Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds 2

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Game will be mediocre at best and forgotten about in 6 months, just like the first one.
Codex will discuss it endlessly.
Mediocre games get forgotten when there is good games to talk about.
No wonder all these threads about shit games get bumped constantly.

Reader

Scholar
while someone's output will certainly have a generally accepted "best" work, it doesn't make every other work they've made bad
for me Lacuna Coil never made a bad album
Now imagine that their sound record studio says "You guys are good but we cut your album here and here. Then here are Tori Amos and Justin Bieber, they are now part of your team and will write some of the texts...And actually could you please wear something nice like Justin here? Like baseball cap and hoody. Why so gloomy.."

Shitposter
will this one have pickle rick????
IQOqLhy.jpg

I FUCKIN LOVE PICKLE RICK

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Gradenmayer

Learned
I played Outer Worlds after Disco and the writing made me want to kill someone. Like, putting aside the dumbass quests with zero depth and absolutely uninteresting conflicts, cringy jokes which even the local troglodytes can outwit, lame companions where only one character got an actual sidequest- the game failed to write a readable flavor text.

When you read that shit you can appreciate the difference between an actual novelist working on the script and someone from Starbucks writing for below minimum wage without any formal education. Utter trash.

The only good part was salesman with moon hat.

Small budget stopped them from hiring an actual writer or something? Those are dirt cheap nowadays and still not even fucking midbudget RPGs can be bothered hiring one.

Slaver1

Savant
I played Outer Worlds after Disco and the writing made me want to kill someone. Like, putting aside the dumbass quests with zero depth and absolutely uninteresting conflicts, cringy jokes which even the local troglodytes can outwit, lame companions where only one character got an actual sidequest- the game failed to write a readable flavor text.

When you read that shit you can appreciate the difference between an actual novelist working on the script and someone from Starbucks writing for below minimum wage without any formal education. Utter trash.

The only good part was salesman with moon hat.

Small budget stopped them from hiring an actual writer or something? Those are dirt cheap nowadays and still not even fucking midbudget RPGs can be bothered hiring one.

Obsidian have a hive of neurotic Californian women who all think the same way doing the writing and they don't come cheap. It does offer them PR clout in clown world, though.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now imagine that their sound record studio says "You guys are good but we cut your album here and here. Then here are Tori Amos and Justin Bieber, they are now part of your team and will write some of the texts...And actually could you please wear something nice like Justin here? Like baseball cap and hoody. Why so gloomy.."

If that is what happened with TOW then at least there is hope for the future that Cain and Boyarsky can make something much better.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Please don't crop out evidence of the author of the doc. It's like lying. With pictures. There's no telling Tim Cain wrote this. It is a lie.

Althoughhhhhhh I guess Tim Cain would have had to approve the doc, but I didn't peg him for a writer, so I would be surprised if he wrote this.

Anyway, lies.

Chris Taylor wrote it, but as I said, this was for the middle management bros.

Brian was involved with the vision statement by reading it. I wrote the thing after talking with Tim and the rest of the team at a team meeting. I'm pretty sure all the leads had direct input into the vision doc. We had been having problems getting an approved vision statement, IIRC, and I wrote an off-beat one that got approved. The little blurbs in the FO3 post don't quite do it justice.

The mega-level of violence snippet is being taken slightly out of context. Here's the full text:

That vision statement was written with management, marketing and sales in mind. It was never intended to be released to the public, nor was it written at the end of the project -- things changed.

Shitposter
will this one have pickle rick????
IQOqLhy.jpg

Pickle Rick was one of the smartest episodes of that filthy series, you heathen

It made me want a pickle-shoulder laser powered by single-shot AA batteries. (Yes, just like the one I use on your Mom.)

LISTEN HERE MORTY YOU AND I BOTH KNOW A PICKLE SHOULDER LASER CANT BE POWERED BY SINGLE SHOT AA BATTERIES ITS INCONCEIVABLE INCOMPREHENSIBLE INCOMPATIBLE IMPOSSIBLE MORTY IMPOSSIBLE I SAY IF I HEAR ONE MORE LINE OF NONSENSE LIKE THIS FROM YOUR CUM STAINED MOUTH IM GONNA RAM MY PICKLE COCK SO FAR UP YOUR ASS IT'LL CREATE A QUANTUM BLACK LASER BEAM HOLE IN YOUR ASSHOLE THE GREATEST THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN SINCE THE BIG BANG MORTY BELIEVE ME
giphy.gif

if racist sexist mysoginistic chris avelloone happens to be reading this thread please accept this post as my job application for the outer worlds 2

Flying Dutchman

Learned
LISTEN HERE MORTY YOU AND I BOTH KNOW A PICKLE SHOULDER LASER CANT BE POWERED BY SINGLE SHOT AA BATTERIES ITS INCONCEIVABLE INCOMPREHENSIBLE INCOMPATIBLE IMPOSSIBLE MORTY IMPOSSIBLE I SAY IF I HEAR ONE MORE LINE OF NONSENSE LIKE THIS FROM YOUR CUM STAINED MOUTH IM GONNA RAM MY PICKLE COCK SO FAR UP YOUR ASS IT'LL CREATE A QUANTUM BLACK LASER BEAM HOLE IN YOUR ASSHOLE THE GREATEST THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN SINCE THE BIG BANG MORTY BELIEVE ME
giphy.gif

if racist sexist mysoginistic chris avelloone happens to be reading this thread please accept this post as my job application for the outer worlds 2

I can't even

jungl

Augur
first game was extremely forgettable bad borderlands clone. It probably still sold 100k something copies to warrant a sequel.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
The fact they even announced this game so soon means that no improvements of any kind have been made. It'll be just copied and pasted, from a gameplay mechanics and gameplay features perspective. Sad. Big names behind projects means nothing.

jackofshadows

Magister
It may turn out to be a much better game: first of all as a shooter, with more vast and interesting locations to explore, solid and not overly-exposed loot, equipment but as an RPG or get a good story with these writers? No fucking way.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The fact they even announced this game so soon means that no improvements of any kind have been made. It'll be just copied and pasted, from a gameplay mechanics and gameplay features perspective. Sad. Big names behind projects means nothing.

Outer Worlds was released in late 2019 and won't actually be out until late 2022 at the earliest. Three years is plenty of time for a same-engine sequel.

Delterius

Arcane

Outer Worlds was released in late 2019 and won't actually be out until late 2022 at the earliest. Three years is plenty of time for a same-engine sequel.
Plus, the fundamental problem with the Outer Worlds is lack of budget and content. A lot of people bought it thinking it would be a larger game, but they certainly didn't expect anything different from 'fallouty FPS with skill checks'. An ideal sequel would just keep all the current tech and create a larger, more interesting world that can stand up to F:NV.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom