Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Midnight Suns gameplay trailers reveal card-based combat

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Firaxis Games; Marvel's Midnight Suns

Today's Marvel's Midnight Suns gameplay reveal turned out to be a rather cringeworthy twenty minute livestream at IGN, half of which consisted of an interview segment that already aired during Gamescom. The main takeaway from the two new gameplay trailers is that Midnight Suns will feature, that's right, card-based combat. It also appears to lack tactical movement in the traditional sense, with no grid in sight. Everything else is pretty much as you'd expect from last week's previews.

Well, they weren't lying when they said this was going to be nothing like XCOM. According to a new update on the official website, there's a gameplay stream scheduled for September 7th, but I think we're going to be be taking a step back from this game for now.

Draconis

Liturgist
Well that was unexpected, I bet they are gonna get a lot of shit from capeshit cucks now.

deuxhero

Arcane
Huh. Didn't expect that.

As a sucker for single player TCG sims, I have to say this doesn't look great and I worry it will be an excuse for microtransactions.

deuxhero

Arcane
Being card based would allow them to do Nico well: She could use every card in the game, but only once.

agris

Arcane
Patron
So Infinitron remember how I was asking if you want to give attention to a game with nothing known about the mechanics? This kinda vindicates it.

I’m not trying to dunk, hopefully you can see how you contributed to the hype machine for a game that isn’t in-line with core codex interest. And not do it next time.

Zeriel

Arcane
Capeshit is the worst thing that ever happened to mankind.

It's fine in its own space, nothing wrong with the comic games back in the day like X-men on the Sega Genesis or Comix Zone, but capeshit becoming a cultural juggernaut that replaces everything else was indeed a horrible occurence.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Huh. Didn't expect that.

As a sucker for single player TCG sims, I have to say this doesn't look great and I worry it will be an excuse for microtransactions.
Exactly the same here.

Card mechanics don't turn me off, although in this case I question the need - why not just make it a traditional turn-based combat thing?

But given the Disney connection IN COMBINATION with card mechanics? That's a flag as red as 0xFF0000.
Makes you think they only decided to do card mechanics in order to sell cards.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, one card talk about moves:

But it could be used just instead of action/playing a card.
Training Dummy:
Hero moves can be used to apply Shove or Knockback to enemies on the battlefield.

and at 244:
3 Card Plays
1 Move
1 Redraw

If it is more like trials of Fire/Cardhunters than Slay the Spire(I love StS, but I don't need yet another clone of it...), I could be ok with the card system.

Last edited:

Luka-boy

Arcane
Yeah I'll pass. This is the only kind of card-based combat that I'd want in a game with this setting.
marvel_gambit_2015_by_wil_woods_d95shmn-fullview.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom