Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I try Gothic,and it is really not my type of game

pazzpazz

Novice
First,I know it is a classic,and I know a lot of people like it,I don't want to talk shit to people's favorite game,but I just feel it is not a good game for me(not bad,just not good)

The combat is awful:
At first when I realize how the combat work ,I really think it is interesting,it feel like a clumsy dark soul.Then I finally realize the importance of level and attribute.It is almost impossible to fight a enemy "higher level" than you. As a RPG , you master the combat system not by full understand the game mechanism then develop a good strategy or build, but by grinding and be patient,that doesn't sound a selling point to me

the magic system is ok,the range combat is boring and the melee combat make my finger hurt(why you always need to press two key ?)

The pace of the game is too slow:
The map is not big,but the character's movement speed is really really slow.And the speed of opening the map,the speed of climb a ladder!!!!
feel like you need to spend 3 hour to enjoy 1 hour of content

And the other thing like story,lore,character,quest really didn't surprise me,consider this game publish in 2001 even earlier than morriwind and NW1 make it really a good game,but feel like it is not my cup of tea

Marat

Arcane
Wumao
It is almost impossible to fight a enemy "higher level" than you
There is literally a video of a guy killing a Shadowbeast with his fists. An experienced player can defeat most opponents easily with even very weak character by exploiting the combat system.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
As it was said many times, it's actually intended for the combat to feel clumsy and shitty at the beginning. Because the Nameless Hero is not a trained warrior and this is properly reflected during early combat by deliberately making it not very fluid nor responsive.

But as you level up, you'll unlock new moves and the combat becomes very responsive, although you still have to properly time your swings to chain the next move in the combo. If you just spam left click as in your averge Bethesda ARPG you're doing it wrong.

It truly is a :obviously: game not fit for the unwashed masses.

vibehunter

Learned
I had the same thoughts initially. But after giving it some time I was really impressed with the character progression system. I certainly prefer it to “gain a perk point every level and you suddenly know this cool new move.”

Yosharian

Arcane
Elex is the same, you play it for 30 mins and you think 'man this game is fucking shite'. Then you read on the Codex how it's actually great, try it again, and discover that it's actually pretty good.

Then 40 hours later you rediscover how fucking bad it is

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Elex is the same, you play it for 30 mins and you think 'man this game is fucking shite'. Then you read on the Codex how it's actually great, try it again, and discover that it's actually pretty good.

The first two parts I totally agree with. What made you feel like the "again bad" part?

Yosharian

Arcane

The first two parts I totally agree with. What made you feel like the "again bad" part?
Nah I'm only half-serious, it is a good game, I just got tired it after a while. Kooky NPCs, zany plot, and character progression that's just ... odd. I definitely had fun with it for a long time.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Nah I'm only half-serious, it is a good game, I just got tired it after a while. Kooky NPCs, zany plot, and character progression that's just ... odd. I definitely had fun with it for a long time.

Elex has the odd stats do nothing but unlock skills system, made even worse by the fact the tooltips claim they do.

Gothic 1 + 2 and Risen (at least the first title), had more of a constant progression thing going on.

The way combat skills work in Gothic 1 and 2, with making Nameless attack faster and more smoothly as they progress, is still one of my favourite implementations of a combat skill system. It really contrasts how awkward and untrained he is at the start of the games.

Ravielsk

Magister
Believe it or not that was my exact experience when I first played the game myself. I in fact restarted it several times over before I got the hang of it. Or more accurately before I printed out a walkthough and realized that I have been taking the wrong approach to the game.

Because you see Gothic is less an RPG and more a simulation. Its not about making builds or resolving quests "your way". Its about getting into the mindset of a convict woefully unprepared for the world he was tossed in. The developers made you intentionally a weak bitch at the start to make it clear you(or rather the nameless hero) are completely out of your element. You are not supposed to farm out levels to boost your stats. You are supposed to stay in the camps, do quests for them and slowly build your self out to be able to venture into the wild. You need to stop thinking like a "player" and start thinking like the nameless hero would.

I very much understand OPs frustration because I was no different. I needed to read a walkthough for the first chapter to realize this because even back in 2001 games that asked you to use more "common sense" than "video game logic" were rare.

On the subject of the sucky combat. For one its optimized for keyboard and mouse, second its a timing based combo system where you are supposed to time your swings from left to right on order to make combos. This gets easier and more efficient the further you level your weapons skill and its intentionally gimped at the start to again facilitate the sense than you suck.

Btw part of the balance issues might come from the fact that the game was supposed to support multiplayer of up to 4 or 5 players. It got scrapped but the enemy placement and stats were not adjusted. That is also why you see a lot of screenshots showing groups taking on enemies, they were made when the game still supported multiplayer.
20536.jpg
20533.jpg
20520.jpg
20524.jpg

Ladonna

Arcane
And the other thing like story,lore,character,quest really didn't surprise me,consider this game publish in 2001 even earlier than morriwind and NW1 make it really a good game,but feel like it is not my cup of tea

iu

welly321

Scholar
The awesome part of Gothic was the world. The idea of being trapped in this penal colony that had rival gangs and had to mine ore for the king was so cool. The fact that each gang had its own hideout/city and its own wants or needs was awesome. You can also choose to join one of the gangs.

The NPCs were VERY believable. They reacted if you walked inside there homes for example. They also treated you like you would expect a newcomer to be treated. The game world felt ALIVE....something that is sorely missing in modern RPGs.

Gothic 1 was truly ahead of its time.

Vladimuar

Savant
First,I know it is a classic,and I know a lot of people like it,I don't want to talk shit to people's favorite game,but I just feel it is not a good game for me(not bad,just not good)
I try women, and it is really not my type of sex. First,I know it is a classic,and I know a lot of people like it,I don't want to talk shit to people's favorite sex preference,but I just feel it is not a good sex for me(not bad,just not good).

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent

The combat is awful:
At first when I realize how the combat work ,I really think it is interesting,it feel like a clumsy dark soul.Then I finally realize the importance of level and attribute.It is almost impossible to fight a enemy "higher level" than you. As a RPG , you master the combat system not by full understand the game mechanism then develop a good strategy or build, but by grinding and be patient,that doesn't sound a selling point to me

the magic system is ok,the range combat is boring and the melee combat make my finger hurt(why you always need to press two key ?)

The pace of the game is too slow:
The map is not big,but the character's movement speed is really really slow.And the speed of opening the map,the speed of climb a ladder!!!!
feel like you need to spend 3 hour to enjoy 1 hour of content

You have shit opinions and questionable taste.

You'll fit right in.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom