Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Squidhead

Educated
I've been playing Panzer Elite Action and it's not bad. Very arcadey and mindless with just an smidgeon of strategy involved. There's a German, Russian and American campaign but it looks like the devs stopped giving a shit around the third act because my Sherman tank controls like a fucking beach ball.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pokemon White Version 2 is done and dusted. The champion is defeated. I'll do some post game stuff, and then move on to something else. This is the second game in the series that I play. It's very easy, and there's lots to do. The perfect game for your kid, if they own a DS/3DS.

Astro's Playroom on PS5 is also beaten. It's more of a demo game. It took me two hours to beat, but I didn't go for 100% collectibles. This team could probably make a fun platforming game, once/if they get the chance to work one a full scale project. I still want a new Sly Raccoon game.

Last edited:

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Kingmaker. The game is ugly, clunky, unreadable, and terribly not fun. I'm having some fun though and I'm playing it, although in short sessions.

The game balance is shit, going off the very beaten path is suicide. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't think I am. I just killed the tree bear thing from the Oak Temple. On level 2 it's a terrible fight. I had to buy a ton of acid flasks to deal with him. Although there is a scroll of lightning behind him and I wonder if I could've sneaked behind the bear to get it and use it against him.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Started up ANOTHER three games.

I beat Bugsnax in around 10 hours. I could have kept going a few more hours to complete all the side stuff, but I felt what I had played was enough and decided to go for the ending. I guess this is a decent game if you're looking for something similar to Ape Escape.

The second game I started up is Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney on Nintendo Switch. It's been fun, but not super hard. The trilogy was on sale for cheap on Nintendo eshop, and I couldn't resist. I'm on my second court case. Met Miles Edgeworth. I do know that he gets his own game. I'll look into that one. If you like VNs, I'd recommend it from what I have played.

Third game is Dungeon Siege II. I never beat it, but I want to. Making this one playable was a pita. My mouse cursor wouldn't even register, despite the game booting up fine. Once I got that headache out of the way, it has been smooth sailing. The beginning was a bit rough. I'd have a companion die in most fights, but after a few levels, it has been as everyone says; the game is very easy.

Other than these three, I'm playing Yakuza: LaD, Wasteland 3 and Bravely Default II, with a splash of Football Manager 2020 here and there.

So far, 17 games beaten this year.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
2/28 Undermine 4/4 :5/5:
Undermine is probably my favorite twinstick roguelike, surpassing The Binding of Isaac. I've had little frustrations with previous titles, Enter the Gungeon repeats not only its rooms but the combat encounters as well. Undermine re-uses its rooms but it mixes up the encounters. The itemization is strong, never do I feel like I've been dealt a cheap hand and consider my current run a "welp, just get money and die run." The combat is fantastic, bolstered by great enemy design. The game has 4 biomes with unique enemies and a boss for each floor. The artstyle is great, very reminiscent of 2D Zelda. Movement is thankfully also on point. You have a jump button that serves as a dodge and that is also utilized during puzzle/trap rooms to great effect. Also, a nite quality of life feature, is a passive item that you get early on that allows you to sprint within cleared rooms. This mitigates the needs for a teleport feature that I was craving during the early hours and thought perhaps the devs dropped the ball here. In sum, I can't find anything really to complain about. I'm having a blast and I've never been truly frustrated or questioned a design decision.

TLDR: great presentation, great item progression (I estimate most will acquire most power-ups after a solid dozen hours), fantastic enemy design, great combat/movement mechanics (bolstered by itemization). A must-play for fans of the modern twinstick roguelikes, e.g. The Binding of Isaac, Enter the Gungeon.

(snip)

Undermine was fucking great, a friend recommended it to me and Children of Morta (haven't played that yet though) Undermine is not quite as good as BOI imo, but it's 1 upped on the 'this is zelda' 2d dungeon crawling that I apparently need in my life.
Most runs are very fair, though sometimes you will get fucked over with zero keys/bombs for like 5 floors for no reason at all, which can be gay.
Great game.

To contribute to the thread I'm playing a game that is a bees dick from being a idle game called Loop Hero.
Seriously, the game pretty much plays itself, you can't control the combat, you can place tiles, and equip your doll with better gear, but that's pretty much it.
Your strength comes from upgrading your town and unlocking more mcguffins in the modern tradtiion of 'roguelikes'.
Can't really recommend it, It's pretty grindy and I'm going to finish it mainly out of spite at this stage, most of my enjoyment has been swearing at a boss after beating it.
You might also think the graphical style gives you eye cancer as well.

NerevarineKing

Learned
I'm currently finishing up Wild Arms 2 after abandoning the first one. I feel like it has a decent difficulty balance and improved combat. The dungeons feel a bit better and the story is a lot more interesting. The game often gives you a choice between 2-4 places to go next, so the main quest isn't completely linear. There's also quite a bit of optional content in the game as well. The biggest problem with this game is the horrible translation. You can tell what's happening and understand all the characters, but it would have made the game so much better if they hadn't dropped the ball on this aspect. I'm not sure if I really like the search system, but I didn't feel like it negatively impacted my experience. I think the next game will be Phantasy Star, but we'll see how I feel later.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Halo Master Chief Collection campaigns on coop with a buddy.It's a good collection overall,from a technical standpoint it's good,especially considering how old some of these games are,the gameplay is ok,nothing spectacular although I guess it could be viewed as such from the point of console gamers where FPS where few and the good ones where even fewer.There are 6 games in the collection so the quality varies,I think i enjoyed Reach and 3 the most while 1 and 4 were the weakest.I spent only a couple of hours on multiplayer so I can't really comment on that but overall there is a lot of content in this.Recommended for a sale for the campaigns but you could probably get it a full price if you are interested in the multiplayer aspect too.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I've been playing an unhealthy dose of Battletech following with some play of Mechwarrior Online. I don't know what the fuck fascinates so much me about tweaking giant robots, it's an entirely infantile concept. I think it's quite funny that this whole thing is kept alive by bitter and constantly-complaining 40 years + guys with enormous beards that somehow never moved on from their favorite hobby all these years. There's something touching about it. Every game of MWO I'm greeted with some growling low-voice half-drunk guy that tells me to stay in formation ; it's pretty amusing. These guys have low energy, but it's constant, like a flowing stream. Makes you want to take a piss in it, but then it'd just flow away no doubt.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I've been playing an unhealthy dose of Battletech following with some play of Mechwarrior Online. I don't know what the fuck fascinates so much me about tweaking giant robots, it's an entirely infantile concept.
cvkcaw.jpg

Only $39.95 per tape!

$39.95 in 1985, adjusted for inflation, is equivalent to about $100 today.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I've been playing an unhealthy dose of Battletech following with some play of Mechwarrior Online. I don't know what the fuck fascinates so much me about tweaking giant robots, it's an entirely infantile concept.
cvkcaw.jpg
Only $39.95 per tape!

Mysterious unmanned Super-Dimensional Space Fortress which crashed into the Earth?? Fuck yeah, downloading now!

JDR13

Arcane
Is Macross the series that was shown in the US under the title of Robotech? I vaguely remember that. I probably thought it was awesome back then.

I assume that version is in Japanese?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Is Macross the series that was shown in the US under the title of Robotech? I vaguely remember that. I probably thought it was awesome back then.

I assume that version is in Japanese?

It was one of the three series that were combined to make Robotech,Macross was the first part/arc the Macross saga

I actually preffer the Robotech opening over the original

Caim

Arcane
cvkcaw.jpg

Only $39.95 per tape!

Remember: this is from the ancient times, when the first generation of weebs had to resort to shitty bootlegs, bad dubs, shoddy subs and low-quality VHS tapes smuggled across the ocean to get their fix. And their legacy endured: Mike Pondsmith made several anime-themed tabletop RPGs, Biggie Smalls invented the phrase "mo money mo e", and Robin Williams would down the line sneak an Evangelion reference into the movie One Hour Photo.

And yes, he does pronounce "Evangelion" in a really odd way.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
none of these openings is what I remember, song is different.
I remember I watched this when visited father, who lived in another town.
It was 94 I think +-1, there was Ace of Base at disco lol, and this Macross was on local TV, where they freely show any pirated movie.
Song was more rithmical, like - Ma-ma-ma-Macro one...

Momock

Augur
anti-gameplay features
I think the absolute opposite of this. For me it's almost like the good old arcade games where you are forced to continue so the action never stops (or a big sign tells you to GO! GO! GO!), and that's precisely (among other things, of course) why the game is so good. What the heck did you want to "explore" anyway? More (AAA) games should assume what they are, stop pushing retarded checklist features and go to the point like that.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I think the absolute opposite of this. For me it's almost like the good old arcade games where you are forced to continue so the action never stops (or a big sign tells you to GO! GO! GO!), and that's precisely (among other things, of course) why the game is so good. What the heck did you want to "explore" anyway? More (AAA) games should assume what they are, stop pushing retarded checklist features and go to the point like that.
The cutscenes are a constant nuisance that stop the action every step of the way. The number of cutscenes in the game must be higher than the number of gunfights. I just can't stand that crap, especially when it's so obviously done just to hide loading times when you move from one shoebox to another. Max Payne 1 & 2 were much more enjoyable in terms of pacing.

Self-Ejected

Shitty Kitty

Self-Ejected
UV run through Knee-Deep in the Dead going fairly smoothly, though the first ep of DOOM is pretty much training-wheels tier aside from a handful of nasty trap rooms.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've just finished Sam & Max: Hit the Road.

It's funny, the first and last time I played it was some 10 years ago and I didn't like it. I remember finding the puzzles obtuse and the story a drag in the long run (especially once the big foot party is found).

But apart from that I remembered next to nothing about it so I decided to give it a replay. Meanwhile this time I had fun from start to finish and I didn't need to consult a walkthrough even once - and this wasn't a case of puzzle memory either because, again, I couldn't remember squat about the puzzles. In fact, I felt that many of them were pretty logical/obvious (in a zany sort of way befitting the game's general convention), and the few times I got stuck, it was enough to either come back the next day or use everything with everything. The final part with the big foots still felt off, though, but it hardly even takes a lot of time to get through.

How odd.

Venser

Erudite
MK.png

Just got a MK Trilogy Arcade cabinet so I'm spending time destroying my friends and getting killed by the CPU.
It looks awesome but I have some issues with how it plays. The sticks are very loud and don't feel as responsive as they should. I have a hard time pulling off some moves that I could do on a keyboard with my eyes closed. I'm also worried about breaking them over time, they don't appear to be very sturdy. Already looking at some mods on youtube where they replaced them with something better.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Played through Yakuza Kiwami 2, the third in the series for me after Kiwami 1 and Yakuza 5.

Way easier than the prior games, it gives you more tools to manage enemy attacks and counters as well as a deeper inventory for health items. Kiwami 1 was more tactical with the different fighting styles, and Yakuza 5 just had nasty bosses with fewer counters for their bullshit. I did like the seamless world layout here where you could actually walk inside all the shops without loading screens.

Found the game pretty dull overall, the romance plotline with the female cop was cute but the whole invading koreans stuff was just tedious. The minigames also dragged to the point I never bothered finishing the clan battles, cabaret club, bouncer missions, or Majima storyline, and didn't suffer for it apparently as I had tons of cash and maxed out all my stats.

Not sure how many more of these brawler Yakuzas I can take, unsure to try 6, 3, or move on to the new turn-based one.

Venser

Erudite
Took my PS4 to friends house and we played Horizon Chase Turbo in 4 player split screen, what an awesome game. Any other recommendations for 4 player local multiplayer on a console?

Falksi

Arcane
MK.png

Just got a MK Trilogy Arcade cabinet so I'm spending time destroying my friends and getting killed by the CPU.
It looks awesome but I have some issues with how it plays. The sticks are very loud and don't feel as responsive as they should. I have a hard time pulling off some moves that I could do on a keyboard with my eyes closed. I'm also worried about breaking them over time, they don't appear to be very sturdy. Already looking at some mods on youtube where they replaced them with something better.

That's pretty much just arcade sticks in general IMO, and I always remember them being like that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom