Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Ahh don't care what genre is,it is great fun game with great real writing.

Yes. When I first finished the game I felt mislead since it was linear af. and not at all what I expected. In retrospective it is a fun, albeit overrated, game.
I don't think that it is overrated,it is unique mature story. Also don't think that it is linear,the start and the ending are the same for sure,but the journey is different. I would say it is very good realistic writing,and that alone is worth it since we don't get that shit anymore.
Very, very few games have writing so good that can make the entire experience completely different if you have or are currently going through some of the stuff portrayed in game. Wish we'd get more, but in the meanwhile Disco deserves its praise.
I personally don't care much about different thing,as long as the writing is good,i am happy. It told good story,let you experience your own washed up deadbeat cop life story and let you become a chad if you wanted to,or become a homeless drunk.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I personally don't care much about different thing,as long as the writing is good,i am happy. It told good story,let you experience your own washed up deadbeat cop life story and let you become a chad if you wanted to,or become a homeless drunk.
Or become the Cop of the Apocalypse.

INxK6ky.jpg

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Finally picked this up, I'm just starting day 2 now. Fuggg it actually is good. Not sure how much reactivity there actually is yet, but I like all the butt-ins from the different skills.

cosmicray

Savant
Since it's on sale now maybe I'll try it. What version/settings should I choose? There are different VO options in Final Cut. I've heard Classic isn't really original, right?

Latelistener

Arcane
It isn't original. I don't know why they didn't keep it though. Shouldn't take too much space.

However, I personally checked a few comparisons and decided that the new VO sounds a lot better and more professional. People who are butthurt about this probably don't know much about sound and recording. Baby duck syndrome may also be the case.

As for "Classic vs Psychological vs Full" it's really up to you. If you're playing alone you probably don't need a narrator, but again it's a personal preference.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Since it's on sale now maybe I'll try it. What version/settings should I choose? There are different VO options in Final Cut. I've heard Classic isn't really original, right?
Buy it for support of Disco Commies and then pirate the pre-director's cut version. The monocled choice.

Rieser

Scholar

If you dislike VO, do what AwesomeButton said. If you'd prefer VO (you degenerate) then simply get the Director's Cut and put it on full blast.

Finally picked this up, I'm just starting day 2 now. Fuggg it actually is good. Not sure how much reactivity there actually is yet, but I like all the butt-ins from the different skills.

There isn't any. Sadly, DE is very flawed because they went all in on the presentation and flubbed the "gameplay", given your choices hardly matter at all. Not worth a second playthrough.

0wca

Learned
The more I think about it, the more annoyed I am that the developers of a text-heavy near-great game that contained in-jokes about cut or additional content (the abandoned game studio + the Delta Logistics Company truck) devoted its resources to an inferior voice over rather than taking those extra steps to bring the game over the line. I understand that the game was ambitious in its conception, but only so much of that shows in the final product, which is short and lacks reactivity.

I have 34 hours in Disco Elysium across two playthroughs where I read everything I could and made my decisions as different as I could, only to find that nothing really changes. If not for that realization, I would consider it one of my favorite games. If this really is the "final cut," I am disappointed by that.

^^ This.

I have such a love-hate relationship with this game because of this. The choices mostly affect your character not the world around you, which does make it interesting, but kills the replayability for me, which I think is the staple of any great RPG.

That, and the fact that your entire body keeps commenting on stuff. While it was fun the first few times, I got really annoyed by it after a while. I don't give a fuck what my colon thinks about drinking this bottle of booze. You're a colon - go take a shit and stay out of my head.

Harthwain

Magister
I have such a love-hate relationship with this game because of this. The choices mostly affect your character not the world around you, which does make it interesting, but kills the replayability for me, which I think is the staple of any great RPG.
Truth to be told - this is the problem with all (or almost all) narrative-driven games: your choices are either illusory or very limited. And how many great RPGs are there that are not narrative-driven? Even heavily combat-oriented dungeon crawlers (such as Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate) are strictly tied to their narrative and you don't really have any say in what locations are available to you or what choices you have.

That, and the fact that your entire body keeps commenting on stuff. While it was fun the first few times, I got really annoyed by it after a while. I don't give a fuck what my colon thinks about drinking this bottle of booze. You're a colon - go take a shit and stay out of my head.
I think it's great, because it provides you with character-subjective feedback. After all, your are heavily influenced by your body. If you have an inclination towards drinking (because you have a high stat responsible for addictions), then it stands to reason you will be tempted (or forced) to drink booze when you find it. Take that away and suddenly you have to find a reason (both narrative- and gameplay-wise) for your character to want to use and abuse potentially harmful, addictive substances.

oscar

Arcane

That's a good point and something I liked. You can't change society or the world or the future. You change (or fail to change) Harry.

As I get older that's something I relate far more too. Finding peace, meaning and outgrowing your own demons and destructive impulses is ultimately the main concern of life not who becomes president or single-handedly reforming your own society.

0wca

Learned
Truth to be told - this is the problem with all (or almost all) narrative-driven games: your choices are either illusory or very limited. And how many great RPGs are there that are not narrative-driven? Even heavily combat-oriented dungeon crawlers (such as Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate) are strictly tied to their narrative and you don't really have any say in what locations are available to you or what choices you have.

The C&C of BG and ID was never a selling point of the series. And it's true that narrative-based RPGs are very beholden to the plot for the most part, which is why I think it should be the main focus of developers of such games, by trying to make the narrative more flexible.

I think it's great, because it provides you with character-subjective feedback. After all, your are heavily influenced by your body. If you have an inclination towards drinking (because you have a high stat responsible for addictions), then it stands to reason you will be tempted (or forced) to drink booze when you find it. Take that away and suddenly you have to find a reason (both narrative- and gameplay-wise) for your character to want to use and abuse potentially harmful, addictive substances.

Fair enough. I was just annoyed after a while because I spent a lot interaction with myself. It's definitely a more introverted RPG.

Harthwain

Magister
The C&C of BG and ID was never a selling point of the series.
True. It wasn't my intention to suggest that, which is why I called them "heavily combat-oriented dungeon crawlers". I mentioned them to point out that even such games are, as you put it yourself; "very beholden to the plot for the most part", even though "The C&C of BG and ID were never a selling point of the series".

And it's true that narrative-based RPGs are very beholden to the plot for the most part, which is why I think it should be the main focus of developers of such games, by trying to make the narrative more flexible.
Indeed. Keeping only the end and leaving the means to the player is how this should be done. That way the player can try and figure out how to accomplish his objective, without being forced into very specific, pre-determined routes. "Bring me item X" is the most basic example that comes to mind. The NPC shouldn't care about how you came by it, unless your reputation took a very serious hit in the process (you were seen committing a very serious crime. One that your task giver isn't willing to overlook. A murder, for example).

At this point the challenge lies in coming up with the system that accomodates such approach and generating tasks/quests for the player. If I recall Sui Generis was attempting to do something along these lines, but given how the developers of Sui Generis still didn't finish Exanima (the supposed prologue to Sui Generis) I am having my doubts about it ever seeing the light of day.

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
In case someone finds this useful. Here are the total number of checks for various Skills:

Empathy 805
Logic 701
Rhetoric 701
Inland Empire 584
Perception 479
Half Light 438
Conceptualization 430
Volition 412
Esprit de Corps 401
Electro-Chemistry 378
Encyclopedia 377
Suggestion 372
Reaction Speed 372
Authority 371
Drama 357
Composure 311
Shivers 278
Physical Instrument 252
Interfacing 243
Endurance 194
Pain Threshold 190
Visual Calculus 179
Savoir Faire 143
Hand-Eye Coordination 99

Last edited by a moderator:
In case someone finds this useful. Here are the total number of checks for various Skills:

Empathy 805
Logic 701
Rhetoric 701
Inland Empire 584
Perception 479
Half Light 438
Conceptualization 430
Volition 412
Esprit de Corps 401
Electro-Chemistry 378
Encyclopedia 377
Suggestion 372
Reaction Speed 372
Authority 371
Drama 357
Composure 311
Shivers 278
Physical Instrument 252
Interfacing 243
Endurance 194
Pain Threshold 190
Visual Calculus 179
Savoir Faire 143
Hand-Eye Coordination 99

Interesting, where's this list from?

KVVRR

Learned

Empathy 805
Logic 701
Rhetoric 701
Inland Empire 584
Perception 479
Half Light 438
Conceptualization 430
Volition 412
Esprit de Corps 401
Electro-Chemistry 378
Encyclopedia 377
Suggestion 372
Reaction Speed 372
Authority 371
Drama 357
Composure 311
Shivers 278
Physical Instrument 252
Interfacing 243
Endurance 194
Pain Threshold 190
Visual Calculus 179
Savoir Faire 143
Hand-Eye Coordination 99
No wonder people think the MOT stats are underdeveloped

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum

Empathy 805
Logic 701
Rhetoric 701
Inland Empire 584
Perception 479
Half Light 438
Conceptualization 430
Volition 412
Esprit de Corps 401
Electro-Chemistry 378
Encyclopedia 377
Suggestion 372
Reaction Speed 372
Authority 371
Drama 357
Composure 311
Shivers 278
Physical Instrument 252
Interfacing 243
Endurance 194
Pain Threshold 190
Visual Calculus 179
Savoir Faire 143
Hand-Eye Coordination 99

Interesting, where's this list from?

My autism. I counted them.

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum

Empathy 805
Logic 701
Rhetoric 701
Inland Empire 584
Perception 479
Half Light 438
Conceptualization 430
Volition 412
Esprit de Corps 401
Electro-Chemistry 378
Encyclopedia 377
Suggestion 372
Reaction Speed 372
Authority 371
Drama 357
Composure 311
Shivers 278
Physical Instrument 252
Interfacing 243
Endurance 194
Pain Threshold 190
Visual Calculus 179
Savoir Faire 143
Hand-Eye Coordination 99

It also confirms that Nationalism is underrepresented, since its Personality - Endurance - has much, much fewer checks than Empathy (Moderate) and Rhetoric (Communism).

KVVRR

Learned

Empathy 805
Logic 701
Rhetoric 701
Inland Empire 584
Perception 479
Half Light 438
Conceptualization 430
Volition 412
Esprit de Corps 401
Electro-Chemistry 378
Encyclopedia 377
Suggestion 372
Reaction Speed 372
Authority 371
Drama 357
Composure 311
Shivers 278
Physical Instrument 252
Interfacing 243
Endurance 194
Pain Threshold 190
Visual Calculus 179
Savoir Faire 143
Hand-Eye Coordination 99

It also confirms that Nationalism is underrepresented, since its Personality - Endurance - has much, much fewer checks than Empathy (Moderate) and Rhetoric (Communism).
Savoir Faire's supposed to be the ultra lib one right? And it's almost dead last in there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom