Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's talk about Lacrymas' homebrew fantasy setting where paladins are eunuchs

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The onus is on the architect of this madness for taking in a self-admitted saboteur at this point, then.
This is exactly what I wanted. I wanted someone who is ready and already willing to tell me the worst possible things about it.

Demo.Graph

Liturgist
Plot twist!

Mages live on the clouds and gather all the mana that might've seeped below otherwise. Then they beam that mana on quota to the "clerics" below. Clerics organize an industrial-scale suffering in exchange, believing that mages are gods. All those rapecamp unborn castrations are there for a reason - people need to suffer. Mages then filter their emotions into raegmana. Because human emotions are produced by souls and emanate right out of godspark. Only godspark products tinted red can be molded into weapons that are able to harm horrors from outside the world. The horrors gnaw on the edges of the world and cloudmages are scared shitless of them. And they think, they're losing, because horrors become more aggressive with each new century.
There're no mages on the ground, because cloudmage agents gather all potential pupils and throw them into the grinder of the eternal horror war. And those they do miss can't really become proper mages because of the mana filter in the sky. Cloudmages are highly sophisticated (fascistic) bureaucracy. There's a possibility for scenes involving mage-managers trying to increase pain production without damaging population reproduction too much, with waterfall charts and stuff.
Orcs are artificially maintained by skymages as an enemy for the priests' empire to generate more angst.
Skymages are directly against improving living conditions below because they're too afraid of weakening their own weapons production. And because lovemana that is produced by happy humans would attract even more horrors (or so they think; there's might be another twist - horrors are "immune cells of the multiverse", carrion birds attracted by suffering, so skymages unknowingly make the crisis worse).

Does the setting looks more interesting this way?

Cael

Arcane
Plot twist!

Mages live on the clouds and gather all the mana that might've seeped below otherwise. Then they beam that mana on quota to the "clerics" below. Clerics organize an industrial-scale suffering in exchange, believing that mages are gods. All those rapecamp unborn castrations are there for a reason - people need to suffer. Mages then filter their emotions into raegmana. Because human emotions are produced by souls and emanate right out of godspark. Only godspark products tinted red can be molded into weapons that are able to harm horrors from outside the world. The horrors gnaw on the edges of the world and cloudmages are scared shitless of them. And they think, they're losing, because horrors become more aggressive with each new century.
There're no mages on the ground, because cloudmage agents gather all potential pupils and throw them into the grinder of the eternal horror war. And those they do miss can't really become proper mages because of the mana filter in the sky. Cloudmages are highly sophisticated (fascistic) bureaucracy. There's a possibility for scenes involving mage-managers trying to increase pain production without damaging population reproduction too much, with waterfall charts and stuff.
Orcs are artificially maintained by skymages as an enemy for the priests' empire to generate more angst.
Skymages are directly against improving living conditions below because they're too afraid of weakening their own weapons production. And because lovemana that is produced by happy humans would attract even more horrors (or so they think; there's might be another twist - horrors are "immune cells of the multiverse", carrion birds attracted by suffering, so skymages unknowingly make the crisis worse).

Does the setting looks more interesting this way?
Yes. At least there is a real reason for all the incoherent shit that the idiot had stuttered through.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Sorry for reanimating this thread, but I wanna suggest magery for Lacrymas(obviously he does anything that he wanna, just a suggestion)
  1. Magery is NPC only
  2. Magery is inherently evil and chaotic.
  3. Magery fells completely alien and unnatural.
  4. Magery is hated and a inquisition wanna eradicate everyone suspected to be a magician.
  5. Mages area always chaotic evil and get vulnerability vs fire, radiant and holy damage.

If most divine spells from clerics and druids deals fire and radiant damage, arcane magic should deal cold and necrotic damage mostly. all PHB spell which deals fire, radiant or any type of energy is "re writen" to deal cold or necrotic damage. Eg - Fireball becomes Eldritch Ball. Becoming a magic user involves making a pact with dangerous nasty alien creatures and that is the unique way to get magical knowledge and one of the few ways to get scrolls. This creatures demands a high cost for the service, like in exchange of a circle 5 spell like cone of cold, the magic user must sacrifice five innocent people in a ritual sacricie which steals the soul of the victims and give it to the eldritch demon. If the mages fails to please the demon, the demon becomes hostile towards the mage and he has crazy high resistances vs magic as creature of pure eldritch arcane energy.

The eldritch demon instead of a being of fire(as demons traditionally are) will be a being of pure coldness and darkness. Any PC who attempts to become a magic user becomes chaotic evil and under the GM control. He is no longer a PC, he is now a NPC villain. Far away from the main desert where the adventure takes place, there are a desolated tundra, full of ice, snowstorms, ruled by a very fascist magocracy. Politically speaking, they are akin to Morrowind's house Telvanni. Very chaotic, but far more authoritarian against common people. Where the strong rule over the weak and most people living there are slaves. Their "mage towers" are akin to Telvanni buildings but "snowy",

They developed some really nasty rituals. Criminals are often transformed into trolls and mages constantly cut the limbs of the trolls to get meat to eat exploiting the regeneration of trolls. Every peasant in the villages get their intelligence tested with divination magic. Those who have high IQ are often awarded apprenticeship with powerful mages. Those with low IQ are thralls.

Powerful mages some times fear their apprentices and send then in suicide missions or kill then in plain sight. But that is rare as they are incredible arrogant.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Don't forget "magery is GAY". At least inquisition can just round all men in dresses for easy solution to the problem.

Lacrymas

Arcane
That gives me an idea - arcane magic is only available to homosexuals (bisexuals don't cut it, not gay enough). Have fun.

Oberon

Learned
That gives me an idea - arcane magic is only available to homosexuals. Have fun.
This makes a lot of sense actually. Didn't Aleister Crowley himself swear by the effectiveness of gay sodomy is sex rituals?
Probably something to do with the inherent evil of such a vile and unnatural act being pleasing to demons, like child blood sacrifices.

Lacrymas

Arcane
This makes a lot of sense actually. Didn't Aleister Crowley himself swear by the effectiveness of gay sodomy is sex rituals?
The power, he argues, comes from transgressing societal norms, not anal sex between men in itself. He was a bottom btw.

Oberon

Learned
The power, he argues, comes from transgressing societal norms, not anal sex between men in itself. He was a bottom btw.
A microcosm of the great transgression by his master Lucifer, the original radical. As above so below.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
how about you get off your ass and organize that S&W game you promised us?

I din't promised, just said that if there is nobody to DM, I maybe can try. And was not S&W, was AS&SH(astonishing swordsman and sorcerers of hyperborea). Only you seems interested in playing and I din't tough that the game was that rule heavy. BTW, teh game is very Conanesque and much less magical than D&D.

You can see Greater Daemons with 8 hit dices and lv 8 and at this level, PC's are expected to own strongholds, become the Barbarian chieftain, owning a Assassin's guild and so on. Getting a level requires spending gold and weeks in game time to get a single level. Casters also require more XP to level up compared to non casters and casters can't cause massive meteor rains multiple times per day. Freezing a enemy heart(circle 6) or summoning Ice Daemons(which is very risky) is the maximum that a cryomancer can attain in game. The lv cap is 12.

Also has a lot of cool classes, Cataphract all about mounted combat, Berserker, Barbarian, Runegreaver, Shaman, Illusionist, Necromancer, Cryomancer and so on. Many classes are a bit different than traditional 2E D&D. The game also has a unique calendar And a amazing arstyle

jHCoAYv.png
Source of image https://www.hyperborea.tv/

Yes, because the setting is alive in our hearts still.

Yep. Most memorable setting of the Codex. Eunuch Paladins will be memorable as "roll for Anal circumference" from FATAL.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
Tauting a Conan setting game and not alerting the resident barbarian is a crime that can only be settled via getting Crom'd.

SoupNazi

how about you get off your ass and organize that S&W game you promised us?

I din't promised, just said that if there is nobody to DM, I maybe can try. And was not S&W, was AS&SH(astonishing swordsman and sorcerers of hyperborea). Only you seems interested in playing and I din't tough that the game was that rule heavy. BTW, teh game is very Conanesque and much less magical than D&D.

Blah blah blah. You're just talk but no action. Everyone else who wanted to get a TTRPG going on the 'Dex has managed, including me who has no clout AND I ran a completely obscure ruleset AND an extremely unusual setting.

You've exerted zero effort in trying to run it or even trying to get someone else to run it, therefor you are a fluke and your words no longer have any honor.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In DnD they could easilly be stopped by divine casters, gods and other supernatural beings. DnD settings are wizard-dominated not because it cannot be avoided, but because the people who write them are nerds.
FoB3Gj0.jpeg

LOL.

I'm a dyehard magefag who always plays as a magic user and work out every single day(except in weekends), and am quite strong. I can "cock" my 175 lbf crossbow using my bare hands only, can accurately fire multiple shots of a .30-06 rifle in rapid succession, have no problem dealing with the recoil of a shotgun either. Can lift 100 kg in bench press and 500kg(about 1100 lb) in leg press 45º. My job is very nerdy too(I'm a developer).

Here is a video as proof of my Strength. Before Reinhardt mentions the "black guys", as he is the greatest african lover on Codex, I live in a white minority country. So most people in my gym are not white.

You've exerted zero effort in trying to run it or even trying to get someone else to run it, therefor you are a fluke and your words no longer have any honor.

You are right. I should have putted more effort. Sadly I'm not a good DM. I had only two DM experiences in my life.

1 - My old 3E high school group. Nobody wanted to DM, so we had a DM "rotation".
2 - A single S&W game after the first DM DMed the group and everyone leaved after a first session.

I've used mostly pre made maps from the Ship of Horrors, but honestly, I'm struggling with the most basics aspects in DM. Any tutorial on how to make maps and so on? I really wanna to play or DM it. And if anyone joins, be adviced. I'm not a good DM. Lastly, I"m not promising anything but I will put more effort into it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom