture isn't as great as human culture for example? Why would it be a bad thing if red skinned guys with horns inhabited the cities instead of humans? Nobody can argue for that without resorting to demonphobia and racism.

The class of demon that gets slaughtered the most - by a puppet of a fascist regime no less, has brown skin. I need not point out how problematic this is, I'm literally shaking here.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I am never trolling. The whole problem is you people are trying to find a way to justify what she is saying in specific cases, while her xenophobia is general. When you suspect everyone, like she does, it's only natural for someone, somewhere to slip up. That is what makes it xenophobia and not reasonable fears in context. She suspects them BECAUSE they are aliens, and not because they have different political interests. Then she tinges her opinions with random derogatory comments. I suspect some of you think irl racism is also justified and that's why you defend her, not because "she's right". I just don't understand how the differences between xenophobia and political interests aren't super clear to everyone. Political interests are specific, xenophobia is general.

Yes, she "gets better" in the end, but her arc is that she start seeing the "humanity" or sentience in other species and starts appreciating them as comrades and friends. She couldn't do that before due to her prejudices.

purupuru

Learned
Jellyfish salad is actually an common household dish in Southern China, pretty cheap too since you grow them in fishery. It's got a rather crisp texture to it, definitely not slimy or mushy as one might expect.

Tytus

Arcane
Jellyfish salad is actually an common household dish in Southern China, pretty cheap too since you grow them in fishery. It's got a rather crisp texture to it, definitely not slimy or mushy as one might expect.

To be fair, the Chinese would eat anything. They would eat a half rotten rat and call it a popular dish.

Padzi

Arbiter
950450d5a6cdf7724dfeaa1eb82601efa8805847.png

:lol:

wahrk

Learned
She suspects them BECAUSE they are aliens, and not because they have different political interests.

They have different political interests BECAUSE they are aliens and not humans. These two things are intrinsically linked. That’s the entire point of her human/dog conversation.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
She suspects them BECAUSE they are aliens, and not because they have different political interests.

They have different political interests BECAUSE they are aliens and not humans. These two things are intrinsically linked. That’s the entire point of her human/dog conversation.
That suggests different groups of humans don't have different (political) interests and are a hive mind, though.

purupuru

Learned

To be fair, the Chinese would eat anything. They would eat a half rotten rat and call it a popular dish.
c4sjB0d.jpg

It's pretty good though, simple but good. It's been a couple of years but I recall you could buy those at food stands in supermarkets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom