Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jupiter Hell Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: ChaosForge; Hyperstrange; Jupiter Hell

After almost eight years of development including two years in Early Access, DoomRL successor Jupiter Hell has finally been released. The game has received several additional updates since its launch date was announced back in February, with the final one replacing its final episode entirely. The brief "release spotlight" trailer features snippets of gameplay alongside clips from the Doom comic-esque cinematic trailer from last month. Here it is along with the release announcement:

As the Dante Station opens its gates, the final act of our Sci-Fi horror is ready to play. Join us, and conquer Hell!

After years of development, it is with great pleasure that I can finally announce - Jupiter Hell comes out of access - we're out of Beta and releasing on time!

This is not just a "final touch" update. No, that would be too easy! This is a complete replacement of the fourth and final episode - Beyond is no more, welcome Dante Station!

Along with Dante comes a completely new final boss and a new complex, challenging and demanding boss fight! Expect to die.

Moreover, three new enemies have been added. One is the summoner who relieved of boss duty took the much more relatable "warlock" name (and comes with an arch and exalted variant!), with completely new mechanics. You may meet him as early as Io.

The other two are robotic enemies encountered only on Dante Station. The sentinel might be annoying, but fairly weak. The guardian you should fear. Testing required two nerfs already.

Additionally we've done a lot of UI UX improvements, we hope you'll notice them yourself when you play!

And as usual, a ton of bugfixes. I tried to keep this short today, as I hope you cannot wait to dive in!

What's Next
One more thing. Is this the end of the journey? No, it is just the beginning! Jupiter Hell may finally be a complete game, but it's a roguelike, and like all roguelikes, there's always something to add! And boy do we have a lot of ideas! We'll fix any outstanding bugs, then take a much needed rest, and jump right back to it! Expect news on 1.1 this year.

That's it for today, make sure to make use of the 20% launch discount - it's here for a limited time!

Rip & tear turn after turn after turn... in Jupiter Hell!
Good luck.

Jupiter Hell is available on Steam and GOG for $25 with a 20% launch discount until August 15th. We now await the final Darth Roxor verdict.

Last edited by a moderator:

dacencora

DoomRL was nice. Is this also nice?
I like DoomRL more than Jupiter Hell overall. I personally prefer 2D for this kind of a game, and I miss the diagonal movements in DRL when playing JH. But I still quite like Jupiter Hell.

Bought it and played it for a couple runs. Mechanically it seems pretty solid, and performance-wise it seems well-optimized and quite stable. Nice tone and VA as well, although I did roll my eyes when the game asked me if I wanted to clean up the language or make it less comedically over-the-top. Was that seriously a requested feature? Lawl.

Edit: Also it's annoying that controls don't allow for alternate keybinds and rebinding the movement controls doesn't change the menu controls. I changed the movement scheme from arrowpad keys to keypad 8426 since that's my preferred scheme for keyboard only games, but when I navigate through menus (computers, main menu, etc.) I still have to use the arrowpad because the game apparently considers menu navigation differently.

Edit 2: Herp Derp. I'm dumb and didn't notice there is a separate sub-menu for editing UI keybinds.

Last edited:

fork

[...] although I did roll my eyes when the game asked me if I wanted to clean up the language or make it less comedically over-the-top. Was that seriously a requested feature? Lawl.

In 2021? Of course it was. The retarded thing is wasting dev time on it, whether it has been requested or not is quite irrelevant.

Oh, and DoomRL is better in every way, except graphics (but including art style (sound familiar?)). Not to mention roguelikes are supposed to be free. I don't know of a single one which would be worth paying for. Maybe Infra Arcana, a buck or two.

Last edited by a moderator:

dacencora

[...] although I did roll my eyes when the game asked me if I wanted to clean up the language or make it less comedically over-the-top. Was that seriously a requested feature? Lawl.

In 2021? Of course it was. The retarded thing is wasting dev time on it, whether it has been requested or not is quite irrelevant.

Oh, and DoomRL is better in every way, except graphics (but including art style (sound familiar?)). Not to mention roguelikes are supposed to be free. I don't know of a single one which would be worth paying for. Maybe Infra Arcana, a buck or two.
I like the graphics of DoomRL more, too, actually.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Beat the game on medium using a melee build. I steamrolled through the latter half of the game once the build clicked.

Pretty fun game, will probably try a few more builds on hard.

I'm probably being dumb, but I seem to be stuck in a failed seed. I'm in Callisto Mines L1, and the map is completely cleared and explored, but the only elevator leads to a single room workshop with no other exits. Am I missing something?

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
It's pretty fun, right up until you run up against the purple bastards that bum rush you. Been trying the dualy pistol build, which is probably not 'optimal'.
That's a complaint I have with a lot of rogue-like games how you end up being an autist to min-max the game, takes a lot of the fun out of it all for me

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
random fun is never supposed to end. Game creates for you loop to walk for never ending fun

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Random generation right? Seems sone seeds create dead ends.
Well that’s fucking dumb if true.

i've never had a dead end or even heard about one, and i played through this many times, but i did run into minor glitches with munsters spawning inside walls - you must have encountered an extremely rare bug

i've never had a dead end or even heard about one, and i played through this many times, but i did run into minor glitches with munsters spawning inside walls - you must have encountered an extremely rare bug

Interesting. In that case I’ll make a report to the dev as I still have the run.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I played a different game that had random seeds and lordy the crap that would generate. Funny but that game would over time create a new level.

Interesting. In that case I’ll make a report to the dev as I still have the run.
It turns out I am a complete retard who apparently can’t visually distinguish between open and closed doors in this game. The exit was in a closet that I thought was open, but apparently was not. Very embarrassing.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
the lame version of doomrl, much more streamlined and for my taste, worse game.

still a decent one and great for newcomers to the genre or people who don't like to over-complicate things with tons of features that can be overwhelming

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
This game creams but the music is way too repetitive

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
This game creams but the music is way too repetitive

Then put it on mute and play music of your own taste in the background? Lost Themes by John Carpenter is a good choice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom