Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds 2

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
why is tim cain even fucking with this. he should just make an indie isometric crpg with a small cabal of highly talented people since he has a wealth of knowledge from his education and his time at interplay

Gargaune

Magister
why is tim cain even fucking with this. he should just make an indie [...] with a small cabal of highly talented people

Underworld_Ascendant_cover.png

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last edited:

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
apparently this thursday microsoft is going to have another event and show off more footage of games coming soon like psychonauts 2 as well as "conversations with some of internal MS teams," obsidian included.

unsure if they will talk about this or other projects (perhaps they will mention avowed?) Infinitron

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I wish I could believe that they'd stick with the gag. A sequel that didn't take itself seriously and went all in on parodying big entertainment could be very much worth playing, in the vein of Blood Dragon.
I cannot imagine their sense of humor improving to such a degree out of nowhere.

Reader

Scholar
What do you mean?
Ken Rolston was credited as a lead designer for both Morrowind and Oblivion. Now his name is kinda forgotten but twenty years ago it was big. Oblivion turned out to be nothing compared to Morrowind to say the least. Rolston admitted later in an interview that his contribution was very small.

Same with TOW. Now i clearly understand what nu Obsidian is but i expected at least some degree of interesting characters like in VtMB, level architecture like in VtMB, maybe some unusual system..Nothing. The game is forgettable. Also it failed hard to establish the lore.

"Directors Boyarsky/Cain" is just PR move. Or they don't have an enthusiasm to work. TOW sucks and i don't see why TOW2 should be different.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Boyarksy and Tim should work on Arcanum 2 instead of this piece of junk. I would settle even for a remake of the original Arcanum.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ken Rolston was credited as a lead designer for both Morrowind and Oblivion. Now his name is kinda forgotten but twenty years ago it was big. Oblivion turned out to be nothing compared to Morrowind to say the least. Rolston admitted later in an interview that his contribution was very small.

I see. The only interview i remember about Rolston on Oblivion was that he thought voice acting was inferior to text-based dialog but that is what kids want these days (in 2006).

Reader

Scholar

I see. The only interview i remember about Rolston on Oblivion was that he thought voice acting was inferior to text-based dialog but that is what kids want these days (in 2006).
From here
https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news..._secrets_of_The_Elder_Scrolls_IV_Oblivion.php
With Oblivion, I made hardly any of the content myself, just a few scraps in the main quest and a couple of different quests. So my design was changed from a highly centrally controlled, centrally authored content to something which had as many different voices as possible.
Then he actually praises some work of his former colleagues but what can he do, critique them?
Surprisingly he's still working. Canadians behind Long Dark took him on board.
Maybe Boyarsky/Cain should go to canadians too?.. Outward guys seem perspective..
Boyarksy and Tim should work on Arcanum 2 instead of this piece of junk. I would settle even for a remake of the original Arcanum.
The thing with Arcanum is that it belongs to Bobby.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tim Cain may have had a relatively hands off role on The Outer Worlds after its initial conception, but Leonard Boyarsky was narrative lead and created characters like Vicar Max, etc. He seemed more invested in the game's development and was disappointed by how much content they had to cut. Remember, he left Blizzard specifically to make it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Tim Cain may have had a relatively hands off role on The Outer Worlds after its initial conception, but Leonard Boyarsky was narrative lead and created characters like Vicar Max, etc. He seemed more invested in the game's development and was disappointed by how much content they had to cut. Remember, he left Blizzard specifically to make it.

But content cutting is obviously not an excuse here. VtM:B was a diamond despite it flaws - so excuses work there, because you can say "yeah development was shit, there were a lot of problems, but look at the core of what we produced, it's exceptional."

That's why Outer Worlds is so damning. Everything from idea to writing to design to execution - everything is bland and uninspired. Bad ideas on bad ideas.

Especially the way the villain and the plot was crafted is really indicative that these guys aren't really very clever. It's the type of stock anticorp satire I thought was hilarious when I was 13-year-old.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom