Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Touhou Labyrinth of Touhou 2 - Expansion Disk Translation Now Available, Too

mogwaimon

Magister
i also bought it but I wish they'd started by bringing the first game over. Maybe they will if this gets enough sales? would be nice to see Genius of Sappheiros and Fantasy Maiden Wars make it to Steam in English as well. tbh I haven't played a whole lot of these games yet but it's always good to have more good games getting translated.

Suicidal

Arcane
This is probably the only time in my life when I gave the devs money for the same game twice, but those autists deserve it.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
With this release I have officially run out of reasons to delay trying this series any longer.
0G160WH.png

Any important beginner tips?

Suicidal

Arcane
Try to endure the beginning 3 or so dungeon floors, they are the most boring part of the game, it really opens up after you get more party members than you can bring with you at any given moment so you actually have to think about who to bring for which encounter.

Unless you want to do all the optional shit, you will not need to grind in this game. If you're stuck on a boss, try a different strategy. For example, if you see that all your abilities do 0 damage to an enemy, there are ways around that.

Don't dump all your resources into a few characters (this is the only situation where you can get stuck and be forced to grind).

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I have never played any Touhou game before, but I will pump all my ressources into the Yata Garuso girl with the nuclear reactor arm because she has the best remixes.

Arthandas

Prophet
The funny thing about Touhou is the best games are actually not the shmups made by the original author but various fangames like this or Touhou Luna Nights

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

Arthandas

Prophet
Isn't that the point of Touhou? The series mostly got popular because it was one of the first to be basically open license
I know why it's popular but there are so many high quality fan games (and other media) and the IP is so widespread that a large portion of the fandom never actually played a "true" Touhou game made by Zun and I find it a bit funny.

Suicidal

Arcane
Now that I'm done with my current games it's time for a second playthrough of this in which I'll finally see the DLC content. I'll try going hard mode and also abstaining from using the super broken units (at least until I reach the new areas). Wish me luck boys.

Suicidal

Arcane
Finished the original story campaign today. I was worried that the game would be not as fun on a second playthrough and that it wouldn't be as good as I remembered it but to my surprise I had a lot of fun and this playthrough even promoted it to one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

I challenged myself to use as many different characters as possible and to not use certain broken ones and as a result a lot of the boss encountered felt fresh even if I had fought them before. Although I still don't understand the purpose of some of the characters like Mystia or Chen but it's ok, with so many different options the game gives you it's silly to expect sawyeristic balance and everything to be viable.

What I found really cool is that even though I remembered how most of the boss fights worked and what they did, I still needed at least a few attempts (and a few dozen on some of the harder ones) to kill them. This is one of the extremely rare RPGs where simply knowing the enemy and doing some rudimentary preparation does not guarantee victory, you still need to actually play the fucking game and beat them by making good decisions and reacting correctly to what's happening.

Now it's finally time to check out the expansion content. At least that's what I would like to say, but upon entering the new area my entire party was oneshot by the first random trash mob I came across, so it's probably intended that you do some of the post game stuff first. Not ideal, but not surprising, I've seen this before in other games.

Amurada

Educated
I challenged myself to use as many different characters as possible and to not use certain broken ones and as a result a lot of the boss encountered felt fresh even if I had fought them before.
Care to share which characters were too OP? Just recently 100% completed Dungeon Encounters, and I enjoyed the game immensley prior to stumbling upon the optimal game setup given a few key characters that turn the game's moderate difficulty into an absolute joke. I've gotten to the trio on floor 12 in LoT1, and plan on going back to beat it soon. By the time I get around to the second game, I would prefer to avoid any OP units that ruin the experience.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
that bird lady with insta move to target is pretty busted
also horn lady can kill many bosses with few buffs with couple moves

Suicidal

Arcane
I challenged myself to use as many different characters as possible and to not use certain broken ones and as a result a lot of the boss encountered felt fresh even if I had fought them before.
Care to share which characters were too OP? Just recently 100% completed Dungeon Encounters, and I enjoyed the game immensley prior to stumbling upon the optimal game setup given a few key characters that turn the game's moderate difficulty into an absolute joke. I've gotten to the trio on floor 12 in LoT1, and plan on going back to beat it soon. By the time I get around to the second game, I would prefer to avoid any OP units that ruin the experience.

What the person above me said + I would also add Nitori (shopkeeper girl) for the same reason (absurd burst damage vs 1 target) and Mokou (fire girl), who is a tank that cannot die and thus completely trivializes certain boss encounters that revolve around the boss doing lots of damage to your leftmost character.

With that being said, I only encourage not to use them in the base story campaign. Once you reach post-game just go all out on the cheese or risk going insane from all the bullshit the game throws at you.

Suicidal

Arcane
Finally beat the expansion.

Technically there is still some more content left to beat but I decided to give it a rest for now.

I enjoyed it greatly - it more than doubles the size of the original game and adds a lot of interesting enemies, characters, classes and even new skills to old characters some of which can give them entirely new roles to fill.

I also liked the addition of the rogue-like side dungeon that offers a much more fun way of getting loot instead of fishing for 1% drops off mobs.

I didn't like 2 things:

It becomes too grindy towards the end. The main "story" of the expansion is nicely balanced, starting at around lvl 140 and finishing at 300 and if you don't run from every encounter and properly explore everything you will never be underleveled and understat for the next boss encounter. After you beat the main final boss, more areas open up and the next target is the lvl 500 "true" final boss. A pretty big jump, but still, I reached that point without needing to grind for more than like 10 minutes total. However, after that the game keeps going and there are challenge bosses starting at level 700 and by that point you have already explored the vast majority of the dungeon. You can do an event that gives you enough EXP for 100 levels and a lot of money but even with that you will still be vastly understat for those bosses, which are some of the hardest content in the game.

I actually powered through and beat them (there are 4 total, the last one ending at level 1200) but the game still doesn't end and then there's a boss rush level culminating in a fight against an even stronger version of the previous final boss at level 2000 and that's where I draw the line.

It wouldn't be as bad if you could grind for EXP and money in the roguelike dungeon but unfortunately it's very undertuned in terms of battle rewards compared to the regular static dungeon and is only good for getting loot and some special items.

Another thing I don't like is that because the levels of your party and the enemies start going to the thousands, it results in extreme numbers inflation which reduces the clarity of combat. HP of your characters starts measuring in the millions, their damage in tens (sometimes in hundreds) of millions. It's very hard to see how much damage the enemy did to you because by the time your process how many digits that huge number had it disappears off the screen. Also everything becomes very very fast and everyone's turn bar starts filling in a microsecond, which makes turn order and formation manipulation (which is like half the fun of combat in this game) more frustrating and less fun.

On the other hand, it clearly shows that the devs are learning and improving - a lot of the expansion bosses are more mechanically interesting than the original game bosses, there's also more clarity about boss mechanics, like if a boss gets permanent stat increases for doing X or Y, the game actually shows that with a little animation and text, as opposed to some of the bosses in the original that get free permanent stats each turn behind the scenes and there is nothing indicating that it's happening until suddenly one of its farts oneshots your entire party and you're left clueless as to what happened. I hope improvements such as these continue into LoT 3.

To all the people who played the original, but have yet to play the expansion, I highly recommend it just don't be an autist like me and stop after the level 500 boss (unless you actually enjoy grinding, in which case go wild).

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Got the itch for some dungeon crawling and purchased this today on steam, after I remembered that was high regarded around here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom