Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - dark fantasy reimagining of FF1 from Team Ninja

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
New demo is fun. Game still looks really bad.

It looks like hot garbage tbh.
Latest trailer is a HUGE improvement from the first one. The first trailer made me think that the game was just a monochromatic souls-like that took place in a big tower, and that the only characters were a bunch of angry emo kids who stepped out of a Gap commercial, and that the only dialogue in the game pertained to how much we need to kill Chaos. The latest trailer looks roughly like FF1 remade for the Tales generation, but more Goth. And if that's what the game really is, then that's not a bad thing. I'm still not a fan of the crystalizing death-blows (I really felt bad for that little cactuar), but at least Mr. Anger-Management-Issues no longer seems to be the main character.

Duraframe300

Arcane
New demo is fun. Game still looks really bad.

It looks like hot garbage tbh.
Latest trailer is a HUGE improvement from the first one. The first trailer made me think that the game was just a monochromatic souls-like that took place in a big tower, and that the only characters were a bunch of angry emo kids who stepped out of a Gap commercial, and that the only dialogue in the game pertained to how much we need to kill Chaos. The latest trailer looks roughly like FF1 remade for the Tales generation, but more Goth. And if that's what the game really is, then that's not a bad thing. I'm still not a fan of the crystalizing death-blows (I really felt bad for that little cactuar), but at least Mr. Anger-Management-Issues no longer seems to be the main character.

No

Edit: Seriously, no.

Duraframe300

Arcane
timestamped to epic part

I still haven't figured out what Chaos even IS here. Originally he's just a form achieved by Garland by absorbing the four fiends (in addition to the power he already had thanks to the Dark Crystal). Here this seems to be made into some over the top random mumbo jumbo.

I mean I know I have to stop comparing this to my FF1 memories and just enjoy the insanity. It just seems to be harder than with other games for some reason. (Like Dissidia's crazyness).

Last edited:

Lincolnberry

Educated
Doesn't look great visually but the consensus seems to be gameplay is pretty good. A class system with Nioh combat and a little magic on the side? Sounds like a really fun idea to me, tbh. Guess we'll see on the final execution.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
:incline:

I wonder what Nomura means by this. (Stranger of Paradise x Versus XIII)
1639830161686.jpg

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, it absolutely does. I had no doubt as it's coming from Team Ninja. Shits gonna be good, mark my words.

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Yeah my intuition about this game has been positive, despite my loathing for Nomura or anything Nomura esque, and not having liked a Square game since Playstation 2. I don't think it's going to be great, masterpiece, or classic (maybe cult), but I think it will be an above average if unremarkable h&s game

Jinn

Arcane
above average if unremarkable h&s game

I have zero expectations about the handling of the storyline or presentation. However, I have a feeling it's going to be legitimately good - and possibly even great - where gameplay is concerned, which is of course what we should all be primarily concerned with. Cult classic does seem likely to me in this case.

Wasn't there a demo for this thing? I tried downloading it but I can't find it anywhere in the ps store.

cruel

Cipher
Only for a limited time, unfortunately. Hoping they will put another one closer to release date, same as they did with Nioh.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Silentstorm

Learned
I doubt anyone will be impressed by the plot, but it's the gameplay that people want...particularly from a game made by Team Ninja, still a bit odd that it's a FF1 prequel, that game didn't exactly have a lot of plot to a point where i think this could have just been a spin-off or it's own attempt at establishing a new franchise...but Final Fantasy sells.

Can't wait for Final Fantasy Origin 2, this time it's a FF2 prequel!

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I hope they do a create a character for the sequel so I don't have to play as nu-metal man. It's what made Nioh 2 awesome.

Ooh, or even better, full party customization.

Jinn

Arcane
Epic Store exclusive and laughably bad trailer. Still hyped! Going to get it as soon as it comes to Steam probably 6 months to a year later.

Suicidal

Arcane
This is the first time I'm tempted to get a game on Epic before it comes to steam, but I have a strong suspicion that it won't run on my old ass PC so I probably will end up waiting anyway. By the time I get a new PC it will be on Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom