Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What happened to Kalin

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
On a related note, despite what some users here apparently believe, we're not some illegal underground website that's going to go out of its way and risk itself if you're doing the wrong thing. Just because we have fairly lax moderation rules compared to some of those Nazi web forums out there doesn't mean we're going to bend over backwards to protect you because you did some dumb shit.

I'm not fucking taking on your Government on your behalf, and at our expense. We're a fucking RPG website. You use the service at your own risk. If you're not comfortable with that risk: click here. And if you're genuinely concerned about what you've posted here because of that, then you really need to reconsider whether you should be posting here.

So in the extremely unlikely scenario that some Eurofag government gets butthurt about GD, you're going to bend over backwards without a valid local warrant? Or what does this that you wrote actually entail?
What constitutes a valid local warrant? I assume you're a lawyer well versed in these matters so I look forward to your answer.

As an example, NZ police sent a request to Null (Kiwi Farms admin) as to provide user data following people sharing the Christchurch massacre video. Null is an American, not subject to NZ laws. He responded in a pretty distasteful and immature manner that nevertheless constituted flat-out refusal.

I'm talking about some idiotic EU laws like Polish charages of insult, insult of head of state, insult of religious feelings. This doesn't even enter the territory of people discussing gassing the kikes.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
and skin color is what makes someone a human or not
506BF316140150440D97401AB4AFBDAC0BB8DB45

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Occam's razor
Is retarded,people make plans,there are conspiracies and there is paranoid people. The whole thing is a stupid person trying to glorify its own stupidity. The simplest solution is right only when it is about simple things. When there is a predetermination and thought at hand,it is always not.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
If you start power tripping, you lose everyone's respect

ah shit, imagine that. imagine losing the respect of a bunch of people who use a videogame forum to post about how evolution isn't real, vaccines are poison and skin color is what makes someone a human or not. people who think they have forbidden knowledge and understand how reality REALLY works, not like those sheeple with actual lives and actual jobs and actual families.

yeah DU careful, you don't want to lose the respect of these fine specimen
You're the finest specimen on this forum.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
On a related note, despite what some users here apparently believe, we're not some illegal underground website that's going to go out of its way and risk itself if you're doing the wrong thing. Just because we have fairly lax moderation rules compared to some of those Nazi web forums out there doesn't mean we're going to bend over backwards to protect you because you did some dumb shit.

I'm not fucking taking on your Government on your behalf, and at our expense. We're a fucking RPG website. You use the service at your own risk. If you're not comfortable with that risk: click here. And if you're genuinely concerned about what you've posted here because of that, then you really need to reconsider whether you should be posting here.

So in the extremely unlikely scenario that some Eurofag government gets butthurt about GD, you're going to bend over backwards without a valid local warrant? Or what does this that you wrote actually entail?
What constitutes a valid local warrant? I assume you're a lawyer well versed in these matters so I look forward to your answer.

As an example, NZ police sent a request to Null (Kiwi Farms admin) as to provide user data following people sharing the Christchurch massacre video. Null is an American, not subject to NZ laws. He responded in a pretty distasteful and immature manner that nevertheless constituted flat-out refusal.

I'm talking about some idiotic EU laws like Polish charages of insult, insult of head of state, insult of religious feelings. This doesn't even enter the territory of people discussing gassing the kikes.

From talking with DU over PM i get the impression he doesn't care. He will give your data without a second thought. I know i will not support this website again because the free speech here is illusion, if a jurisdiction of any country can ask the admin for user data and he will willfully oblige.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member

If Null is an Amerikwan, and his website is in Amerikwa, then NZ authorities aren't "local" authorities to him, despite the Kiwi Farms name. That would be like calling the Ethiopian Police local authorities if they contact me about.. some of our Ethiopian users.

I take local to mean Australian. As in local Australian Police either walk into my office, or send me a letter. As an Australian, I'd be inclined to comply with Australian law. I'm less inclined to comply with the law of other countries, although I'm likely to seek professional legal advice at the point that happens. It also depends on what "it" is. And how much troll potential it has. Any law enforcement agency reading this should read this as sarcasm and not in any way meant as a serious infraction against their authority. As a general rule, we're not some underground illegal website, so I'm more inclined than disinclined to comply with identified legal authorities.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

If Null is an Amerikwan, and his website is in Amerikwa, then NZ authorities aren't "local" authorities to him, despite the Kiwi Farms name. That would be like calling the Ethiopian Police local authorities if they contact me about.. some of our Ethiopian users.

I take local to mean Australian. As in local Australian Police either walk into my office, or send me a letter. As an Australian, I'd be inclined to comply with Australian law. I'm less inclined to comply with the law of other countries, although I'm likely to seek professional legal advice at the point that happens. It also depends on what "it" is. And how much troll potential it has. Any law enforcement agency reading this should read this as sarcasm and not in any way meant as a serious infraction against their authority. As a general rule, we're not some underground illegal website, so I'm more inclined than disinclined to comply with identified legal authorities.

Well, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Lax rules resulting in constant and massive posting against the Synagogue of Satan NWO mainstream culture IS going to bite you in the ass eventually.
Nice way to treat your users, too. "We have no respect for anyone here and will throw you to the wolves at the first sign of trouble but feel free to post whatever you want!"

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
Well, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Lax rules resulting in constant and massive posting against the Synagogue of Satan NWO mainstream culture IS going to bite you in the ass eventually.
Nice way to treat your users, too. "We have no respect for anyone here and will throw you to the wolves at the first sign of trouble but feel free to post whatever you want!"
This is an RPG forum. It's ok, posting about RPGs isn't going to get you arrested.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Imagine having a business.

Imagine a frequent bunch of "customers" who do nothing but insult you and your staff day to day. They spread rumors about your benzo addiction and claim that you are a pedophile. They frequently insult other customers. They draw swastikas on the walls of your business, causing police to show up frequently.

When you are forced to clean up the swastikas, they call you a kike-sympathizer and complain that you are infringing upon their rights.

This has gone on for years.

Those customers have paid for anything.

Now try to convince me that the Codex isn't a LEA honeypot and Infinitron isn't into S&M.

A horse of course

Gonna have to side with the jannies here. I understand people seeing a degree of hypocrisy in the Luckmann antifa dossier thing, but there's still a difference between, as far as I can tell, Infinitron or Roguey or whatever going "hey, one of our users has this antifa dossier on him with all his personal details", (which doesn't seem like unreasonable topic for admins to discuss) in what were supposed to be semi-private admin forums, and what people were doing to Infatitron, which is constantly spamming his irl name in public chat, for no discernable reason other than "letting him know" that they have his real identity. Combined with the fact that current and former users here have openly threatened to contact "the media" or "the authorities" or "DU's business associates" or "Infinitron's employer" and so on because they were butthurt over something, I can understand the Codex shifting to a more hardline stance on privacy issues. Anyone who doesn't see why Infinitron's irl identity is an issue is either underage or completely tone-deaf to the current political climate. Yeah, he used to be laissez-faire about it, but now he doesn't want to be a potential target.

And let's be 100% honest here - this latest flareup wasn't over some random, productive poster who happens to be a nazi (e.g. our foot-sniffing friend). They always happen over people who have displayed a consistent pattern of going over the line, then rules-lawyering in site feedback. It's shit like this that spurred discussions over shutting down the off-topic/political subforums. Yeah, some other poasters got tempbans for what they probably thought was just another meme. But on the whole the jannies have tried to be reasonable about it, and are obviously grappling with how it might conflict with the site's free-speech philosophy.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This is an RPG forum. It's ok, posting about RPGs isn't going to get you arrested.
Are you sure about that? Kwan politics is sipping in to everything. There could come up a time where criticizing people in RPGs to be deemed illegal. The situation is changing constantly,it could become quite the thing.

Alter Sack

Magister
As I said above, if you are genuinely concerned about that as a risk, then you need to seriously re-consider what you're posting on the Codex. It appears a large group of people think this is some kind of haven that will protect them when real shit goes down. That they can attack and abuse not only my website, but myself, and my volunteer staff, and when the Police come knocking asking about those users? Oh sure, we'll protect dick-head McScumBucket who's been shitting on us all day. :roll:

Well, somehow the codex seems to have developed from a rpg forum to a haven of free speech over the years.

And I think your administration/moderation is directly responsible for that.

In my opinion it's not about protecting Mr. Scumbag but about protecting free speech (even Mr. Scumbags).

I mean I understand that you don't want to oppose your government/police because this forum is only a hobby (let alone the financial expenses and stress it would cause).

And in case of CP or other real criminal offenses concerning the forum I think everybody understands that you will cooperate with the specific authorities.

But what about cases which aren't so clear, especially considering the current development in some western countries to criminalize free speech.

For example:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-right-offend-say-judges-landmark-ruling.html

What would you do if some foreign police force contacts you about the personal data of Mr. Scumbag because he badmouthed some trannies on rpgcodex and may be guilty of a hate crime (guilty of free speech)?

Would you fork over the information without question or tell them to pound some sand?

What about if the australian police contacts you because of the same issue on behalf of a foreign police force?

Will you check what it is about or simply hand over the information?

Considering the current political climate and the direction in which it develops such a case seems not too far off.

I think clarification would be interesting for some members here.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Every single forum that has minimal rules got into legal trouble. Happened to Something Awful, happened to 4ch, happened to KF.
You obviously put enough thought into the situation that you already determined the most convenient way out for yourself, but not enough thought or effort to put up a defense.
What a great boss you are.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
lol I can post "gas the kikes" and I have a Hitler cuddle pillow. In my country, doing both of these things gets you shot. Also DU go fuck yourself and Infinitron you're a cock-muncher. OHOH WHO TOLD THE POLICE. DU I NEED YOU TO DIE ON A HILL FOR ME. PROTECT ME PLZ. DU? DU???

I will seek appropriate legal advice at the time. If that legal advice is, "they can't do shit", then they can go and get fucked. But if that legal advice is, "yeah, Australia has an agreement with that country and basically hand it over or you go to prison", then I'm not dying on a hill for you.

No, I'm not getting legal advice in advance of every possible scenario that's likely to happen. Real lawyers cost a lot of money. It's only internet lawyers that'll give you their crap and mostly incorrect advice for free.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Are you really so desperate to post here? Why fight for it if that privilege is taken away? Is posting here really so special to you? Why is that?
Having ~3 posts/day hardly sounds desperate.

The reason I do VALUE this place is because it's the only place where you can have a semblance of freedom of conversation, other than 4chan. That said, I'm not going to sing dithyrambs (passionate praise) to this forum, because right now it's in the middle of turning to shit.

And I would obviously like it not to happen. The groundless bans go against what makes this place different from thousands of forums with power tripping admins and surreal rules. Now you can't say the t-word here, much like you can't say the n-word on normie websites. One rule closer to those other forums, woo hoo. We just had our toes touching shit, but now we're ankle-deep in modern day sensibilities. Good job on making that happen, congrats.

Your account is a privilege, not a right
I can take down the entire rodeo baby.
You're delusional. It's a public website with an open registration, and it's free as air. Open up a shop, come out one day and claim that the air in your shop is privilege. See how many people will fall to their knees and thank you for "letting them breath", and how many will make a cuckoo sign. "Shopping here is a privilege". The same way a shop doesn't exist without customers, this forum doesn't exist without accounts that people are invited and encouraged to register. This is the lifeblood of the forum.

Nobody would give two shits if you shut down the forum, either. Try pulling it, I'll register a new codex in minutes, it'll be like nothing happened some time later. It'd be good riddance, too. No more abuses, how wonderful would that be.

but this website exists because of me, not you
Incorrect, the website is a framework AND content, the TWO exist because of both your side of the bargain and the users'. Most users came here when you were sane of mind and had good manners, and promised to treat them with respect, and wrote coherent rules. And you're now shitting on and letting your admins shit on them. This is disrespectful, so don't whine about "bad Kalin and Co didn't accord me some common courtesy". By banning him, you proved him right. Way to turn a good platform into a fucking power tripping ride for some 2-3 people. Idiot.

Pretty sure you'll find the jury siding with me on that one, being in the negative on that point.
What jury, you mean the supporting brofists up your ass that I can't even see? You've got megalomania if you take the fisting of the simple minded masses for any form of actual encouragement in life. If you made Kruno admin, they'd fist you the same amount using your "funny emojis".

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
As an admin, you're here only to protect the website's interests, not your own. As for your own interests as a user, you have the ignore button - use it.
It seems to me some participants in this discussion are trying their best to appear mentally impaired.

Again, this place has TWO RULES: (1) don't post pedo shit, and (2) if a user genuinely wants you to stop harassing him, you stop harassing him. TWO RULES: If you break one of them, you've already violated 50% of the rule book.

Infinitron (a user) genuinely wanted Kalin to stop harassing him. Kalin disrespected his request multiple times and he got a temporary ban, exactly like any other user in his same situation before him. Moderators are here to enforce the rules, and Infinitron enforced them now exactly as they enforced them previously on Liberal.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
By the way, telling that only the resident turbo retards like Scruffy are defending DU.
But leaders attract the appropriate followers. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom