Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
oqAKI1.jpg

Gotta love the way the AI handles its lords...
What's wrong with that? He has fun with doomwheel.

Red Line is completely wasted.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I disagree that vortex campaign is no good. The most fun I actually had with TW titles was in Vortex campaigns. My last DE legendary one was real bonkers (beat it). The most fun part was when I in a desperate attempt sent a specop army inside the Ulthuan when HEs was like 6 turns away from finishing their last ritual. I outmaneuvered their 4 doomstacks successfully raising key city on the last turn and wreaked havoc all over their lands so they had to regroup and call back their armies from other directions consequently halting their advance. My specop unit was caught and slaughtered, but its sacrifice was not in vain. HE were not able to regain their economic power and soon after Ulthuan has been raised completely.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yes, you’re presented with a chance to stop them in battle, and knowing this battle and my capabilities at the time I can say I had no chance.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
My main problem with the vortex campaign is that it gets really dull when you have to fight 12 chaos/skaven armies back to back. I always play ME to avoid it, although I think vortex map is really nice.

Olinser

Savant
View attachment 19778

View attachment 19777
View attachment 19779

Vortex is fucking shit and annoying as fuck. But the final battle is 100% where CA got the idea for those multi-stage fights in Wawa3 from. They're probably gonna suck hard.

Literally every single quest battle is a multi-stage fight and they've been around since TWW1, so the ideal that Vortex is where they got the idea is frankly ridiculous. It's basically the only way to try and provide a meaningful challenge to player because normal reinforcements trickle in and are too easy to slaughter so they have to force large and balanced groups to spawn at the same time.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Fair enough, although quest battles usually only have one additional phase instead of 3.

Speaking of, the AI is terrible at fighting the vortex battle. It'll trickle in slowly instead of rushing you.

I don't think there's any battle that actually has any kind of special scripted AI. Just scripted reinforcement waves that either come based on time or based on routing/killing enough enemy units on the field. Always been kind of lazy.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I don't think there's any battle that actually has any kind of special scripted AI. Just scripted reinforcement waves that either come based on time or based on routing/killing enough enemy units on the field. Always been kind of lazy.
I think you are wrong. I remember a kroq'gar quest battle where the enemy has 2 or 3 lines of defences and they don't really move to defend eachother or group up together or anything. Admittedly that sort of thing does occasionally happen in regular battles with reinforcements, but it certainly felt scripted. I think the Imrik quest battle also has each of the three armies scripted to start advancing after a certain amount of time. It's very barebones scripting, but it is something.

Olinser

Savant
oqAKI1.jpg

Gotta love the way the AI handles its lords...

There's a mod that mostly fixes it. Also, there's a mod that returns points when you confederate.

Yeah that's one of the things that's always most annoyed me about confederation. AI lords have so many ridiculous wasted points that I throw 95% of them in the trash the same turn.

It's particularly bad with Legendary lords. If you don't get them by about level 10-15 then they're probably going to be too screwed up to use.

With Legendary lords you should get a 1 time respec when they join - or hell, just make them available to recruit at level 1, that would be acceptable too.

Mazisky

Magister
It seems like the next incoming free update will be the biggest ever, maybe to put an end to WH2 development cycle with fanfares

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-warhammer-3-discord-qa-archive/

Are there any changes or improvements made to the difficulty system?

Oscar: From a battle perspective, we’ve reduced the melee bonuses that the AI gets on Hard and Very Hard, as they were very punishing for melee units.

Probably realized that a melee-focused faction that is the cornerstone of WH3 being essentially unplayable wasn't a good idea. Definitely a good change, maybe even Cav can start being useful like in three kingdoms.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Definitely a good change, maybe even Cav can start being useful like in three kingdoms.
I kinda doubt I will use cavalry to any great extent as long as they have to be microed to do a new charge every 5s, especially with how frequently one of them gets stuck in the enemy ranks and mess up the entire troop and how hard it is to prevent this from happening.

playing warhammer for the...... startegy layer!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:
I have a friend has been doing this for years, I just can't understand WTF he is doing, and not just the WH Total War games but he started out doing it with the really old Total War games, like the first ones. He said he basically has never fought the battles, just likes the strategy layer...

I try and tell him there are other games that are actually designed to be strategy games..but he does not care..I totally don't get it.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
playing warhammer for the...... startegy layer!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:
I have a friend has been doing this for years, I just can't understand WTF he is doing, and not just the WH Total War games but he started out doing it with the really old Total War games, like the first ones. He said he basically has never fought the battles, just likes the strategy layer...

I try and tell him there are other games that are actually designed to be strategy games..but he does not care..I totally don't get it.
Just force him to play a real 4X game, it will blow his tiny mind.

Definitely a good change, maybe even Cav can start being useful like in three kingdoms.
I kinda doubt I will use cavalry to any great extent as long as they have to be microed to do a new charge every 5s, especially with how frequently one of them gets stuck in the enemy ranks and mess up the entire troop and how hard it is to prevent this from happening.

Cavalry works decently well in MP. I haven't really tried a cavalry-focused game in SP but in I tried a VH melee-focused game as Empire and managed to do quite well. It's more a problem of cavalry (and melee) not being good unless you build for it but you don't build for it because why would you build to make something bad good when you could make something good overpowered.

cavalry should trample and be stopped by lances, heavy cavalry should just rotflstomp everything (and chariots should just go around murdering random stuff). more than damage dealer, cavalry should cripple morale, or at least keep enough enemies on the ground to hamper their damage dealing.

zapotec

Liturgist
In my case the problem of cavarly is that get stuck easily:
Wwhen you order them to fall back sometime a part of the units just keep figthing while the rest of the knighst just crawl through the enemy units like they were in a sort of molasse

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom