Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

vota DC

Augur
In case someone finds this useful. Here are the total number of checks for various Skills:

Empathy 805
Logic 701
Rhetoric 701
Inland Empire 584
Perception 479
Half Light 438
Conceptualization 430
Volition 412
Esprit de Corps 401
Electro-Chemistry 378
Encyclopedia 377
Suggestion 372
Reaction Speed 372
Authority 371
Drama 357
Composure 311
Shivers 278
Physical Instrument 252
Interfacing 243
Endurance 194
Pain Threshold 190
Visual Calculus 179
Savoir Faire 143
Hand-Eye Coordination 99
No wonder people think the MOT stats are underdeveloped

It also confirms that Nationalism is underrepresented, since its Personality - Endurance - has much, much fewer checks than Empathy (Moderate) and Rhetoric (Communism).

The endurance check to start inspecting the corpse isn't the same of the others endurance checks. Even more with Half Light you mostly get a couple of lines of comments and sometimes a useless but fun dialogue like when you insist telling that Garte is the murderer.

SmoothPimp

Educated
Stuck on two side quests, want to know if I screwed them up or not.

Get two signatures for Ervart

I took his quest, after a while I ended up in a fishing village. I went up to the washerwoman, she said that if I get a signature from Lilienne, she will sign it too. I got the signature from Lilienne, returned to the washerwoman, it turned out that she had trolled me all along and would not sign a shit. Skill Suggestion with a 17% chance failed, after which one of the skills hinted to me that I need to carefully examine the envelope in a secluded place. I looked at the zoning plan first in the shack near washerwoman, then in the hotel room, but nothing happened - just a textual description. Something else will eventually come up / can be done?

Help Soona with her project.

At the beginning of the game, I talked to the girl near the bookstore, she talked about the curse, then I've talked with her mother in the bookstore, she screamed that her daughter was talking nonsense and that's it. Then I approached the curtains, began to examine them, she immediately shouted not to touch them, I went through a dialogue with the Inland Empire and left the curtains alone. Then I took Soona's quest, went to check the main entrance of Doom Commercial Area, which was closed. Then I went to the bookstore - nothing new appeared in the dialogues with the owner, then I opened the curtains (the owner was hysterical), went into the room, there was a door with a check for Physical Instrument with 27% success cnahce.
If I haven't screwed up the quests yet (in the sense that there are options other than re-trying failed white checks), just say yes please without spoilers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's a difficult request to respond to (without spoilers) because I'm not sure whether you've locked yourself out of the other options or not.

KVVRR

Learned
Stuck on two side quests, want to know if I screwed them up or not.

Get two signatures for Ervart

I took his quest, after a while I ended up in a fishing village. I went up to the washerwoman, she said that if I get a signature from Lilienne, she will sign it too. I got the signature from Lilienne, returned to the washerwoman, it turned out that she had trolled me all along and would not sign a shit. Skill Suggestion with a 17% chance failed, after which one of the skills hinted to me that I need to carefully examine the envelope in a secluded place. I looked at the zoning plan first in the shack near washerwoman, then in the hotel room, but nothing happened - just a textual description. Something else will eventually come up / can be done?

Help Soona with her project.

At the beginning of the game, I talked to the girl near the bookstore, she talked about the curse, then I've talked with her mother in the bookstore, she screamed that her daughter was talking nonsense and that's it. Then I approached the curtains, began to examine them, she immediately shouted not to touch them, I went through a dialogue with the Inland Empire and left the curtains alone. Then I took Soona's quest, went to check the main entrance of Doom Commercial Area, which was closed. Then I went to the bookstore - nothing new appeared in the dialogues with the owner, then I opened the curtains (the owner was hysterical), went into the room, there was a door with a check for Physical Instrument with 27% success cnahce.
If I haven't screwed up the quests yet (in the sense that there are options other than re-trying failed white checks), just say yes please without spoilers.
Don't know about the first one (I've had it bugged before), no to the second one. You need to do the PI check. I think. Try talking to the shopkeeper about it.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Final Cut or original? I hate the narrators voice from what I've seen of the Final Cut but are there other reasons to get it

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Finished last night. Man, that was quite the game. I missed handful of the sidequests, but still ended up at around 36 hours. I assume it goes a lot faster if you're skipping the VO. My thoughts on the ending are a bit mixed

The sequence on the island is fantastic. The dream, the deserter, then the phasmid - that was out of left field but I loved it. The final sequence back at the fishing village was a bit anticlimactic after that. Everything wraps up a lot more neatly than I expected. The partner got over everything pretty easily, I was accepted back into the police force, and recruited Kim on as a new teammate. It seemed very uncharacteristically cheerful for this game. I figured Harry would be expelled from the police if not die horribly or finally lose his mind. Maybe different choices lead to less upbeat finales? I did like how all the characters give there opinions on your actions in the 'hearing', nice twist on the ending slideshow.

I'm also curious if you can miss the phasmid completely; it seems like there was a dicey perception check to spot it

Phenomenal game anyway. I'll play through it again some day as a drunken commie to see how different things turn out.

KVVRR

Learned
Finished last night. Man, that was quite the game. I missed handful of the sidequests, but still ended up at around 36 hours. I assume it goes a lot faster if you're skipping the VO. My thoughts on the ending are a bit mixed

The sequence on the island is fantastic. The dream, the deserter, then the phasmid - that was out of left field but I loved it. The final sequence back at the fishing village was a bit anticlimactic after that. Everything wraps up a lot more neatly than I expected. The partner got over everything pretty easily, I was accepted back into the police force, and recruited Kim on as a new teammate. It seemed very uncharacteristically cheerful for this game. I figured Harry would be expelled from the police if not die horribly or finally lose his mind. Maybe different choices lead to less upbeat finales? I did like how all the characters give there opinions on your actions in the 'hearing', nice twist on the ending slideshow.

I'm also curious if you can miss the phasmid completely; it seems like there was a dicey perception check to spot it

Phenomenal game anyway. I'll play through it again some day as a drunken commie to see how different things turn out.
spoilers about the endings
If you end up not going to the island with neither Kim nor the little gremlin, and have been taking drugs or alcohol, you'll have another ending where they don't take you in and just drive away after harry's tribunal. the final cut had it animated and everything too, with Harry slowly going up to his cabin and then throwing a bottle their way before the credits cut.

You can't really miss the phasmid, but you can fail taking a picture of it (if kim isn't with you) or even approaching it.

Final Cut or original? I hate the narrators voice from what I've seen of the Final Cut but are there other reasons to get it
I still don't like the narrator for the skills but I get why he's there, if they didn't put him in the game wouldn't nearly be as played by ecelebs and twitch streamers as it has been recently. Final cut is better, despite it's problems

Self-Ejected

Rusty Eyes

aka Auraculum
Just started playing, and already discovered something interesting. If you try to open the Ledger whilst inside a building, Shiver tells you to go outside - in a different voice than the "regular" narrator - a woman's voice, to be precise. This is, so far, the first confirmed example of a supernatural entity communicating with you directly, not through a "voice in your head" - since those all share the same voice. Well, that and the Horrible Necktie, who also has his own voice.

KVVRR

Learned
Just started playing, and already discovered something interesting. If you try to open the Ledger whilst inside a building, Shiver tells you to go outside - in a different voice than the "regular" narrator - a woman's voice, to be precise. This is, so far, the first confirmed example of a supernatural entity communicating with you directly, not through a "voice in your head" - since those all share the same voice. Well, that and the Horrible Necktie, who also has his own voice.
WHERE THE HOOD, WHERE THE HOOD, WHERE THE HOOD AT?

Cugel

Novice
The political quests kinda suck to be honest, are the main writers working on the studio's next game or something? Also, they promised 150,000 words worth of new content in the Final Cut. Maybe I'm missing a lot of stuff but there doesn't seem to be anywhere near that amount.

The big new thing is the voice acting though and that is generally good although there's a fair amount of lines that could have used a couple more takes.

KVVRR

Learned
The political quests kinda suck to be honest, are the main writers working on the studio's next game or something? Also, they promised 150,000 words worth of new content in the Final Cut. Maybe I'm missing a lot of stuff but there doesn't seem to be anywhere near that amount.

The big new thing is the voice acting though and that is generally good although there's a fair amount of lines that could have used a couple more takes.
The moralist and communist quests seem to be the best ones, moralist specially since it expands on the lore and actually lets you talk with the higher ups at the moralintern. Fascist's good for expanding Harry's character a bit more but not much else and ultralib seems to be completely be a joke more than anything else tbh, although helping Idiot Doom Spiral a bit is a nice detail

Yosharian

Arcane
Are there actual good builds for this game or is it just anything goes?

I was thinking 1 Intelligence high Psyche and moderately good Phys/Motorics dunno if that is a good idea or not

Red Hexapus

Savant
Are there actual good builds for this game or is it just anything goes?

I was thinking 1 Intelligence high Psyche and moderately good Phys/Motorics dunno if that is a good idea or not

It's "anything goes". Any build can finish the game, you'll just have a limited response/comments from your low level skills. There are some Thoughts and skills which are useful in any playthrough (e.g. I recommend investing at least a few points in Perception) but in general you do you. Use clothes to increase skills when you want to pass tests, but if you fail - just embrace the failure and go with the flow.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's anything goes, but there absolutely are good builds and powergaming. The Thought system is where that really comes into play. For example, you can set up builds that let you rack up more experience points based on your politics and other dialogue choices.

Red Hexapus

Savant
It's anything goes, but there absolutely are good builds and powergaming. The Thought system is where that really comes into play. For example, you can set up builds that let you rack up more experience points based on your politics and other dialogue choices.
True enough, with the foreknowledge of Thought Cabinet you can get to high levels of both cash and XP. However, for the first playthrough I would recommend playing the game as it unfolds without metagaming, it's more enjoyable this way.

Yosharian

Arcane
Yeah I'm not bothered about that kind of metagaming for my first playthrough. I'm just curious if there are any skills that come up a LOT more than other ones, or have more important checks associated with them.

Otherwise I'll just put points into whatever

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah I'm not bothered about that kind of metagaming for my first playthrough. I'm just curious if there are any skills that come up a LOT more than other ones, or have more important checks associated with them.

Otherwise I'll just put points into whatever
I'd say Perception, Shivers, and Inland Empire. But the game is more about choosing the subset of skills that sound more fun to you and following them while they repeatedly fuck you in the ass. To that extent, my favorite probably are Logic, Drama, and Suggestion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom